GDT: Titans at Steelers

titans0021

Getting Henry and AJ back is the hope. The only hope. Because this offense was built for Henry and without him, it’s trouble. We have four OL that are primarily known as run blockers, including two on the right side that are exclusively run blockers. We have freaking Geoff Swaim starting at TE. NWI started the year with a role primarily because of how he blocked. As a receiver. 

Fundamentally, it’s not a passing game that’s built to face two deep safeties with five or seven step drops and complicated route patterns. It’s supposed to win on the strength of the receivers, quick decisions by the QB and loaded boxes. And that’s when we’re at full strength, let alone with NWI and Chester Rogers starting at WR.

5 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Looks like I picked a good game to miss even though I still got pissed off once I finally saw the score and play by play of the last drive,

How did Cunningham look?

Cunningham looked good, didn’t really see any negatives, flew to the ball well. Defense in general was pretty great.

32 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Getting Henry and AJ back is the hope. The only hope. Because this offense was built for Henry and without him, it’s trouble. We have four OL that are primarily known as run blockers, including two on the right side that are exclusively run blockers. We have freaking Geoff Swaim starting at TE. NWI started the year with a role primarily because of how he blocked. As a receiver. 

Fundamentally, it’s not a passing game that’s built to face two deep safeties with five or seven step drops and complicated route patterns. It’s supposed to win on the strength of the receivers, quick decisions by the QB and loaded boxes. And that’s when we’re at full strength, let alone with NWI and Chester Rogers starting at WR.

honestly, i'm beginning to wonder if we see changes to the offense this offseason comparable to the changes we saw on defense last offseason. think it could happen, and probably needs to. wholesale retool of the OL + injection of skill players. earlier i thought we maybe only move on from saffold, but as much as i like lewan we may need to just blow it all up to free up some cap.

i also think that when people criticize downing they need to keep in mind the immense difference between last year and this year with the defense and bowen. sometimes it really does come down to jimmies and joes, and honestly what downing has to work with this year is inarguably worse than what bowen had last year.

Just now, KingTitan said:

Defense is great. Bowen deserves credit. And vrabel deserves blame for whatever he decided to do last year. It killed us. 

Even beyond the pass rush additions the defense is better organized. 

aside from a few coverage busts early in the year, it's been obvious that guys are playing fast and know their role/know what to do this year. just looking at how they flow to the ball. that was almost never the case last year. really just don't understand what could've caused that kind of disconnect. a lot of it was talent, obviously- we have a LOT more this year- but there's also just clearly a better mental understanding of the defense from the players.

5 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

aside from a few coverage busts early in the year, it's been obvious that guys are playing fast and know their role/know what to do this year. just looking at how they flow to the ball. that was almost never the case last year. really just don't understand what could've caused that kind of disconnect. a lot of it was talent, obviously- we have a LOT more this year- but there's also just clearly a better mental understanding of the defense from the players.

Yeah but then we trot out Skrine, Mabin, and undrafted guys on the line and we are top 10 defense. 

It's crazy. 

Need something like this for offense. 

Did we get any type of update on Julio. I wonder how long this will put him out. To me it feels like the end of his season. Even if he does come back, if he cant make it through a game on a pitch count after feeling fresh he may just be done.

I just cant see him getting through this. We got two more years of his contract too?

7 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah but then we trot out Skrine, Mabin, and undrafted guys on the line and we are top 10 defense. 

It's crazy. 

Need something like this for offense. 

The backbone of the defense is now strong. That’s what it mostly boils down too. With Landry, Simmons and Autry (and now Dupree again), we can win at the LOS, which makes life so much easier on the secondary (as evidenced last year). 

The equivalent offensively is obviously the OL. A great OL can hide a whole lot of problems. Unfortunately, that’s going to be a monumental off-season project and isn’t really something that can be fixed on the fly.

5 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So glad we’re paying that contract to Lamm to sit on the bench. Same goes for our 2nd round pick. Neither can get on the field despite having the worst RT in the league. Pathetic 

literally all SF has to do is line up bosa on quessenberry every single play and that'll probably guarantee a win for them.

One more thing about Tanny..
I mean we saw what Brady looked like without his guys. It happens.
The concern I have with Tanny is his turnovers and missing throws. 

He has turned the ball over so much this year(even with the weapons). 
He has missed guys.
His decision making seems to have taken a step back. 

Yes the return of the weapons and a better line will help him tremendously.

But it is just a concern. 

7 minutes ago, 615finest said:

If this D keeps ascending. And we get Henry back. Them turnovers will slow down. We will be a tough out in the playoffs. Not saying we are going to the Super Bowl. As down as we feel right now. We are too gritty to get pushed over against any of these afc teams. Love what Cunningham brings. 

Hopefully we can get back Jackrabbit, Tart and Long this week and be at full strength.

Rough them 9ers up with big boy ball. 

Edited by twotonebluenation