2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd take a guaranteed pick now, or a player in a similar situation (young, on rookie deal, not working for current team), rather than try for a comp pick, which is not guaranteed and restricts us from spending money in free agency. I view him at best as a below average LEO right now, or a back up, especially if we draft someone like Landry. Are we really going to miss him as a back up? I don't think so. The depth is nice, but we have a crowded defensive line in the back up section that I think we could live without him. If you want to bank on his potential coming out in this last year of his deal, I get that, but I think the likelihood of him showing out is very, very remote...no worse or better than say, a fifth round pick panning out. That's all. 

He can be a subpar starting LEO and depth at both big end and 3T. He probably could/will provide above replacement level snaps at all three spots, which is useful. If you don't have one or two of those types as depth, you end up with Zane Beadles starting for a couple of games. Never go Zane Beadles. I agree he shouldn't be part of the team's long term plans and ideally should be traded, but I do not think that a trade that replaces that quality depth at three positions value for this year is likely. The compensation that would be offered for him is probably going to be more along the lines of 5th-6th-7th, IMO, and unless you get the first of those, I have a difficult time accepting that the value of the year of his snaps is equivalent to the pick. My bet is he'll be a really decent upside pickup for a team that doesn't have as many similar players as we do next year.

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd take a guaranteed pick now, or a player in a similar situation (young, on rookie deal, not working for current team), rather than try for a comp pick, which is not guaranteed and restricts us from spending money in free agency. I view him at best as a below average LEO right now, or a back up, especially if we draft someone like Landry. Are we really going to miss him as a back up? I don't think so. The depth is nice, but we have a crowded defensive line in the back up section that I think we could live without him. If you want to bank on his potential coming out in this last year of his deal, I get that, but I think the likelihood of him showing out is very, very remote...no worse or better than say, a fifth round pick panning out. That's all. 

Agree to disagree. I suspect you rate late round draft picks higher than I do but their hit rate is extremely low. So give me Armstead in his current situation over one of those picks any day. But fair enough for anyone who is on the other side. 

1 minute ago, Uncle_Rico said:

Agree to disagree. I suspect you rate late round draft picks higher than I do but their hit rate is extremely low. So give me Armstead in his current situation over one of those picks any day. But fair enough for anyone who is on the other side. 

Nah, I just have that little faith in Armstead living up to whatever potential was supposedly there when we drafted him in this scheme lol. But yeah, I get the appeal in keeping him, I don't have any problems with us doing that, I just don't expect anything from him. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, who knows. 

Should also be noted with regards to Armstead - I was never a fan. I didn't like him coming out, and didn't view him as a first rounder. Some may remember. When that happens, I'm notoriously harder than I probably should be, particularly when they don't look very good right from the jump. I was ready to cut Vance in year 2 in favor of Celek lol. I'm ready to move on from Garnett already after a partial season of bad guard play. So there's a little more bias from me in that regard. 

With Armstead, I'm sort of in the middle. I agree he's good to keep around when healthy, because his play has never been bad, and with losing Carradine, having a good rotational DL is a good thing to have. But, I also agree that he's not a 49er in 2019, and the comp pick will be immediately erased by a likely free agent pickup, since we should once again have big needs and cap space to play with.

So for me, I trade him for a player or a desperate team willing to shell out a pick in the top 4 rounds. I don't think that latter part will happen, but if a team wants Armstead and has a worthy WR, G, Edge rusher, or linebacker they can part with, then I do that in a heartbeat. Backups are great. Contributors are better.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Didn't they do that last year, only to trade him like a week later or something? or did he sign with another team and then was traded to the vikings like a  week later. 

He signed with the hawks and was traded for a seventh rounder, I think. Then he barely played, because the vikes secondary already has better players. It's weird that Brock didn't try his luck elsewhere.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Signed with Seahawks who traded him a month later to the Vikes. My post was confused and wrong. The Vikes let him go. He signed with Denver. Will go correct the bad post.

Oh... that makes more sense.

10 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

With Armstead, I'm sort of in the middle. I agree he's good to keep around when healthy, because his play has never been bad, and with losing Carradine, having a good rotational DL is a good thing to have. But, I also agree that he's not a 49er in 2019, and the comp pick will be immediately erased by a likely free agent pickup, since we should once again have big needs and cap space to play with.

So for me, I trade him for a player or a desperate team willing to shell out a pick in the top 4 rounds. I don't think that latter part will happen, but if a team wants Armstead and has a worthy WR, G, Edge rusher, or linebacker they can part with, then I do that in a heartbeat. Backups are great. Contributors are better.

I feel like Armstead has zero chance to blossom into a great player with us, because of the fit and the players we currently have. He can only ever be average if we try to force him into the leo role. But I feel like he could be a good player on another team. I think it's a bit unfair to him. I'd do him the favour of trading him to another team, personally. If I was Lynch, I'd go have a talk with him and ask him if he feels he's miscast here, and if he'd like to be traded. If he says yes, then explore it, and even if we don't get as much as we'd like, you do him the favour. Then, maybe the word spreads around and our GM's reputation gets even better, and it helps with free agents even more. If we keep him, we're wasting his potential and he's wasting his time, really. We could then use the roster spot on a better fit.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I do not prefer Landry or Davenport at 9 lol. 

Find a way to trade down to the 20s and pick up an extra 2. Take Sutton in the 20s and then take Malik Jefferson and Kemoko Turray in the second. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

So with Kilgore out, that means we have to be back in the market for an interior offensive lineman, right? Maybe Pugh or Mewhort? 

I still think we need to bring in two new Guards to compete. I don't like laken and have no idea how Garnett will play.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I still think we need to bring in two new Guards to compete. I don't like laken and have no idea how Garnett will play.

I am not a believer in Garnett, but I just don't see them tossing him away at this point. I think they are content to start the season with him as one starting guard.  Tomlinson would actually be a pretty good depth piece as a back up guard, and he's still on his rookie deal (last year), so at that kind of cheap cost, there's no reason to dump him. Let him be the back up - he has a lot of starting experience and if we have to put him in the line up at some point, we could do a lot worse. I just don't want to start the season with both of them in the starting lineup

Archived