2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

2 hours ago, Forge said:

We signed a one dimensional pass catching back to the 4th highest contract aav wise for running backs and potentially a good center to miscast as a guard where he's already tried and failed. Smarter is not the word I'm thinking of using, though I'll let the dust settle on richburg to see where he's going to play first. The way the contracts are written is a big thing as well

Go look at Kilgore's contract and then tell me if the FO consider him to be a long term answer at C. I think Richburg is pretty clearly going to be our starting C and it's Kilgore that's being bumped. I feel he was re-signed as a safety measure, more than anything, and the FO bought him out by giving him 5.5m this year, and virtually no dead money afterward. Kilgore could have tested free agency and gotten more guaranteed money elsewhere, probably. But we wanted to play it safe in case we couldn't sign a guy like Richburg. But now that we have, we no longer really need Kilgore past this year.

McKinnon is a bit underwhelming. His one dimension could make our offense really explosive, though. I have no idea if he's a good pass blocker, and I sure hope he is. I don't know, he's making me draw out of my wishful thinking account a lot more than I'd like. But I'm not running on wishful thinking credit just yet. My confidence lies in Shanahan, at this point, in that his offense and Jimmy's intelligence will make McKinnon look better than he has so far in his career. I'm still very excited about Breida, and curious about Williams, so I don't think all our eggs are in McKinnon's basket. I'm slightly disappointed we probably won't be looking at a guy like Penny in the draft, though. That would have been exciting.

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Disappointing. Our pass rush is going to be brutal next year unless we make some sort of move. That can crush any potential playoff aspirations right out of the gate. 

Let's hope that between Marsh/Harold and a rookie, we can get something out of the Leo, and that rookie/Pita Taumeapenu (I tried to write that off memory... how did I do?), we can get something out of the Sam... it's hard not to imagine our offense will score points this year, but I'm still very unsure how we are going to stop other teams. Maybe everyone will just take a step forward and the injured players will remain healthy. That could be enough. 

I don't know how everyone replying to me has missed the fact that I said "potentially" and "have to wait for the dust to settle on richburg to see where he's going to play first". The fact is, we have no idea where he's going to play, and the chance that he plays guard are just as great as the chance that he plays center. I don't think that there's anything clear about Richburg playing center at this point. 

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

Let's hope that between Marsh/Harold and a rookie, we can get something out of the Leo, and that rookie/Pita Taumeapenu (I tried to write that off memory... how did I do?), we can get something out of the Sam... it's hard not to imagine our offense will score points this year, but I'm still very unsure how we are going to stop other teams. Maybe everyone will just take a step forward and the injured players will remain healthy. That could be enough. 

Close. It is Taumoepenu. I was really excited about getting him. Hope he at least turns into a good situational pass rusher.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I read someone say McKinnon is Shanny's new Tevin Coleman. Makes sense. 

As for Kilgore being penciled in as the starting C? I'm not too sure, regardless of what Maiocco says. 

Me either. But the fact is that we don't know...so there's a chance we did sign him to play guard. Maybe it's just for a year as Rudy suggests, or maybe it's longer. The fact is, the possibility exists. Can't just assume he's playing center no more than we can just assume that he's playing guard. Have to wait and see what they say and do. 

49ers fans, get ready for the following series of events:

-Catches check down pass

-Sees two defenders ready to tackle him

-Rather than trying to avoid contact, chooses to go full steam into both players

-Makes bone crushing hit no ordinary human should make

-Gets a couple more yards as a result

-How is he still alive?

-Pops right back up

-Takes a couple steps

-Doubles over as if in pain

-Oh **** no we can’t lose you McKinnon

-Calmly adjusts sock and trots off to the sideline

-**** you Jerick, don’t you worry me like that

-Repeat

Sad to see him go, but you're getting a great player

From a vikings fan on /r/nfl about the typical Jerrick McKinnon play. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't know how everyone replying to me has missed the fact that I said "potentially" and "have to wait for the dust to settle on richburg to see where he's going to play first". The fact is, we have no idea where he's going to play, and the chance that he plays guard are just as great as the chance that he plays center. I don't think that there's anything clear about Richburg playing center at this point. 

If we still had sigs, I'd sig bet you!!!

Honestly, if he doesn't play C on week 1 for us (barring injuries), I'm prepared to remove my Brian Jennings avatar... for a week.

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Close. It is Taumoepenu. I was really excited about getting him. Hope he at least turns into a good situational pass rusher.

Damn... I knew there was an o somewhere in there.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

We signed a one dimensional pass catching back to the 4th highest contract aav wise for running backs and potentially a good center to miscast as a guard where he's already tried and failed. Smarter is not the word I'm thinking of using, though I'll let the dust settle on richburg to see where he's going to play first. The way the contracts are written is a big thing as well

For some reason our management likes Kilgore. But I have no doubt that Richburg is a much better C. I'm guessing, or at least hoping, that there will be some open competition and experimenting in camp and that Richburg will win the spot. Then Kilgore can compete for a starting G spot.  I'm not a Kilgore fan but he would certainly make a great, experiencce backup C/G.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

For some reason our management likes Kilgore. But I have no doubt that Richburg is a much better C. I'm guessing, or at least hoping, that there will be some open competition and experimenting in camp and that Richburg will win the spot. Then Kilgore can compete for a starting G spot.  I'm not a Kilgore fan but he would certainly make a great, experiencce backup C/G.

For sure, I dig Kilgore as a back up guard/center. Honestly, I'd probably sooner start Tomlinson / Garnett at the guard spots with Richburg in the middle and Kilgore in the primary back up role along with Magnuson (assuming beadles is cut) or a rookie, and then Gilliam as the swing tackle. 

Archived