2018 NFL Free Agents Thread

DirtyJersey9er

16 hours ago, Forge said:

The Browns got EJ Gaines for 1 year, 4 million...really? So Mewhort and Gaines go for a combined 7 million and we aren't in on that? Less than what we are paying McKinnon on an apy basis lol. 

I would have thought Gaines would have been on our radar, especially at that price.

I would agree that we are done in f.a unless someone gets cut that we like.

Have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by our signings this year but time will tell.

If we can repeat last years performance in the draft I'll be pleased, and adding a decent pass rusher must be the priority.

Was really solid a few years ago though he allowed a lot of TDs. And obviously last year the doctor misdiagnosed his injury as he had a broken leg I believe. 

Gaines going for one year $4 million is crazy to me. Not sure why the team didn't even bring him in for a visit. 

13 minutes ago, John232 said:

I don't see Gaines as being a huge upgrade from Breaux. I mean, without looking at numbers, I feel like in every Bills thread people were torching Gaines for awful play. 

He was one of the best zone corners in the NFL last year, and has worked in both schemes, and was always pretty good with the rams as well. Gaines is a pretty big upgrade to me, though health is always a big issue with him

Sure you're not thinking of Philip Gaines with the chiefs? Lol

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was one of the best zone corners in the NFL last year, and has worked in both schemes, and was always pretty good with the rams as well. Gaines is a pretty big upgrade to me, though health is always a big issue with him

I will say if you're getting the good breaux the difference isn't much. But he's been crazy inconsistent. I wouldn't count on the consistent good breaux

1 hour ago, Forge said:

...I think it was Phil....

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I will say if you're getting the good breaux the difference isn't much. But he's been crazy inconsistent. I wouldn't count on the consistent good breaux

We could always use a good bro.

• 2 weeks later...

They gave McKinnon's signing an F. Damn lol.

I don't agree with Garoppolo write up. In fact it makes little sense. At first it says give 49ers credit for not killing their cap, and then it says they could have done much better. How so? 

Agreed on Sherman, if he is healthy, then it is a VERY good signing. 

Don't really care for the grades on the other lower signings. It felt like we overpaid guys like Gillam but nothing too major. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

https://overthecap.com/2018-free-agency-review-49ers

Free agency review of what we have done so far (not including Toomer). Sadly, agree with most of it - some meh grades along with a couple of bad ones and then a really good grade on Sherman (which is to be expected)

Anything with a one year grade isn't worth giving a grade too. Mckinnon contract is really being hailed as a flop and I don't see it. We pay more up front, but have easy outs after this year. If McKinnon ****s the bed and doesn't live up to the money, he'll be gone. Don't think it should be an A but has no business being an F. 

I'd say it's fair in regards to Marsh, Gilliam and Richburg though. 

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

Anything with a one year grade isn't worth giving a grade too. Mckinnon contract is really being hailed as a flop and I don't see it. We pay more up front, but have easy outs after this year. If McKinnon ****s the bed and doesn't live up to the money, he'll be gone. Don't think it should be an A but has no business being an F. 

I'd say it's fair in regards to Marsh, Gilliam and Richburg though. 

Mckinnon was a massive overpay, that's why the grade is harsh. Even if you cut him after this year, you still gave him 12 million for 1 year, which is just a terrible overpay and poor use of funds for the most part. You're giving him nearly Bell like money for that year (and let's be real, if we are cutting him after a year, he didn't come close to earning it) and while he's a nice weapon, people question the actual quality of running back he is. He's certainly not a top half running back in terms of what he has done. In terms of value, I'd say it's definitely one of the worst contracts given out at face value. Doesn't mean he won't be productive or that we can't get some value from having him on the team or even that he can't exceed the contract (look at Justin Smith), but these grades are largely based on face value currently and it's just an awful contract with that regard. He hasn't done anything to deserve the kind of contract he got / we gave him. Again, love the fit, but it's a terrible value. 

Archived