Benjamin traded to Buffalo (per Schefter)

burnoutonme

In Gettleman we tru...oh wait

Not to sound like whiney child after not getting the toy he wanted in a happy meal but REALLY?! Yes I get it, he wasn't the best route runner, couldn't get the most separation from defenders, and had inconsistent hands but tossing away Cam's favorite weapon for only a 3rd & 7th round draft pick?

I get that we went to a SB without this guy, but we also had safety blankets such as Cotchery and Ginn on our roster. Say Funchess goes down, who do we have that we can rely on? Shepard who has never been more than a #3? Samuel who is a rookie that hasn't showed much of anything on the NFL level yet?

If someone can please help me to find a better understanding for this trade be my guest. I pray this doesn't go down as one of the worst front office decisions next to releasing Norman's tag 2 seasons ago.

24 minutes ago, Toughguy77 said:

In Gettleman we tru...oh wait

Not to sound like whiney child after not getting the toy he wanted in a happy meal but REALLY?! Yes I get it, he wasn't the best route runner, couldn't get the most separation from defenders, and had inconsistent hands but tossing away Cam's favorite weapon for only a 3rd & 7th round draft pick?

I get that we went to a SB without this guy, but we also had safety blankets such as Cotchery and Ginn on our roster. Say Funchess goes down, who do we have that we can rely on? Shepard who has never been more than a #3? Samuel who is a rookie that hasn't showed much of anything on the NFL level yet?

If someone can please help me to find a better understanding for this trade be my guest. I pray this doesn't go down as one of the worst front office decisions next to releasing Norman's tag 2 seasons ago.

As an outsiders point of view I think your GM thought you were starting 2 split ends. Funchess and Benjamin are both split end x recievers... Neither had the speed to be a Flanker. Samuel on other hand can be that Flanker that you guys lacked when Kelvin and Devin we're playing outwide.

I'm not sure how I feel about the trade yet.  If you had asked me before the season, I would have been ecstatic.  Benjamin sucked last year.  Now?  Eh.  On one hand, Benjamin has been better this year.  

On the other hand, he still brings our offense down more than people think.  It isn't all his fault; he is simply a terrible fit for our offense.  I don't think our offense would have been as good in 2015 with him for that reason.  When both him and Funchess are on the field, teams don't have a reason to respect us over the top.  Funchess has more potential (in our scheme) and can run a larger variety of routes.  This could also lead to more CMC in the slot, which me be better at this point. 

I'm not familiar with the Bills offense.  They need to use him right.  He isn't a good route-runner and he is really slow, but he has great potential as a #2 possession receiver.  We asked him to go downfield too much.

Simply put, it remains to be seen if this makes us better, if at all.  But I don't think it makes us worse.  And I'm not convinced Gettleman wouldn't have traded him either.

1 hour ago, Toughguy77 said:

that we went to a SB without this guy, but we also had safety blankets such as Cotchery and Ginn on our roster. 

We think that now.  When Benjamin first got injured in 2015, nobody thought we had a chance in the passing game with them as wide receiver.  Cotchery was old and slow and Ginn was a one-trick pony.

We just dumped our best wideout for a 3rd and 7th... do you really think Hurney will get a decent ROI? Dude was cheap, never got hurt outside of the torn ACL, and was looking like he was having his best season yet. No, he wasn't *great* but he was the best we had.

Russell Shepard is gonna be starting against the Falcons next week when we are in the midst of a battle for the division title. Holy crap.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived