How do you remember John Madden?

ET80

17 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

My first memory is opposing coach to Lombardi in Super Bowl II. The game was blacked out in Miami so my dad drove the family to Fort Pierce. That was the first major city outside the blackout window. Lots of people were doing the same thing we were. Businesses were taking advantage by showing the game on TV and advertising the fact outside. We found a bowling alley with a sign and a jammed parking lot. Nobody was bowling. They closed everything off other than watching the game. I remember sitting at a long table while rooting for the Packers. That was the game with the two huge snorting floats at halftime, one Packer and one Raider. Spraying smoke out of their mouths. It was so cool and so memorable I assumed every game for the rest of my life would feature that.

That float description made me laugh, cheers. But Raiders head coach for Super Bowl II was Johnny Rauch, yes?. Madden was LB coach and prolly got no screen time?

I'm guilty of cheering hard against Madden when the Broncos got hot in 1977, and then beat the defending champ Raiders in the playoffs. Was just tired of the Raiders being on TV every freaking playoff season, dang they won so often it was annoying. Got my Mom to order me a Denver Broncos sweatshirt from the Sears catalog and everything. Only took me like 2 years to realize the logo was actually a snorting horse rearing on its hind legs. Was wearing it when the Broncos got destroyed by the Cowboys 27-10 in the Super Bowl, what a snoozer. 

I was born right before his coaching career ended so I never experienced that. As with a lot of people him and Pat announcing games was my first introduction to him.

As far as the game, I actually didn’t get into Madden right off the bat. My friends and I were playing Tecmo Super Bowl a lot when I was young. I had a friend who had one of the earlier Madden games that I was able to play when I went by his house.

I was more a baseball guy prior to that and moved onto basketball when the Bucks brought in Vin Baker and Big Dog. So my football video game change came when I moved out of my parents house and bought the Dreamcast bundle (NBA2K, NFL2K and NHL2K) I don’t remember when I made the switch from 2K to Madden but it wasn’t long after that. 

I remember him as a anchor and from the video game. It was sad to hear of his passing he was important to so many people. What I remember when I think of John Madden is how the look of football changed when he was a coach and a broadcaster, he was important for football and the players who have all played in the NFL. 

On 12/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, CP3MVP said:

I think that the Patriots — with this field position, you have to just run the clock out,” Madden said. “You have to play for overtime now.

You know what is even funnier about that? How many Rams fans were shocked that the Patriots didn't follow that advice.  They were thinking they would win in over time, while I told them the game was over.  They thought there was no way.