How do you remember John Madden?

ET80

It's a very safe assumption to say if you follow football right now, you have heard the name "Madden". It could be from the game, it could be from the broadcasting excellence he brought to the table with Pat Summerall, it could be from his days as the HC of the Raiders.

John Madden passed away today at the age of 85, and he left a legacy that will carry on for decades. You can't tell the story of the NFL without mentioning John Madden in some capacity. What is your earliest memory of John Madden?

For me it's twofold - I remember him calling the Cowboys games in the 90s, back when Houston didn't have a team; Pat Summerall would provide the play by play, Madden would bring an excitement to the play with his feedback and drawings on the telestrater. 

Then, there's the game - the first copy I owned was 1992 on the SNES, and I was loyal to the product until 2006. I still play Madden 2006 on the PS2, if we're being honest...

• Like 10

Well I'm old so I remember him as a coach first. Then as the Miller Lite guy busting through the paper banner and saying BOOM. Then him and Pat Summerall as best announcing team ever. 

I actually bought Madden '92 for the Sega Genesis. Really mind-blowing game technology at the time. John WAS pro football. Nobody enhanced the sport in so many different ways, he was one of a kind. 

• Like 1

I will always remember his drawing during the telecast. Just breaking down plays right after they happened, occasionally drawing ideas before a play. It was an event when he was on the tv, and the Super Bowl just felt bigger when he and Pat were the ones doing it. 

• Like 3

As a announcer. I was just a bit too young to ever see him coach, much less remember it.

I will say I will always appreciate the spotlight and emphasis he gave to the non flashy parts of the game. The trenches, the grinders. It lead me to appreciating much more of the game at a young age than I probably would have otherwise. He would point out the work in the trenches, the pursuit tackle a DT made 10 yards down the field. That kind of stuff.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pwny said:

I will always remember his drawing during the telecast. Just breaking down plays right after they happened, occasionally drawing ideas before a play. It was an event when he was on the tv, and the Super Bowl just felt bigger when he and Pat were the ones doing it. 

I don’t understand why color guys can’t/don’t do that much anymore. It’s great for visual learning.

• Like 1

I never got to witness Maddens great coaching career, but him and Pat Summerall calling games in the early 90s are some of my earliest football memories.     His love affair with Brett Favre was comedy gold, especially when parodied by guys like Frank Calliendo.   And obviously, his name is connected to a once great football franchise that now tarnishes Johns great legacy.

A few things that came to mind:

- Thanksgiving, and his reaction to Randy Moss evicerating the Dallas Cowboys' defense: "Oh... you know he's eating turkey today! I don't know how you stop him... but it sure is fun to watch!"

- Any time he is calling a game with Brett Favre: "He's like a kid out there - boy, he's having the time of his life today!"

- He was once asked how teams could stop RB Chris Johnson: "First, you have to stop trying to tackle a human... because Chris Johnson isn't human."

- During his HoF induction speech: "... you're down to the last person (in the HoF) and they leave and turns out the lights. I believe... the busts talk to each other."

- One random game at Texas Stadium, when they played on that painted concrete called Astroturf, a player dived and skinned up his elbow. Madden used the telestrater to circle the injury: "You see this? This is called a strawberry. Because it's red. (Long Pause) ...Like a strawberry."

- Madden calling the Brett Favre dad game: "Look at those numbers (399/4TDs). To the rest of us, we'll remember Favre today - to Favre, he'll remember his dad this way."

• Like 2