2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Hopefully this is just coach speak and not wanting to impact any other potential free agency moves.

Agreed. I’d be shocked if they didn’t already know what they were going to do. Only reason for a charade if they do intend to match IMO would be if they had to do an extension on someone’s current deal (Diggs?) to make it work and didn’t want to give away any leverage there on what would undoubtedly be the bigger financial piece for them. My understanding is that they can restructure any existing contract whenever they want per the standard language of the NFL contract. 

9 minutes ago, dafreak said:

MaAIgBaS_mini.jpg

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
· 2m
The #Bills will match the RFA offer sheet for OT Ryan Bates, per GM Brandon Beane. It’s a 4-year deal for Bates.

Ouch...that's not good for Bears 

I guess the offer from Poles wasn't aggressive enough 

Just now, topwop1 said:

Ouch...that's not good for Bears 

I guess the offer from Poles wasn't aggressive enough 

Will be very interesting to see it...as much as we all want Poles to be aggressive IMO that's not what this offseason is about...we have to find solid pieces at decent prices and start to draft well...next offseason I would expect way more aggressive moves once he and the coaching staff have had time to full evaluate what we have and what they need.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Will be very interesting to see it...as much as we all want Poles to be aggressive IMO that's not what this offseason is about...we have to find solid pieces at decent prices and start to draft well...next offseason I would expect way more aggressive moves once he and the coaching staff have had time to full evaluate what we have and what they need.

I understand that but Poles still has to put a somewhat good OL around Fields.

Not very many starting options left on the open market now and can't rely on rookies to come in and make an instant impact

Surprised the Bills matched, but I know they love his versatility. 

Would have been happy to lose him to Chicago. Not sure your O scheme but Daryl Williams played okay for the Bills at RG last year. He was just being paid as a RT and they couldn’t afford it. He’d likely be an upgrade 

9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I understand that but Poles still has to put a somewhat good OL around Fields.

Not very many starting options left on the open market now and can't rely on rookies to come in and make an instant impact

In my eyes losing Bates is a clear blow but if we signed a guy like Trai Turner then drafted a guard in the 2nd/3rd round I still think we would be looking pretty good...

Let's put it this way...Ryan Bates or Tyler Smith? I really like Bates a lot but Smith could be a more athletic (less crazy) Carl Nicks when all is said and done.

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

In my eyes losing Bates is a clear blow but if we signed a guy like Trai Turner then drafted a guard in the 2nd/3rd round I still think we would be looking pretty good...

Let's put it this way...Ryan Bates or Tyler Smith? I really like Bates a lot but Smith could be a more athletic (less crazy) Carl Nicks when all is said and done.

Turner makes some sense since he was coached by Bears OL coach Chris Morgan in Pittsburgh last season. I'm not sure if he fits the profile of a Poles' prototypical o-lineman but he has lots of starting experience and could buy them some time to draft and develop someone.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Turner makes some sense since he was coached by Bears OL coach Chris Morgan in Pittsburgh last season. I'm not sure if he fits the profile of a Poles' prototypical o-lineman but he has lots of starting experience and could buy them some time to draft and develop someone.

We seem to be looking for taller, leaner offensive linemen but at the same time Turner has freakishly long arms at over 34" so that might come into his thinking...I just think we should try and find average starters at as many positions as possible before the draft in order to give ourselves flexibility especially at WR, OL, CB & S.

I feel Poles will always be disciplined in FA and really target the draft above all else then use the cap to pay his own guys...it's the smart long term plan...just need to hope most of us were right about there being more talent on this team than the coaches let them show last season.