LA Rams: General Thread

MDY10

12 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

If we didn't have to give up a pick, I'd love Payton. Especially because he's rumored to be linked with Fangio. 

Bieniemy could be a good choice if we are going for a tank commander. 

I genuinely don't see what Bienemy brings to the table that we don't already have in Thomas Brown.  Legitimately the level of hype EB gets off of what is more-than-primarily Andy Reid's work is astonishing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I genuinely don't see what Bienemy brings to the table that we don't already have in Thomas Brown.  Legitimately the level of hype EB gets off of what is more-than-primarily Andy Reid's work is astonishing.

Agreed, I think there’s a reason he hasn’t been hired yet 

Are we allowed to be annoyed at McVay if he leaves?

He will always have my respect and I think the greatest coach in franchise history. But leaving at the first sign of struggle for a situation he helped create is....bad.

Take a few weeks/months to handle things in your personal life, but the window is still open. Leaving now is ...dare I say...cowardly. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

If we didn't have to give up a pick, I'd love Payton. Especially because he's rumored to be linked with Fangio. 

Bieniemy could be a good choice if we are going for a tank commander. 

No Bienemy. He wreaks of Adam Gase. Product of generational QB talent.

Thomas Brown-HC

Brandon Staley- DC (after LAC fire him for Payton)

4 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He will always have my respect and I think the greatest coach in franchise history. But leaving at the first sign of struggle for a situation he helped create is....bad.

Take a few weeks/months to handle things in your personal life, but the window is still open. Leaving now is ...dare I say...cowardly. 

If you're so entitled (yeah, I passed 40, so I'm past pulling punches) that you feel like a coach owes you something even if it's at the expense of his own mental health, then sure you can be annoyed at McVay.  I'm not saying you can't be annoyed at the situation or the inconvenience of the timing of all this happening, but unless you buy the load of steaming horse apples that Florio is selling, being annoyed at the man personally is pretty cold and heartless.  Just one man's opinion.

18 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

My annoyance is directed at Snead. McVay has done too much for our team that he can leave regardless of the situation and I wouldn't have any ill will. But the reason there is the dynamic between HC and GM is because 1 guy is win now and 1 guy is thinking long-term. I have no idea why we gave so much personnel power to McVay when he was never committed to being here long-term. And to McVay's credit, this retiring talk is not out of left-field. We knew he wasn't going to be here for 10+ years. Thank goodness the Panthers declined both our McCaffrey and Burns offers. 

13 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

No Bienemy. He wreaks of Adam Gase. Product of generational QB talent.

Thomas Brown-HC

Brandon Staley- DC (after LAC fire him for Payton)

Yeah, I don't want any part of Bienemy. Unless we need the tank commander for Caleb. The only thing I know about Thomas Brown is that McVay loves him but the reporting was that he was the one that wanted Rashaad Samples as the RB coach this year which was a complete disaster. I'd guess he isn't ready. If we stayed in house, I think Raheem is if can land Evero as the DC. 

Edited by LeotheLion

22 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

If you're so entitled (yeah, I passed 40, so I'm past pulling punches) that you feel like a coach owes you something even if it's at the expense of his own mental health, then sure you can be annoyed at McVay.  I'm not saying you can't be annoyed at the situation or the inconvenience of the timing of all this happening, but unless you buy the load of steaming horse apples that Florio is selling, being annoyed at the man personally is pretty cold and heartless.  Just one man's opinion.

I'm 33 (if that matters?)

Florio is a joke with a vendetta against the Rams. So him aside, I don't think it's heartless and cold to hold people accountable for their decisions.  Even though I'm young, the mental health wave needs to be scaled back a tad. We throw that term around at the first sign of hardship and if you disagree with it you're labeled "cold". It's horse apples.

McVay (and Snead) created a strategy that would afford us a 2-3 year championship window to compete for Super bowls. We won one and then the team struggled, no doubt due to a lack of depth related to top heavy contracts and lack of draft picks that were needed when injuries hit. 

McVay signed a contract through 2026. And at the first sign of struggle, he wants to leave. I do not agree with this. IDC how that makes me look to some. 

We deserve, at the very least, one last year from him while in this window that he's mortgaged the franchises future to create. He feels his job is done after one ring. Maybe it is. But I viewed him like I do the Belichick's, Tomlin's, Harbaugh's, Carroll's of the world. Maybe I was wrong?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

I'm 33 (if that matters?)

Florio is a joke with a vendetta against the Rams. So him aside, I don't think it's heartless and cold to hold people accountable for their decisions.  Even though I'm young, the mental health wave needs to be scaled back a tad. We throw that term around at the first sign of hardship and if you disagree with it you're labeled "cold". It's horse apples.

McVay (and Snead) created a strategy that would afford us a 2-3 year championship window to compete for Super bowls. We won one and then the team struggled, no doubt due to a lack of depth related to top heavy contracts and lack of draft picks that were needed when injuries hit. 

McVay signed a contract through 2026. And at the first sign of struggle, he wants to leave. I do not agree with this. IDC how that makes me look to some. 

We deserve, at the very least, one last year from him while in this window that he's mortgaged the franchises future to create. He feels his job is done after one ring. Maybe it is. But I viewed him like I do the Belichick's, Tomlin's, Harbaugh's, Carroll's of the world. Maybe I was wrong?

You realize that he lost his grandfather (the guy who is literally the reason he got into football in the first place and who he associates most closely with football) back on Halloween, right?  He's a young guy working out making time for a wife (and eventual family) who happens to have a family that's in a war-torn country right now that's been invaded.  And he's already a Type A personality that puts too much on his own plate out of habit.  So no, the mental health stuff is quite valid.  He's got a lot to process and hasn't had much in the way of time, till now, to process it.  And if you expect or feel entitled to someone sacrificing their health because he made some perceived promise to you, when he owes you nothing, that's the definition of cold.

If you don't care how it makes you look, I'd question why you felt the need to put up defense against being called "cold" (and that being crap) because you disagreed with a concern for his mental health.  Don't lie on yourself.

You make a lot, and i mean, A LOT of assumptions in your final paragraph.  We don't deserve and are not owed anything.  A better argument could be made that guy's like Aaron Donald, Matt Stafford, etc. are owed or deserve at least one more year from him, but they're also compensated financially in a way that offsets the degree to how much they're truly owed.

20 hours ago, MDY10 said:

If he comes back after a year off, I doubt it’ll be with the rams. I don’t see how they hire someone and give him the boot after a year. Maybe we can get a first round pick though for him like the saints want with Payton 

I don't know, i have a hard time thinking that Mcvay will quit the Rams for another club.  He fits LA, her wife fits LA, his swag fits LA, his mind fits LA. 

I can see Raheem for a 1 year interim until Mcvay come back as HC. 

56 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

You realize that he lost his grandfather (the guy who is literally the reason he got into football in the first place and who he associates most closely with football) back on Halloween, right?  He's a young guy working out making time for a wife (and eventual family) who happens to have a family that's in a war-torn country right now that's been invaded.  And he's already a Type A personality that puts too much on his own plate out of habit.  So no, the mental health stuff is quite valid.  He's got a lot to process and hasn't had much in the way of time, till now, to process it.  And if you expect or feel entitled to someone sacrificing their health because he made some perceived promise to you, when he owes you nothing, that's the definition of cold.

If you don't care how it makes you look, I'd question why you felt the need to put up defense against being called "cold" (and that being crap) because you disagreed with a concern for his mental health.  Don't lie on yourself.

You make a lot, and i mean, A LOT of assumptions in your final paragraph.  We don't deserve and are not owed anything.  A better argument could be made that guy's like Aaron Donald, Matt Stafford, etc. are owed or deserve at least one more year from him, but they're also compensated financially in a way that offsets the degree to how much they're truly owed.

This conversation likely will just continue to get more personal. So this will be my last response on the issue.

I am owed nothing in this equation. The franchise catered to McVay's requests (we need Stafford, cant win with Gurley, etc) and opened up this "window" to contend. McVay delivered in Year 1 of that window. In Year 2, he faltered and I attribute that to the way the team was constructed. McVay is leaving before Year 3 and with 4 years left on his deal.

"Tough times do not last, tough people do".

Hope McVay sticks around.

2 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

I get what he’s done for us, but I’ll be a little annoyed personally. I think it’s understandable that he has a wife now and wants to start a family and can have all that plus an easy job with someone like Amazon.

I don’t necessarily agree that times got tough and he bailed, because this was a topic of conversation last year too before this brutal season.

The reason I’d be annoyed is because we finally have a good coach for the first time in such a long time and he’s planning on walking away so soon. It’s almost like a HOF player retiring really young and out of nowhere. It just leaves a bitter taste in your mouth even though you understand it. If someone said he could leave and be our coach again in a year or 2 I’d be all for it.. but I don’t see that happening at all. Once he’s out, I don’t see him coaching this team again. 

I hate being in a “why me?(us)” mentality but why is it us that finally finds a great young coach and he doesn’t want to coach for 20+ years lol 

All that said, if he leaves, I understand. I’ll just be upset about it. I don’t think anyone can do what he’s done or would do if he stayed. The only good thing is if he wants to coach again and Payton is getting a first rounder, then we’re getting at least 2 firsts for him when he’s back lol

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 7:53 PM, MDY10 said:

If he comes back after a year off, I doubt it’ll be with the rams. I don’t see how they hire someone and give him the boot after a year. Maybe we can get a first round pick though for him like the saints want with Payton 

He's under contract for 6 more years I think, so unless someone gives us like 3 1st round picks, he's not coaching anywhere else. 

5 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

We absolutely are, just like he's allowed to not care about our opinions. I think it's very preachy for people to act like fans aren't allowed to be annoyed by the HC mortgaging the future (along with the GM) and then leaving when times get tough. 

Do I blame him for doing what's best for him and his family? Not at all. I support it, but acting like it's selfish for fans to also be annoyed about the situation is pretty ridiculous. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JonStark said:

He's under contract for 6 more years I think, so unless someone gives us like 3 1st round picks, he's not coaching anywhere else. 

Right, but that’s why I was saying about getting picks for him. What are we going to do? Simply get rid of whatever coach we replaced him with just because he wants to come back? I don’t see how that would work.