Raiders extend K Daniel Carlson (4 years, $18.4M, $10.2M gtd) & P AJ Cole (4 years, $12.4M, $5.9M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

56 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am all for signing good players but why do we lock these guys up first.  We are going to have holes all over to fill this offseason.  Why not resign some of the other positions first.  It is great having a good kicker when offense can not produce TDs in the red-zone and a good punter when your offense stalls all the time.  Special teams are important but if you think about it they become more important when your defense and more specifically offense sucks.  Why not focus on improving the larger aspects of the team first.  You can always get an average punter and kicker in free agency for cheap.  Remember that if your punter has a huge average it means you drives are stalling quickly and if you kicker is scoring a lot of points you are not scoring a lot of TDs.

Ngl I got scared thinking we’re keeping carr so we’ll need a good punter and kicker 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I am all for signing good players but why do we lock these guys up first.  We are going to have holes all over to fill this offseason.  Why not resign some of the other positions first.  It is great having a good kicker when offense can not produce TDs in the red-zone and a good punter when your offense stalls all the time.  Special teams are important but if you think about it they become more important when your defense and more specifically offense sucks.  Why not focus on improving the larger aspects of the team first.  You can always get an average punter and kicker in free agency for cheap.  Remember that if your punter has a huge average it means you drives are stalling quickly and if you kicker is scoring a lot of points you are not scoring a lot of TDs.

Ehhh I wouldn't get too worried about this. Like someone else said, a new HC will likely change scheme/personnel so not worth extending others at this point in time. However any HC will want upper echelon K's and P's.

Extending Cole and Carlson won't break this team.

6 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Ehhh I wouldn't get too worried about this. Like someone else said, a new HC will likely change scheme/personnel so not worth extending others at this point in time. However any HC will want upper echelon K's and P's.

Extending Cole and Carlson won't break this team.

Not every head coach will want to spend $7.5 million on those players though.  An extra $5 million a year is a lot when you could get an average K and P as a UDFA.  I like Carlson and understand paying more for that but a punter I would not.

• Like 1

I like these players and think that they deserve these deals, however it is a bit strange that the GM who is supposedly on his way out is giving out long term deals...I mean your new GM and HC should have the freedom and chance to decide every players fate right? Was this Mark Davis and he feels like he would have forced these contracts on any new GM as well?

Again I don't have any problem with the deals, but the timing is a bit strange and not quite the best look for MD IMO among the best candidates...

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I like these players and think that they deserve these deals, however it is a bit strange that the GM who is supposedly on his way out is giving out long term deals...I mean your new GM and HC should have the freedom and chance to decide every players fate right? Was this Mark Davis and he feels like he would have forced these contracts on any new GM as well?

Again I don't have any problem with the deals, but the timing is a bit strange and not quite the best look for MD IMO among the best candidates...

Obviously it's not a definite answer one way or another. I don't think it's a bad look at all for Mark through, having an elite special teams unit it one of the biggest factors in winning games. Carlson has been lights out and Cole has been one of the best punters in the league. But based on what I've read I'd assume Mayock gets one more chance with full oversight on the draft / free agency. The contracts aren't worth that much. And I'm sure any coach would be thrilled to have those two guys as their kicker / punter. 

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Not every head coach will want to spend $7.5 million on those players though.  An extra $5 million a year is a lot when you could get an average K and P as a UDFA.  I like Carlson and understand paying more for that but a punter I would not.

Someone forgot about Johnny Townsend botching punts 25 yards clearly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Obviously it's not a definite answer one way or another. I don't think it's a bad look at all for Mark through, having an elite special teams unit it one of the biggest factors in winning games. Carlson has been lights out and Cole has been one of the best punters in the league. But based on what I've read I'd assume Mayock gets one more chance with full oversight on the draft / free agency. The contracts aren't worth that much. And I'm sure any coach would be thrilled to have those two guys as their kicker / punter. 

Yep. Defense and special teams.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Special team units arent appreciated until you have issues. 
I was at a game once, where Jon Condo got hurt, and we didnt have a backup long snapper. 
I think we fumbled/ botched 3 punt attempts after that injury in that game alone lol. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Throughout the years even dating back to Lechler and Seabass we've always had fire special teams units.

Seabass is a Raider legend, but man that guy was so anti clutch lol. Pretty much his entire career we were crap so it didnt matter, but man that guy would make me nervous on a short game winning FG

30 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Special team units arent appreciated until you have issues. 
I was at a game once, where Jon Condo got hurt, and we didnt have a backup long snapper. 
I think we fumbled/ botched 3 punt attempts after that injury in that game alone lol. 

Was that the game Raider legend Travis Goethel assumed long snapping duties? I remember that vividly. Screwed up everything in the kicking game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Johnny Townsend should not have been drafted.  I was pissed when I saw we drafted a punter at the end of a run on punters.  I would have been fine with Dickson but that was it.