2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

Some free agents that I'm still keeping an eye on:

RB Jerick McKinnon - not sure if I actually want him or not, but it's a possibility that we sign him

WR Jordan Matthews - can he bounce back and be productive again?

WR Cody Latimer - great ST player and possible untapped potential, also great size

OG Justin Pugh - We probably won't spend the money, but would be a nice get

OG Jack Mewhort - Might come cheaper. Has played very well before, but has been banged up

DE Adrian Clayborn - Perhaps not an ideal LEO and he is no longer young, but would be an upgrade over Marsh

DE Trent Murphy - Actually a very good player when healthy. I'd be excited about signing him.

S/NCB Kenny Vaccaro - Played well in the slot last year and could be used in three safety packages. Probably too expensive, but haven't heard any rumors about him yet.

And of course there are others (including many of our own guys). Lots of talent is already off the board. It's been a bit of a disappointing free agency period, but I don't blame Shanny and Lynch. We need to take care of lots of our own guys in the near future and most of this year's FA class has been getting ridiculously overpaid.

I touched on this earlier but here's a more detailed version of why we'd be particularly interested in McKinnon

First off here is a list of most recent Shanahan's had a hand in bringing in:

Joe Williams - 40 - 4.41

Matt Breida - 40 - 4.37

Raheem Mostert - 40 - 4.34

Tevin Coleman - 40 - 4.39

I've been looking into Shanahan's prototype RB and it's clear he likes them blazing fast. (Was going to point this out in the draft section as well since I think it can help us narrow down prospects we might be considering). He likes athletic freaks who are home run hitters. That is pretty much exactly who McKinnon is.

I also alluded to McKinnon having a historic combine earlier so here's what he did:

Jerick McKinnon

40 - 4.41

Broad Jump - 11'0"

Vert - 40'5"

Bench Press - 32 reps

This is the type of player Shanahan generally targets. And if we do end up with him I'm gonna be thrilled to see what our plans for him are becuase if utilized properly I think McKinnon could be an electric piece for Shanahan to play with. Count me in for that

Last year the Browns had $51 million rolled over cap from the year before(2016). So alot of cap can be rolled over to next year if we don't use it all. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/heres-how-much-salary-cap-space-your-favorite-nfl-team-will-have-in-2017/amp/

FAQ on salary cap. Good read

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/nfl-salary-cap-faqs/

By the way, let me just say that regardless how one feels about the moves Lynch and Shanahan have made so far, at least there haven't been any head scratchers. Unknown/scrub receivers are getting mega deals. Guys like Jonathan Stewart and Chris Hubbard are also cashing in.

14 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

By the way, let me just say that regardless how one feels about the moves Lynch and Shanahan have made so far, at least there haven't been any head scratchers. Unknown/scrub receivers are getting mega deals. Guys like Jonathan Stewart and Chris Hubbard are also cashing in.

Honestly, I am pretty happy so far. I wouldn't mind adding another O lineman, Trent Murphy, and bringing in Nelson though. (Two out of three maybe) And I hope we can trade for or, draft a good RB.  (I know nothing of the RB class this year)

I think as fans all we can really ask for is some level of competence from the Owner to the GM/Coach. This last year has been really refreshing watching Lynch and Shanny make smart calculating moves. I am enjoying watching these guys make their plan a reality. I couldn't be happier watching SportCenter and hearing the 49ers made another good move or hopping on here and not seeing the doom and gloom section lol. They made a splash with Sherman and now are just picking pieces that fit what they want in a player for their scheme.  

Archived