2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am genuinely confused by the vision right now.

I thought the reason we loved Mack was to put resources into the offense… that assumption was very wrong.

I don't think your confused by the vision...just not seeing the whole picture...Poles told us this was coming...he was going to be selective in FA...target 2nd & 3rd wave guys and build through the draft...your focus right now is on the offence...Poles clearly doesn't want to go and spend huge money on either offence or defence...he wants to solidify his roster with smart mid level contracts who will come in a fill a need...i.e Patrick at Centre or Pringle as a #3...he will then take big swings in the draft to find elite playmakers and stars...look at how that Chiefs roster is build...Mahomes, Hill, Kelce all drafted...they then put solid additions around them...it's how you build a roster...KC have only became super aggressive recently because they know no teams window is open forever and that's why we saw the Thuney contract & Brown trade...but the draft will be his go too...

I don't think anyone can truly assess this roster until after training camp when we at least know all the pieces...you add a quality OL & playmaking WR in the 2nd round and this offensive roster looks a hell of a lot better...having the ability to do that is why we traded Mack.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think your confused by the vision...just not seeing the whole picture...Poles told us this was coming...he was going to be selective in FA...target 2nd & 3rd wave guys and build through the draft...your focus right now is on the offence...Poles clearly doesn't want to go and spend huge money on either offence or defence...he wants to solidify his roster with smart mid level contracts who will come in a fill a need...i.e Patrick at Centre or Pringle as a #3...he will then take big swings in the draft to find elite playmakers and stars...look at how that Chiefs roster is build...Mahomes, Hill, Kelce all drafted...they then put solid additions around them...it's how you build a roster...KC have only became super aggressive recently because they know no teams window is open forever and that's why we saw the Thuney contract & Brown trade...but the draft will be his go too...

I don't think anyone can truly assess this roster until after training camp when we at least know all the pieces...you add a quality OL & playmaking WR in the 2nd round and this offensive roster looks a hell of a lot better...having the ability to do that is why we traded Mack.

‘Big swings’ starting in 2nd round is easier said than done.  There is a lot of luck involved in that.  

But you are right we won’t know big picture until summer camp.  

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

‘Big swings’ starting in 2nd round is easier said than done.  There is a lot of luck involved in that.  

I’m also not saying you do what Jags did in signing Kirk or breaking bank with Adams.

But the deals Chark, Brian Allen and BJ Hill signed for were all pretty light and offer youth enough to be here for a bit, a lot of upside talent and filled crucial needs. 

We are mostly signing depth chart guys from good teams for a year.  It’s like an expansion team draft.  

If you are relying on draft in 2022 for 2022, you better have a great one.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There is a lot of luck in any draft pick...you can however give yourself the best possible chance with the right evaluation...Poles has given us nothing to distrust so far...the fact he was such a huge part of bringing in Creed Humphrey & Trey Smith gives him instant credibility.

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

We are mostly signing depth chart guys from good teams for a year.  It’s like an expansion team draft.  

Kinda? The rebuild began last year, and will continue this year. Even somewhat into the next, when there will be a lot of cap space. Lucky for us we seem to have more steady hands on the wheel than we did in the Pace era. 

22 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If you are relying on draft in 2022 for 2022, you better have a great one.  

It has occurred to me that Poles is putting a lot of pressure on himself. But, you do have to hand it to him,  he's putting those big boy pants on...which Pace simply couldn't do. 

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Have to say the more I look at the WRs still out there in FA it is hard to see Keelan Cole doesn't have a job yet.

It's the rookie class. People know that they can draft a good guy, maybe even in the third round. Cole might not have a new job for a while...

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It's the rookie class. People know that they can draft a good guy, maybe even in the third round. Cole might not have a new job for a while...

I would much rather sign a guy like Cole than it gives you all kinds of options in the draft...still 100% take a WR early...but your not forced too.

Another point to consider (and I think there is some over simplification of the process by us) is that the free agents that we want are wanted by multiple teams. We also have exactly ZERO incite as to what these free agents are looking for in order to sign with a team. We can have all the desire that we want and court and invite the girl to the dance, but if she wants to go with another boy then that's what she is going to do. It's Free Agency not an auction block.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would much rather sign a guy like Cole than it gives you all kinds of options in the draft...still 100% take a WR early...but your not forced too.

Landry is still out there too, isn't he? I do think Poles will add another WR and another interior O lineman before the draft. He'll definitely get another tackle. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

If you are relying on draft in 2022 for 2022, you better have a great one.  

I think you’re expecting your 2 R2 picks to be starting year 1, and R3 to be an immediate contributor at minimum at most positions. I think that’s pretty reasonable. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Isn’t that prudent though, especially with a talent deficient team? We need to add difference makers, but we need to raise the floor at a lot of places too. Signing a #3 like Pringle to be a #3 at #3 money with some #2 upside when you don’t have one on the roster, or a known commodity starting LB like Morrow makes all the sense in the world to me. 

• Like 2

Armstead Update

-NO beat writer said the only way he was back is if they landed Deahaun.

Brett Kollman said the Bears were heavily involved before the Deahaun pause.

Collins left Cincy and Miami is making a run at him.

If Collins ends up in Cincy we could be in good shape.

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think you’re expecting your 2 R2 picks to be starting year 1, and R3 to be an immediate contributor at minimum at most positions. I think that’s pretty reasonable. 

Isn’t that prudent though, especially with a talent deficient team? We need to add difference makers, but we need to raise the floor at a lot of places too. Signing a #3 like Pringle to be a #3 at #3 money with some #2 upside when you don’t have one on the roster, or a known commodity starting LB like Morrow makes all the sense in the world to me. 

On defense sure.

I think Fields needs more than that in terms of surrounding talent. It’s a big year for him.