2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

This was an opportunity to improve the offense. I understand there are other opportunities, but  I don’t think they could afford to pass on this one.

I don’t think they did enough.

They could have at least secured a much higher floor for the OL and WR core. As we stand if we don’t have rookies play well early on… these could be 2 of the worst units in the NFL.

The poi t is the opportunity is far from over...Poles isn't going to just bring people in for the sake of it...that is very clear...there is a bigger picture and a plan here and he is going to do it the right way.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Relying on them to is a risk. 

I am also not talking about them playing early. Anyone can play early. Playing early at a high enough level is a different story.

Relying on a rookie WR and a rookie OLmen both to be playing at a high enough level week 1… is a pretty big ask.

I don't see much of a risk starting 2nd round picks...rookies are better prepared than ever to play early in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't see much of a risk starting 2nd round picks...rookies are better prepared than ever to play early in the NFL.

It is a risk because most don't play well as rookies. 

If you are drafting an IOL it is about 50/50 they are ready to start at a higher level than James Daniels [a benchmark for average.

If you are drafting OT it is a real crap shoot.

That is why adding a guy like Bates is so important. He can start at RG and you do not have to force a rookie into the line up... or if the rookie is good he takes Whiethairs job.

17 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The poi t is the opportunity is far from over...Poles isn't going to just bring people in for the sake of it...that is very clear...there is a bigger picture and a plan here and he is going to do it the right way.

Can you at least admit that there is a chance that he is also just struggling to close deals?

I find it very hard to believe that a GM who ripped his OL a bunch in the offseason wasn't trying to do more than land Lucas Patrick.

40 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It is a risk because most don't play well as rookies. 

If you are drafting an IOL it is about 50/50 they are ready to start at a higher level than James Daniels [a benchmark for average.

If you are drafting OT it is a real crap shoot.

That is why adding a guy like Bates is so important. He can start at RG and you do not have to force a rookie into the line up... or if the rookie is good he takes Whiethairs job.

It's not though as I said before...look at the last three drafts...taking an IOL in the first two rounds is basically a guarantee they will at least be able to start and play solid football...which would be an upgrade on our OL from last year...

I agree we need to add a guy like Bates but I have complete faith in getting a talented OL early in the draft who will start from day 1.

41 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Can you at least admit that there is a chance that he is also just struggling to close deals?

I find it very hard to believe that a GM who ripped his OL a bunch in the offseason wasn't trying to do more than land Lucas Patrick.

Based on what?...

I think again you are thinking he wants to sort any position through free agency...he doesn't...he wants to draft our own guys.

19 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Explain how he's better than Armstead?

He's younger, and has the potential to be a better LT than Armstead EVER has been. 

Should the Bears have cut Fields and traded for Matt Ryan?

16 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I'm with you Heinz. Teven Jenkins  was heralded as a guy with lots of potential when he was drafted and was coming off back surgery mid-late season playing under an offensive coaching staff that has no business being in the NFL.

I think he will surprise people year 2. He definitely has the mean streak that GM Ryan Poles talked about wanting in his OL so I assume he has a positive outlook on Jenkins' role as a starter for this OL moving forward. 

I'm willing to bet on it. 

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Honest question, are you happy with how the start of free agency has gone? 

Absolutely. 

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Relying on a rookie WR and a rookie OLmen both to be playing at a high enough level week 1… is a pretty big ask.

There aren't a lot of other options at the moment. 

7 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

No, it means they shouldn't be the unquestioned starters without any capable veteran competition or even veteran back-ups.

Ummm...that will happen. You do know that, right? 

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We are unlikely to find a rookie #2 WR in the NFL Draft. 

I've tried to explain to you how this is absolutely ridiculous thinking. 

But...continue to be ridiculous. The rest of us will follow the off-season, and the draft. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

OLmen, outside of Bates, that are available that could hold a spot

Billy Turner

Ereck Flowers

Daryl Williams

Eric Fisher, I worry how much they are going to have to pay him for fairly average LT play.

I'd sign Fisher, expecting him to be the swing tackle. Less wear and tear, and all that. 

All those other names are enticing. Hopefully, we'll get Bates. 

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Those comments could be partly motivational, as well. 

39 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He's younger, and has the potential to be a better LT than Armstead EVER has been. 

Should the Bears have cut Fields and traded for Matt Ryan?

I'm willing to bet on it. 

Absolutely. 

There aren't a lot of other options at the moment. 

Ummm...that will happen. You do know that, right? 

I've tried to explain to you how this is absolutely ridiculous thinking. 

But...continue to be ridiculous. The rest of us will follow the off-season, and the draft. 

I'd sign Fisher, expecting him to be the swing tackle. Less wear and tear, and all that. 

All those other names are enticing. Hopefully, we'll get Bates. 

Those comments could be partly motivational, as well. 

He asked how Jenkins is better than Armstead and your response was "well his age and one day he might be." Age has nothing to do with how good a player is in a comparison, and I have the potential to win the lottery tomorrow. What does that even mean? Yikes. There's also a very, VERY good chance he's never a top 3 LT in football.

Edited by beardown3231

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That the OL was not good enough. In fact he publicly ripped them.

-He told us the OL was not good enough, in fact he did it in a couple of interviews, and then has done very little to build the unit in free agency. This free agency period does not line up with his harsh assessment of the unit

There is a big difference in saying a unit wasn’t good enough and saying there is no talent in that unit. Especially when most of them were playing out of position in the Scheme that was being run. 

This is a completely different scheme, it actually portends itself better to athletic rookies and savvy vets more than most in the league. Which is why myself and others here aren’t all that worried. It is designed to be a unit and block that way, not just Five 1v1 matchups like prior. 

This will also likely be a very run heavy offense, which in itself will protect Fields more than any single OL signing could. 

The reality seems to be, that Poles & Co believe we already have 4 legitimate contributors along the OL for the 2022 season, with interest in Bates as well as Tretter, and we haven’t even finished seeing the veteran cuts or the Draft. 

You are jumping the gun and just assuming that we aren’t going to “do anything” which is just you panicking at this point and not a realistic reflection of the situation

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He asked how Jenkins is better than Armstead and your response was "well his age and one day he might be." Age has nothing to do with how good a player is in a comparison, and I have the potential to win the lottery tomorrow. What does that even mean? Yikes. There's also a very, VERY good chance he's never a top 3 LT in football.

Why draft anybody, then? 

30 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Why draft anybody, then? 

The Rams don't seem to and won a Superbowl 🤷🏿‍♂️

Joking aside... I'd just rather have Armstead at LT and Jenkins at RT. We really don't have to choose between the two, they could just protect Fields with the best personnel they can field.

Who would you take in the draft that's better than Armstead?

Edited by The_Romen
Name change