2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Be careful what you wish for.  Maybe they can sign Hekker and upgrade, but POD was a solid punter.

Statistically in his best years he was about average, depending on what you look at. For 2021: 

Avg Distance: 15th

Net Distance: 25th

Inside the 20: 21st most

Touchbacks: 9th most

Punts Returned: 5th most 

Punts Fair Caught: 21st most 

Punts Downed: 18th most 

Punts Out of Bounds: 29th most 

What I take from that was, despite league average kick distance, “Mega Punt” doesn’t kick the ball high enough or directionally well enough to prevent the opponent rom retuning most of his punts, resulting in a nearly league worst net gain. This was probably NOT the result of punting on short fields given his pedestrian number of punts inside the 20. That’s… not good. At all. And as has been said, 2021 was one of his better years. If we’re going to pay a punter more than a minimum salary, I’d expect they do something at a high level. POD doesn’t have a huge leg despite the “Mega Punt” nickname, isn’t good at all directionally, and despite the lack of elite distance (something that should lend itself to a lot of fair catches), kicks one of the more returnable balls in the NFL.

I’m glad we’re finally looking for a higher standard there. Crazy that it took 2 GM changes and THREE head coaches for that to happen. 

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Statistically in his best years he was about average, depending on what you look at. For 2021: 

Avg Distance: 15th

Net Distance: 25th

Inside the 20: 21st most

Touchbacks: 9th most

Punts Returned: 5th most 

Punts Fair Caught: 21st most 

Punts Downed: 18th most 

Punts Out of Bounds: 29th most 

What I take from that was, despite league average kick distance, “Mega Punt” doesn’t kick the ball high enough or directionally well enough to prevent the opponent rom retuning most of his punts, resulting in a nearly league worst net gain. This was probably NOT the result of punting on short fields given his pedestrian number of punts inside the 20. That’s… not good. At all. And as has been said, 2021 was one of his better years. If we’re going to pay a punter more than a minimum salary, I’d expect they do something at a high level. POD doesn’t have a huge leg despite the “Mega Punt” nickname, isn’t good at all directionally, and despite the lack of elite distance (something that should lend itself to a lot of fair catches), kicks one of the more returnable balls in the NFL.

I’m glad we’re finally looking for a higher standard there. Crazy that it took 2 GM changes and THREE head coaches for that to happen. 

@CWood21

• Like 2

Bears haven't been mentioned at all in connection with Trent Brown at RT or Armstead at LT who are two biggest remaining names at those spots respectively.  

I take that as they want to kick tires on the young OTs before being forced to commit big money to someone to fill one of those spots in FA.

They still need to bring in depth even if that turns out true, so it will be interesting to see who they pick up in coming months.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears haven't been mentioned at all in connection with Trent Brown at RT or Armstead at LT who are two biggest remaining names at those spots respectively.  

I take that as they want to kick tires on the young OTs before being forced to commit big money to someone to fill one of those spots in FA.

They still need to bring in depth even if that turns out true, so it will be interesting to see who they pick up in coming months.  

I agree that this is the approach that Poles is using. I think he wants to clear the roster of as much bad money as possible, and not commit big money to aging veterans. I think Poles is looking to be more of a "homegrown" talent guy. He is going to fill the roster this year with "adequate" talent this year because of our limited resources and attack it more aggressively starting next year when we are in a more advantageous position. Thanks Pace.

23 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

DBB mentioned that they like Armstead

7 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Cole Beasley just got released. We could do worse in the slot.

It might be worth it for Poles to poke around on him, maybe give him a shot

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Remember that dude had a first round grade and then didn't even get drafted because he was linked to death of a former girlfriend just before draft.

He had to play as an UDFA with Dallas and has been a starter there ever since at G or T =.

I wanted Bears to draft him in 6th or 7th.  Police said he wasn't even a suspect, they just wanted to talk.   Such over drama at times.   Take a bloody risk in later rounds.  Who cares if you end up cutting a high end risk in 6th round?  

We drafted OT Tayo Fabuluje in 6th instead, remember him?  Me either.

• Like 2