2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Relying on them to is a risk

I am also not talking about them playing early. Anyone can play early. Playing early at a high enough level is a different story.

Relying on a rookie WR and a rookie OLmen both to be playing at a high enough level week 1… is a pretty big ask.

As is paying a guy like Armstead to a big deal and expecting him to contribute over a full season.

This regime isn't in a rush to make a super bowl in year 1. Give them some time to build it up properly

If Poles and Cunningham, two former OLmen aren't concerned then why should we be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

Who would you take in the draft that's better than Armstead?

I wouldn't take anybody. Early, at least. I'd say that I have Jenkins, and if he fails, then the back-up plan will kick in.

Once again...should the Bears have cut Fields and traded for Ryan?

No one seems to want to answer that question. 

21 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I wouldn't take anybody. Early, at least. I'd say that I have Jenkins, and if he fails, then the back-up plan will kick in.

Once again...should the Bears have cut Fields and traded for Ryan?

No one seems to want to answer that question. 

But it's not 1:1 with the Bears situation now... "Would you rather keep Trubisky or sign Tom Brady?"

Obviously I'd love to have 22 7th rounders become all pro, but it's not gonna happen. Why not take a proven commodity, draft depth behind him in case of emergency and we can all sleep better at night?

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

As is paying a guy like Armstead to a big deal and expecting him to contribute over a full season.

This regime isn't in a rush to make a super bowl in year 1. Give them some time to build it up properly

If Poles and Cunningham, two former OLmen aren't concerned then why should we be?

Over the last 3 years

2019: missed 1 game with a high ankle

2020: missed 2 game with Covid

2021: missed 9 games because his own RB broke his arm.

Nothing on that list is as concerning as say a back injury that required surgery. The major time missed was a fluke injury.

Edited by WindyCity

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He's younger, and has the potential to be a better LT than Armstead EVER has been. 

Should the Bears have cut Fields and traded for Matt Ryan?

I'm willing to bet on it. 

Absolutely. 

There aren't a lot of other options at the moment. 

Ummm...that will happen. You do know that, right? 

I've tried to explain to you how this is absolutely ridiculous thinking. 

But...continue to be ridiculous. The rest of us will follow the off-season, and the draft. 

I'd sign Fisher, expecting him to be the swing tackle. Less wear and tear, and all that. 

All those other names are enticing. Hopefully, we'll get Bates. 

Those comments could be partly motivational, as well. 

You’re delusional. Terron Armstead is one of the 3 best LTs in the game. All Jenkins needs to be as good as him is to be a likely HOFer….

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I've tried to explain to you how this is absolutely ridiculous thinking. 

But...continue to be ridiculous. The rest of us will follow the off-season, and the draft. 

It isn’t ridiculous. It is 100% supported by the numbers.

If you have actual data or proof we would love to see it.

Over the last 4 drafts only 20% of non-1st round WRs produce more than Byron Pringle did last season. 

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Relying on a rookie WR and a rookie OLmen both to be playing at a high enough level week 1… is a pretty big ask.

There aren't a lot of other options at the moment. 

There were 7 days ago.

We are unlikely to find a rookie #2 WR in the NFL Draft. Most non-1st round rookie WRs struggle to produce more than Byron Pringle.

Rookie WRs [non 1st round] to beat the Pringle Line

21: 1/31

20: 5/31

19: 7/26

18: 7/31

About 17% of WRs cleared Pringles 500 and change yards. We are very likely going to be drafting our #3 WR based on the percentages.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I am not in a rush for a Super Bowl.

I am in a rush to protect Fields.

Currently we are relying on a 2nd round pick who missed most of his rookie year with back surgery. Hardly the shining example of durability. 

We have no idea what Poles and Cunninghams concern level is. Maybe they were really banking on Armstead.

In the end Armstead isn’t happening. We are going to be outbid by Miami and that is just the way it is.

I expect we will pivot Eric Fisher. Poles knows him. He is a competent veteran LT. He likely won’t cost a ton and will be on a 1 year deal.

He likely starts at LT, Jenkins moves to RT (before he moves to Canton), and Borom is the swing backup. If Fisher gets injured Borom slides into the spot.

Fisher, Cheap vet Backup

Whitehair/3rd round

Patrick

Bates?/5th round 

Jenkins/Borom

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I am not in a rush for a Super Bowl.

I am in a rush to protect Fields.

Currently we are relying on a 2nd round pick who missed most of his rookie year with back surgery. Hardly the shining example of durability. 

We have no idea what Poles and Cunninghams concern level is. Maybe they were really banking on Armstead.

I'm sure the new GM isn't a moron that he doesn't understand he needs to protect Fields first and foremost

I agree that we  do not know enough about Poles to put our blind faith in him but we just gotta trust the process right now 

This is a rebuilding/development year for all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We are unlikely to find a rookie #2 WR in the NFL Draft. Most non-1st round rookie WRs struggle to produce more than Byron Pringle.

Rookie WRs [non 1st round] to beat the Pringle Line

21: 1/31

20: 5/31

19: 7/26

18: 7/31

About 17% of WRs cleared Pringles 500 and change yards. We are very likely going to be drafting our #3 WR based on the percentages.

Assuming it works out this way, don’t you also expect to see Pringle, an ascending player himself, also produce more in an expanded role? He put up 568 yards and 5 TD on 60 targets last year, and averages 9.7 yards/target for his career. Even at 8.5 yards/target (a pretty significant step down with the expanded role and shift away from Mahomes), at 90-100 targets that’s 765-850 yards. That would put him somewhere in the 30-45 range in terms of WR receiving yards most years, so solidly #2 production. I think that’s a totally realistic expectation for him in a WR2 role for all of 2022. If he’s able to keep the 9.7 at 90/100 targets that’s 873-970 yards, and that’s even better. 

14 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Hopefully we don't let him leave with him excepting an offer...then we see what Buffalo do in response.

His original round tender from Buffalo (he was a UFA) will pay him $2.4M. How much would you be willing to pay him? He’s an ascending player who’s young and who even if for some reason he wasn’t a starter here he’d give you positional diversity as depth. If Poles sees him as a potential starting fixture long term then what’s enough both for him to sign it and for BUF to possibly not match? I’d maybe go something like this:

3/$24.5M, with $15.5M guaranteed

Signing bonus $9M

Base salaries:

2022: $1.5M guaranteed 

2023: $5M guaranteed 

2024: $9M non-guaranteed

Cap hits:

2022: $4.5M

2023: $8M 

2024: $12M ($3M dead cap if cut)

Cash:

2022: $10.5M fully guaranteed 

2023: $5M fully guaranteed

2024: $9M non-guaranteed

Essentially it’s a 2-year deal with a team option, but Bates gets more than 4x as much in cash in 2022 than what he’s set to make on his BUF RFA deal. It also sets Bates up again to potentially hit the market again at 28 where he could get huge money if he kills it for us. BUF could match it, but not without moving money around which they may not want to do, and that’s a really solid deal IMO to offer a guy on the come with 4 starts in 3 years. It also potentially opens up our draft to not take an IOL in R2 and instead take a tackle if Poles likes one there or address another position with a higher tier prospect. 

• Like 1