Week 17 GDT - Houston Texans at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

The saints are mainly the team we want out because we didn't play them. I believe that if we were in a three way tie with Philly and Minnesota, for example, then we would in fact get in because then our victories over each apply. Same for Atlanta. 

I believe that's how we got the one seed in 2019 as we had beat both the Packers and saints

I mean let’s just see what happens with Lance this week, I’m not looking past the Texans anymore

This is probably going to be a ball control 40+ carry type gameplan from Shanny, especially with Mitchell likely back

Lance may be practicing well, but he's 21 making his 2nd career start. Training wheels will have to come off at some point, maybe next game against LA, but Shanny will most likely ease Lance in 

Looks like Jimmy will have a shot to go this week as well as Mitchell. Jimmy's injury is technically a fracture since the bone got chipped but that's not a big issue and it's the grade 3 sprain he has to the UCL. 

Will be interesting to see if Jimmy is limited today or doesn't practice at all. 

So glad to have Mitchell back though. Our running game is different with him. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like Jimmy will have a shot to go this week as well as Mitchell. Jimmy's injury is technically a fracture since the bone got chipped but that's not a big issue and it's the grade 3 sprain he has to the UCL. 

Will be interesting to see if Jimmy is limited today or doesn't practice at all. 

So glad to have Mitchell back though. Our running game is different with him. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy goes. He was able to finish last week, so clearly he can grip the ball to some degree. I think we will just gameplan to keep everything fairly close in. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy goes. He was able to finish last week, so clearly he can grip the ball to some degree. I think we will just gameplan to keep everything fairly close in. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Apparently Kyle and the trainers knew about Jimmy's injury during the game. If Jimmy can go, he'll go. Kyle views him as the best option to win, maybe even at less than 100%

I mean Shanny mentioned on Monday he was told about Jimmy's thumb but thought it just got jammed up. Jimmy himself didn't know the severity of the injury until that night when went to bed and the adrenaline had gone away. Pretty sure it had started to swell pretty bad where he knew something was wrong. 

Basically, it would have been easier for him to grip the ball on Thursday with the adrenaline running high than it will this week in practice. Maybe he is able to do some thing on Thursday and then on Sunday during game day is able to grip the ball fairly well. 

I still think Lance will go but they may suit Jimmy up as the emergency QB. Week 18 should be when he returns against the Rams. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Shanny mentioned on Monday he was told about Jimmy's thumb but thought it just got jammed up. Jimmy himself didn't know the severity of the injury until that night when went to bed and the adrenaline had gone away. Pretty sure it had started to swell pretty bad where he knew something was wrong. 

Basically, it would have been easier for him to grip the ball on Thursday with the adrenaline running high than it will this week in practice. Maybe he is able to do some thing on Thursday and then on Sunday during game day is able to grip the ball fairly well. 

I still think Lance will go but they may suit Jimmy up as the emergency QB. Week 18 should be when he returns against the Rams. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Tomorrow is the key day, I didn't expect him to do much today. That's why I said if he's limited Thursday, he may have a shot but I think it is a long shot. Jimmy mentioned today the second half was hard since he couldn't use his thumb and said he tried to keep it low key on the sidelines since he knew cameras were on...And then said as the QB he knows he has to be out there. LOL, that injury plague tag on him has gotten to him and now he is trying to toughen it out with any injury and doesn't want Lance to have any shot at taking his job. I'm sure last season was not great for him either with the organization kind of questioning his toughness. 

The thumb is still swollen though, and I can't imagine that goes all the way down by Sunday. 

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Don't think Jimmy plays. Despite what was said in the pressers, I just see that as a bit of gamesmanship from the coach and the quarterback to help the team, even if it's against the Texans. Might as well keep the Texans guessing even if the 49ers poker face isn't very strong. 

Yeah, he's not playing. Swelling will have to go down for him to have a chance to play next week. 

More importantly, Mitchell practiced for the first time in like a month. Good to see, hope he plays and Sermon is activated. 

So does Sherfield get more time now that Lance will be the QB? Those two had great chemistry in camp and anytime you saw a highlight of Lance connecting on a deep ball, it was always to Sherfield.

Really curious to see the type of running game Shanny will come up with for Sunday. Will he use Deebo as much with Lance being a running threat himself and Mitchell likely returning? Will Sermon be activated and get some carries??

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So does Sherfield get more time now that Lance will be the QB? Those two had great chemistry in camp and anytime you saw a highlight of Lance connecting on a deep ball, it was always to Sherfield.

Really curious to see the type of running game Shanny will come up with for Sunday. Will he use Deebo as much with Lance being a running threat himself and Mitchell likely returning? Will Sermon be activated and get some carries??

Whitner thinks that it'll be Jimmy still this week lol. 

Sherfield shouldn't get more time. You're not changing the overall offensive philosophy which encompasses the most 21 personnel packages in the NFL by a toooooooooooooon this year (roughly 2 out of every five offensive snaps comes out of 21 for us). We run roughly 54% of our snaps with 2 receivers or less on the field. I don't expect that philosophy to change, and we shouldn't be popping in Sherfield for Deebo / Aiyuk more than we have to. If we are actually just going to start running more 3 receiver sets, than sure...but that's definitely not something I expect to happen. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Whitner thinks that it'll be Jimmy still this week lol. 

Sherfield shouldn't get more time. You're not changing the overall offensive philosophy which encompasses the most 21 personnel packages in the NFL by a toooooooooooooon this year (roughly 2 out of every five offensive snaps comes out of 21 for us). We run roughly 54% of our snaps with 2 receivers or less on the field. I don't expect that philosophy to change, and we shouldn't be popping in Sherfield for Deebo / Aiyuk more than we have to. If we are actually just going to start running more 3 receiver sets, than sure...but that's definitely not something I expect to happen. 

Jimmy couldn't even pass yesterday lol. The swelling isn't going to go down today and this will be the last true practice of the week. 

I'm not asking for Sherfield to replace Deebo/Aiyuk. But those snaps that Jennings and Benjamin are in for, can some of those snaps go to Sherfield?