Oklahoma, Brent Venables Finalizing Deal as HC of Oklahoma

CWood21

I've always been on the fence about Venables as a HC. Great DC no doubt but his demeanor seems to be the classic defensive hard nosed ra ra type (not saying he doesn't know X and Os), and that personality has proved less than effective at the HC ranks. It just requires something different.

15 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I've always been on the fence about Venables as a HC. Great DC no doubt but his demeanor seems to be the classic defensive hard nosed ra ra type (not saying he doesn't know X and Os), and that personality has proved less than effective at the HC ranks. It just requires something different.

There was no slam dunk candidate this round of hirings, but this is as close as it gets IMO.  Was a bit surprised they were targeting defensive-minded candidates though.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There was no slam dunk candidate this round of hirings, but this is as close as it gets IMO.  Was a bit surprised they were targeting defensive-minded candidates though.

Oh don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with taking the chance. I've just never been as convinced as some others that he'd make a great HC. 

5 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Oh don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with taking the chance. I've just never been as convinced as some others that he'd make a great HC. 

LIS, the coaching candidates this round weren't very good.  I'll gamble on the Venables/Lebby duo, and let's see if they can keep Caleb Williams in the fold.  I'll be interested to see if Venables can poach some of the Clemson defensive commits.  Six of their top 10 commits are on the defensive side of the ball.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

LIS, the coaching candidates this round weren't very good.  I'll gamble on the Venables/Lebby duo, and let's see if they can keep Caleb Williams in the fold.  I'll be interested to see if Venables can poach some of the Clemson defensive commits.  Six of their top 10 commits are on the defensive side of the ball.

If Lebby is the OC, I wouldn't be shocked to see Dillon Gabriel transfer in and beat out Williams for the job.

1 hour ago, Nozizaki said:

If Lebby is the OC, I wouldn't be shocked to see Dillon Gabriel transfer in and beat out Williams for the job.

Until Caleb Williams announces he's transferring, I don't think Oklahoma is even interested in Gabriel.  They will need to start recruiting some QBs though.  As of right now, I think they only have 3 QBs on scholarship (excluding Rattler).