2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

40 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Looking at our depth chart right now I am shocked we haven’t done more at DB in free agency…right now I see two starters in Jackson & Johnson…everyone else is depth at best…Flus was very open about the fact that UT, WLB & NB are the keys to this defence…we were super aggressive in filling the UT spot with Ogunjobi then pivoting to Jones…we brought in Morrow who is a prototype WLB and have Roquan there to compete for that spot but have done nothing at NB…he isn’t the player he used to be but IMO Chris Harris Jr would be an excellent fit for a season…5-9” 199lbs but with super long arms at 33’1/2” he brings the experience and playmaking ability inside we could use for this year and try to find a quality young NB to take over…he shouldn’t be able to command a ton of money at this stage in his career…Tavon Young, Bryce Callahan & Jason Verrett are all excellent players but I just can’t trust their health so Harris would be my top choice…

On the outside I would 100% take Kyle Fuller back in this scheme…Xavier Rhodes would be an obvious fit as well…A. J. Bouye would also make a lot of sense so we have at least a capable starter if we can’t draft a starter early in this year’s draft…

I think SS is a far bigger need for us than most realise…it wouldn’t shock me if a guy like Lewis Cine was available in the 2nd round if we would pull the trigger…there isn’t much left out there in FA in our price range with the likes of Keanu Neal now moving back to SS…I don’t see Tyrann Mathieu being an option.

As far as vet corners go, guys like Bouye, Rhodes, Patrick Peterson, etc., I’d think they would want to sign somewhere they’re going to start which may mean post-draft. They don’t wanna sign somewhere only for that team to then draft a guy in round 1/2 and displace them and possibly leave them without a job.

I’d think DB personnel gets a lot of input from both Flus and Williams. Maybe they like what they saw from Thomas Graham a lot for what they’re looking to do to where they don’t see it as as much of a need as we do. I’ve been expecting that Graham might get a chance to compete for the job but maybe they expect him to win the job.

Even with that, there isn’t yet much of an insurance plan there. But there are a lot of capable guys out there at corner, and that’s a position where you could plug guys in pretty late and have them get up to speed really fast too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm assuming you're referring to the DK Metcalf trade rumor?  Does it makes sense to trade the best WR in football for that package, and then immediately turn around trade that same package for a lesser WR?  Especially for a team that has largely been draft and develop, you are going to go with the guy you're investing less in but getting reasonably similar production.

Adams wanted the be the top paid receiver...and you can't really do that and have the top paid quarterback, too. Unless you want the rest of your team to be a bunch of XFL guys.

I think the trade might happen...but you're absolutely right, the Pack isn't simply going to turn around and give what they got from the Raiders to the Seahawks. They'd give up less than that, or maybe put some '23 picks into the mix. Gutekunst is obviously up to something--this is a great draft for receivers, but he's not just going to put a bunch of rookies out there for Rodgers to throw to. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

On the outside I would 100% take Kyle Fuller back in this scheme…Xavier Rhodes would be an obvious fit as well…A. J. Bouye would also make a lot of sense so we have at least a capable starter if we can’t draft a starter early in this year’s draft…

I think SS is a far bigger need for us than most realise…it wouldn’t shock me if a guy like Lewis Cine was available in the 2nd round if we would pull the trigger…there isn’t much left out there in FA in our price range with the likes of Keanu Neal now moving back to SS…I don’t see Tyrann Mathieu being an option.

Fuller, Rhodes, Peterson. Any one of them works for me. I also think Neal or Mathieu are absolutely doable options. 

We'll see what Poles does. 

16 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

As far as vet corners go, guys like Bouye, Rhodes, Patrick Peterson, etc., I’d think they would want to sign somewhere they’re going to start which may mean post-draft. They don’t wanna sign somewhere only for that team to then draft a guy in round 1/2 and displace them and possibly leave them without a job.

The beauty of the Bears situation is that any of those guys, if signed, CAN be assured a starting job on this squad. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The beauty of the Bears situation is that any of those guys, if signed, CAN be assured a starting job on this squad. 

They would be a starter anywhere they sign in March. My point was that that could potentially change if the team subsequently drafted a corner at the top of the draft. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They would be a starter anywhere they sign in March. My point was that that could potentially change if the team subsequently drafted a corner at the top of the draft. 

I was just pointing out that the Bears have so many different directions they can go in that if they signed, say, Rhodes, then they could draft someone other than a CB. Or trade the pick for more picks. 

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I felt like DBB was looking right into the eyes of @WindyCity when he wrote this. (j/k)

I think Poles' "getting smaller" comment was an oft-kilter jab at the spare tire Jenkins picked up while he was rehabbing his back. Which indicates that Jenkins is almost certainly in Poles' plans...

52 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Poles' "getting smaller" comment was an oft-kilter jab at the spare tire Jenkins picked up while he was rehabbing his back. Which indicates that Jenkins is almost certainly in Poles' plans...

We had a load of guys who were listed as heavy but didn't play up to their weight. Whitehair was listed at 316, Borom at over 330, Ifedi at over 330, Mustipher at over 330, Daniels was almost 330 pounds, etc.

Where was the physicality? Borom had stretches where he anchored really well but wasn't as physical as I wanted in the run game. Whitehair wasn't nearly as physical as he was his first two years, Ifedi and Mustipher were damn near feminine on some plays, Daniels wasn't impressive even in a contract year, etc. 

Jenkins and Peters were the two who were willing to try and bury their guy on a regular basis. Poles seems to want guys to be ablento be mean, physical, and athletic enough to get to the second level. I'm all for it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

We had a load of guys who were listed as heavy but didn't play up to their weight. Whitehair was listed at 316, Borom at over 330, Ifedi at over 330, Mustipher at over 330, Daniels was almost 330 pounds, etc.

Where was the physicality? Borom had stretches where he anchored really well but wasn't as physical as I wanted in the run game. Whitehair wasn't nearly as physical as he was his first two years, Ifedi and Mustipher were damn near feminine on some plays, Daniels wasn't impressive even in a contract year, etc. 

Jenkins and Peters were the two who were willing to try and bury their guy on a regular basis. Poles seems to want guys to be ablento be mean, physical, and athletic enough to get to the second level. I'm all for it. 

I’m still convinced that very few of those guys were playing at that listed weight…either way “weight” is a useless measure any sport…or indeed walk of life…it’s all about body composition…a guy who weights 300lbs with 11% body fat will be far more explosive, stronger and effective than says someone who is 340lbs with 40% body fat…these guys need to get their bad weight down and their muscle mass up to be effective in this scheme…hopefully the new strength and conditioning guys have set up a training & nutrition plan to achieve that.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I felt like DBB was looking right into the eyes of @WindyCity when he wrote this. (j/k)

If the FO has told us anything, it's that they at least like the 2 young OTs and maybe bought in on them.  I have felt all along that we should give them an opportunity to see what they are.  We all believed that Pace may have left us with a franchise QB and 2 young bookends, until some talking heads started to suggest the Bears need a LT.  I have been of the opinion that I'm not messing with those guys until they show me they can't anchor the line for next 10 years.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

If the FO has told us anything, it's that they at least like the 2 young OTs and maybe bought in on them.  I have felt all along that we should give them an opportunity to see what they are.  We all believed that Pace may have left us with a franchise QB and 2 young bookends, until some talking heads started to suggest the Bears need a LT.  I have been of the opinion that I'm not messing with those guys until they show me they can't anchor the line for next 10 years.

Yep. I'm not turning my nose at a prospect or FA because they've been a LT but I'm more concerned with the IOL than the bookends. Pace tool long enough to address the spots but he potentially had his best draft for last. 

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Adams wanted the be the top paid receiver...and you can't really do that and have the top paid quarterback, too. Unless you want the rest of your team to be a bunch of XFL guys.

I think the trade might happen...but you're absolutely right, the Pack isn't simply going to turn around and give what they got from the Raiders to the Seahawks. They'd give up less than that, or maybe put some '23 picks into the mix. Gutekunst is obviously up to something--this is a great draft for receivers, but he's not just going to put a bunch of rookies out there for Rodgers to throw to. 

Finances wouldn't be an issue.  The Packers reportedly offered more money according to his agent, although that could easily be just talk.  They'd make it work.  But at the end of the day, Seattle would want a haul and Green Bay probably isn't interested in that.  I think it's far more likely they go bargain shopping for guys like DeVante Parker, Marvin Jones, etc. then going big-game hunting on a WR.  Plus, the WR FA market hasn't dried up yet with Julio Jones, Will Fuller, etc. still available.  They'll probably get a veteran WR, grab on with one of their first four picks, and probably another mid-round pick on a WR.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Finances wouldn't be an issue.  The Packers reportedly offered more money according to his agent, although that could easily be just talk.  They'd make it work.  But at the end of the day, Seattle would want a haul and Green Bay probably isn't interested in that.  I think it's far more likely they go bargain shopping for guys like DeVante Parker, Marvin Jones, etc. then going big-game hunting on a WR.  Plus, the WR FA market hasn't dried up yet with Julio Jones, Will Fuller, etc. still available.  They'll probably get a veteran WR, grab on with one of their first four picks, and probably another mid-round pick on a WR.

Ohhh...you know that I value your insight, Mr. @CWood21...but I ain't buyin' that there.

I'm not saying that what you're proposing for the Pack is a bad strategy. Far from it, in fact.

I'm just saying that's not what they're going to do. They're going after a big name. Metcalf makes the most sense.

And--hey! If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...