2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

This is true too. It could have been a perfect storm of losing Fusco, guys not wanting to come here, the 49ers not being interested, or losing out on a bidding war even though there weren't any reports of being connected to any notable names. 

Yeah. There's only so much time in a day and trying to plan and fit a bunch of hypothetical contract/depth situations is not easy. Add in constant communication between the FO and agents, then trying to persuade a player to come. The Fusco thing is weird, I think he just hit a number and they might have still been on the Weston Richburg contract and just wanted to hold off on negotiating with him, and he just peaced out.  So many factors at play. Fact is, we got 3 big name Free Agents which is a real nice haul. Replacing a god awful center, CB and adding a missing element in the passing game are huge for us in the long and short term. 

I'd still like to see us move on Kline or Mewhort if possible. Breeland too since he failed his physical with Carolina. 

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah. There's only so much time in a day and trying to plan and fit a bunch of hypothetical contract/depth situations is not easy. Add in constant communication between the FO and agents, then trying to persuade a player to come. The Fusco thing is weird, I think he just hit a number and they might have still been on the Weston Richburg contract and just wanted to hold off on negotiating with him, and he just peaced out.  So many factors at play. Fact is, we got 3 big name Free Agents which is a real nice haul. Replacing a god awful center, CB and adding a missing element in the passing game are huge for us in the long and short term. 

I'd still like to see us move on Kline or Mewhort if possible. Breeland too since he failed his physical with Carolina. 

Me too on Breeland, but wouldn't he still fail our physical? 

18 minutes ago, John232 said:

Kline signed Wednesday. 

"Titans are signing G Josh Kline to a 4-year, $26M with $12M gtd, per source. Potential to make up to $27M."

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Oh, it was a pretty big overpay there. I was listening to a podcast, and they brought up an interesting point in that they thought that shanny and lunch get so fixated on who they want, that it's plan a b c and that we pay a premium when we don't have to. Basically saying that just because we value them more than the other teams at that level doesn't mean we have to pay that level. They equated it to seeing a 400k house, and being so in love with it that you offer 600k when you could overpaid 450k and gotten it. They thought that we did that with McKinnon, smith and juice check last year. I thought it was pretty interesting. Not right or wrong, but interesting

The good thing is that the deals are structured in such ways that we can get out of them after a year or two. I think we do pay an unnecessary premium for these guys, but I feel like we're doing so in order to get these deals we can work with later. If we sign someone to a five year deal, it's perhaps treated like a two year deal, and we pay more in order to get that shorter term while allowing ourselves the flexibility in years to come. Maybe we wouldn't take the same approach if we were spending close to the cap. We'd spread out the financial impact of the deals over more years and we'd then get a "discount" on the yearly average. But since we have loads of cap space, and we'll have big contracts coming in a few years, we're mostly paying more now in order to have flexibility later. 

7 hours ago, John232 said:

Say this every single year too. Missing out on a free agent could mean a number of things happened...such as the player having no interest in playing here Every year, myself included, people get upset of not getting so & so star UFA...They may have had no interest in playing in California, bay area, for shanny. 

Just worth remembering that signing a guy is a two way street. 

I just keep thinking about how for a full week, it was reported we hadn't even made a trade offer for Talib, and then a week later, a report came out that not only had we made an offer, but it had been nixed by Talib himself. All these reports that we had no interest and haven't even made offers to these Gs, does it really mean we had no interest, or did we explore, it didn't look promising, so the official story became that we had no interest, and there was no fit? This isn't the Baalke era 49ers. We don't know what's happening behind closed doors. I think we're doing our homework. Maybe it's true that these guys are not fit. Maybe we're worried about the injury history of guys like Pugh and Mewhort, and we're not willing to go five years and guaranteeing money to them. Maybe we're letting the market die down on them, and maybe then we can get one of them on a one year deal once they've exhausted their long-term deal opportunities. 

By the way, @PapaShogun, let's not forget we're three days into free agency. It's not like we can say we failed at free agency just yet. It's not over. We got worse because we didnt re-sign Fusco? Really? I feel like replacing a guy like him with a more talented player is still relatively easy. It's not like he was an all-pro, out there. He was just an average guard who happened to be better than who? Zane Beadles? Better than a rookie Eric Magnuson? I just feel it's too early to say we got worse on the OL. And yeah, improving at center can be huge. Even if we go back with Tomlinson and someone worse than Fusco, we could still be significantly better than last year. 

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Didn't know Pugh already signed with the Cards. One fewer option. But I doubt we would have signed two iOL to similar 45m deals in the same week.

Yeah, at this point, there's nowhere else to really go on the interior line. Mewhort is pretty solid when he's healthy, but health is a big deal. I'm wondering if he ends up on a one year deal somewhere. 

1 minute ago, the-catch said:

Find it strange the only iOL we looked at was Richburg. Considering we didn't even look at Pugh, Sitton, nor Norwell, makes me wonder if we're even considering Nelson if available. 

I've begun to have my doubts that we are, even if he were to fall into our laps. 

I think this is going to be a defensive heavy first couple of rounds in this draft. 

11 minutes ago, the-catch said:

Find it strange the only iOL we looked at was Richburg. Considering we didn't even look at Pugh, Sitton, nor Norwell, makes me wonder if we're even considering Nelson if available. 

I feel the same, unless the plan was to trade up for Nelson if he gets close to our pick

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've begun to have my doubts that we are, even if he were to fall into our laps. 

I think this is going to be a defensive heavy first couple of rounds in this draft. 

Looks like we might be going Harold at 9. I know most see him as a mid-late, but considering how weak the off-season in both FA and this draft is, wouldn't be surprised to see an early run on edge rushers.  Seems like every year, there's a surprise trend. 

Just now, the-catch said:

Looks like we might be going Harold at 9. I know most see him as a mid-late, but considering how weak the off-season in both FA and this draft is, wouldn't be surprised to see an early run on edge rushers.  Seems like every year, there's a surprise trend. 

I keep waiting for the run of first round punters and long snappers....I'm always disappointed. 

Archived