How do you remember John Madden?

ET80

Kinda made me think about how John Madden, Don Shula, and Tom Landry were all once labeled with the dreaded "can't win the big one" moniker. Because they all struggled with painful losses early yet never gave up until they all won the big one. 

If you add Chuck Noll to that mix, you have basically won almost all the Super Bowls in the 1970's. 

I will remember John Madden from the video game. I dont remember him as a coach and I barely remember him as a broadcaster. The game though is where I really remember him. I dont know when the first time I ever got a copy of Madden but I know when I did get my first copy of Madden I basically have been getting it every year with the exception of maybe twice. Sucks that he passed away today but his legacy will live forever. 

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

He's up there with Lombardi, Walsh, Belicheck and Parcells - given the cultural impact, he might be higher than all four.

John Madden was the blueprint for modern broadcasting. Without his coaching career, I don't think he's the broadcaster we know, and without his broadcasting career, the NFL would not be recognizable as a TV product. The Tony Romos of the world are doing what they can because they grew up watching Madden.

• Like 3

Getting into football in the 90s, his broadcasts were always enjoyable. He did well connecting to younger fans, maybe it was his simple approach and drawing all over the broadcast screen. His energy was always captivating, he’s one of a kind. Started playing his video games in the mid 90s as well through my high school years.

Edited by vikingsrule

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Enjoy. 

My all-time favorite delivered with his trademark deadpan: 

My favorite...

I, um... not sure if he was including Sugar Land, TX in his assessment. But I... I like to think I'm tough.

• Like 2

I'm 27, so no where near old enough to have seen him coach, but he's undoubtedly one of, if not the biggest reason I'm as in to football as I am today. He often got made fun of for it later in his broadcasting career, but the way he broke down and explained different aspects of football in a simplified way made it so easy as a fan to get in to the game and learn more. He deserves a lot of credit for how much attention he paid to and explanations he gave on trench play. The line of scrimmage is where the game is won, and no broadcaster either seemed to understand that, or at least didn't bring attention to it as much as Madden did.