2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Eberflus said today Jackson has a fresh start with him and that he likes him a lot

It would be wonderful if Eberflus could turn him around. And wow, what a boon to the team it would be, as the guy isn't that old. I mean--I'll believe it when I see it, but it's always good to get an extra dash of hope. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It would be wonderful if Eberflus could turn him around. And wow, what a boon to the team it would be, as the guy isn't that old. I mean--I'll believe it when I see it, but it's always good to get an extra dash of hope. 

Presumably Jackson gets put in the role Mike Brown played in the Lovie defense. If he’s 75% of the player Brown was in it, with Jackson’s own track record for health, that’d be a huge development.

And if not then he’s probably not a Bear in 12 months. 

• Like 1

It is funny seeing some of you saying that you just want average to average+ starters/contributors on the Line, but when you expand on that you are actually describing/expecting High Level production. Because all I keep seeing is you don’t like what’s still out there, yet what is still out there are plenty of guys who were contributing and even starting on actual NFL olines last year. 

No they aren’t flashy or even all that exciting pickups, but what they do bring is NFL experience and a solid base for what the OL can be. Many of the guys poo-pooed in this thread are just fine guys to pick up, especially since they are obviously going to be the veteran floor of depth for this team, with the rookies we bring in likely (and I do mean likely) to play better than them, even in week one. Just check out your super bowl champions, the contributors on their Line, many of them were out there for their rookie years. Havenstein was rock solid out of the gate. Edwards was forced into action and held up as better than good. Noteboom was drafted as a project swing tackle and wasn’t called into action and even Bobby Evans played as a rookie, not all that well, but close to league average level (something I’m not sure some of you have a firm grasp on what that looks like) the only one who really was a disaster as a rookie, is the one that keeps getting brought up as someone you all wanted to sign, Brian Allen. 

We are clearly going to sign some guys for one year while we infuse the team with young talent. Sure if we were looking at Chris Reed as a long term solution, then yea we would be in trouble. But if everything fell apart, and he was the weakest link on the starting OLine while we get the rookies up to speed, that isn’t the disaster some of you are painting it to be. And for the record, we still have plenty of better options than him right now

Edited by StLunatic88
  • Like 3

As for who we should actually target for the OL now, I’ll go back to my list from when we inked the offer sheet to Bates, and would you look at that, basically all still there. 

The best move would be to grab JC Tretter, but I’m assuming that he is hanging out to see if a contender wants him first, but that’s the guy we should throw good one year money at to solidify everything, and not limit ourselves going into next year. 

If he wants a contender, then snag Trai Turner (has been brought up plenty here) and that is a really solid signing, especially at this stage of Free Agency.

From there, it would be about getting competition in here, which is where I turn back to Tyrell Crosby. Should be healed up by now, should be looking hungry in order to get a big deal next year. Grab him, compete with Borom, and the loser is your swing tackle, plus may even push Turner at Guard. 

I know some will balk at this, but I would t hate having Ifedi back, he could support at T and G, and is still young with talent. (I could also see him being something Poles didn’t like last year though) But then just fill out the camp roster with some other You g Vets (Hopkins, Tevi, Reed, Davenport, Spain, etc) if you can’t get a combo of Tretter/Turner/Crosby

The two I didn’t really mention, that most will point to, are Erik Flowers and Daryl Williams. And while I wouldn’t scoff at them by any means, I just don’t think what we are looking for and what they have to offer/want from a team line up all that well

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Presumably Jackson gets put in the role Mike Brown played in the Lovie defense. If he’s 75% of the player Brown was in it, with Jackson’s own track record for health, that’d be a huge development.

And if not then he’s probably not a Bear in 12 months. 

Based on Eberflus' track record, and everything he's preached as the Bears coach thus far, I'm skeptical Jackson is even a Bear at the start of the season. Jackson's the laziest, most unfocused player I've seen in a long time. (For a starter, anyway.)

If Eberflus gets Jackson to be 75% of Brown (an All-Pro kind of guy), I will be ecstatic. And it would solve so many problems, so very quickly. 

5 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

The best move would be to grab JC Tretter, but I’m assuming that he is hanging out to see if a contender wants him first, but that’s the guy we should throw good one year money at to solidify everything, and not limit ourselves going into next year. 

I like Tretter quite a bit...and if I'm Poles I'd actually offer a fairly significant contract to bring him to Chicago. Make him forget about winning the Super Bowl this year, or what have you. It would be the prudent thing to do. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

It is funny seeing some of you saying that you just want average to average+ starters/contributors on the Line, but when you expand on that you are actually describing/expecting High Level production. Because all I keep seeing is you don’t like what’s still out there, yet what is still out there are plenty of guys who were contributing and even starting on actual NFL olines last year. 

No they aren’t flashy or even all that exciting pickups, but what they do bring is NFL experience and a solid base for what the OL can be. Many of the guys poo-pooed in this thread are just fine guys to pick up, especially since they are obviously going to be the veteran floor of depth for this team, with the rookies we bring in likely (and I do mean likely) to play better than them, even in week one. Just check out your super bowl champions, the contributors on their Line, many of them were out there for their rookie years. Havenstein was rock solid out of the gate. Edwards was forced into action and held up as better than good. Noteboom was drafted as a project swing tackle and wasn’t called into action and even Bobby Evans played as a rookie, not all that well, but close to league average level (something I’m not sure some of you have a firm grasp on what that looks like) the only one who really was a disaster as a rookie, is the one that keeps getting brought up as someone you all wanted to sign, Brian Allen. 

We are clearly going to sign some guys for one year while we infuse the team with young talent. Sure if we were looking at Chris Reed as a long term solution, then yea we would be in trouble. But if everything fell apart, and he was the weakest link on the starting OLine while we get the rookies up to speed, that isn’t the disaster some of you are painting it to be. And for the record, we still have plenty of better options than him right now

There are 3-4 guys remaining, as you mentioned in your other post, 

I don’t consider that a lot.

I don’t high level production at all. Last week there was 7-8 guys, this week there is 4-5, at some point you actually need to put one in the boat, preferably before you are just grabbing the last one left.

19 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Based on Eberflus' track record, and everything he's preached as the Bears coach thus far, I'm skeptical Jackson is even a Bear at the start of the season. Jackson's the laziest, most unfocused player I've seen in a long time. (For a starter, anyway.)

If Eberflus gets Jackson to be 75% of Brown (an All-Pro kind of guy), I will be ecstatic. And it would solve so many problems, so very quickly. 

I bet you he is a Bear. No way out of that contract.

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

There are 3-4 guys remaining, as you mentioned in your other post, 

That’s just not true.

There are more than a dozen guys who could easily be day one starters for us out there. You just don’t like any more than 3-4. 

I gave the top of my list, not the whole available list