Week 17 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

5 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Small chance this happens but that’s kinda wild if both teams did this lol.

I’m pretty confident the Colts beat the Jags (not very bold, I know lol).   The big upsets they’ve pulled off were vs teams that couldn’t run the ball.    Teams that run the ball well absolutely destroy the Jags D.   Would take a 3+ TO differential to give that game away. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

You're more optimistic than I am with Davis Mills. Don't get me wrong, I think he's good... and that's about it, just good. He's going to be better than Gardner Minshew was after his rookie season, but Minshew being so bad is what got Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville. 

Davis Mills is a career 8-9/9-8 QB, IMO. He's not bad enough to get you picking in the top 5, but not good enough to get you picking in the 30s. I also fully expect this Texans FO to botch building around him and a David Culley led coaching staff to hinder everyone's development, which will lead to another rebuild, and continue this path of futile failure in the next 18 months... But, I'm a pessimist like that.

San Francisco looks really solid, and there might be something special with Trey Lance. He's got a really nice set of weapons with Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle, and the Shanahan/Kubiak/Lil Shanny voodoo of turning dudes into 1,000 rushers is still going very strong.

Lance might be THAT guy in San Francisco.

Funny thing is I'd probably have more confidence in Davis Mills starting for the 49ers next week against the Rams. Lance has a long ways to go. 

23 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Party pooper.

FWIW, the good thing is if Raiders win.....they won't be the 7 seed.   Assuming KC beats DEN (fairly strong odds lol), we won't get LV-KC week 1 playoffs.

As much as I'd love to see Herbert-Mahomes 3 for 2022....I do NOT want a LV-KC v3.   Just a bad matchup with Ruggs out and Waller not 100 percent (and sadly unlikely to be ROS).   LV can beat other teams, but facing KC without Ruggs / fully healthy Waller and the decimated secondary is a bridge too far (and why I do have LAC over LV next week).   Obv TO's can flip the script, but it's a tough draw with the losses on both sides of the ball skill position wise.

Yeah, then not having Ruggs and a healthy Walker is why I think we beat them. Obviously, it’s all dependent on us having all our guys and no Covid issues. But I think on paper, we should win again.

18 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Funny thing is I'd probably have more confidence in Davis Mills starting for the 49ers next week against the Rams. Lance has a long ways to go. 

There's no doubt Lance is very limited right now.   But the arm talent is unreal.  The boundary and vertical throws he makes are basically ones that Mahomes, Allen & Herbert can make...and that's pretty much it.  And we've seen the mobility / elusiveness.   The running wasn't even that impressive this past week.    And while he is still really raw, his read progression is actually better than what I expected it to be.  Don't get me wrong, he's got a lot of flaws (the mechanics and footwork definitely need it), but this is a very special skill set we're dealing with.   

Still doesn't remove the bust potential, but next year, Lance could be similar to Jalen Hurts with a better vertical game (who also took 4 years of college at the highest levels, and 2 pro years to be where he's at now - contrast that to 1 year FCS and being benched the entire year except ARI, Lance is so much earlier in his growth curve).   To be even Hurts-level next year (amazing fantasy stats, real-life more mixed bag), let alone Hurts with a better vertical game, speaks to a sky-high ceiling (like Hurts, still can be a bust too).

A Rams D that can get to the QB, and a CB like Ramsey who can bait throws, poses a much harder test.   So yeah, a more polished QB for sure has a better chance than a raw rookie with so much to learn.    But the reasons for SF to invest so heavily in Lance, the tools and ceiling are undeniable to me (recognizing outright bust floor outcome still very much there).

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

Yeah, then not having Ruggs and a healthy Walker is why I think we beat them. Obviously, it’s all dependent on us having all our guys and no Covid issues. But I think on paper, we should win again.

We must channel our inner Rex Burkhead.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 11:33 AM, NYRaider said:

Fake punts, onside kicks, etc. 

Does that take into account that nearly all of those plays were successful or do you just disagree that they were made in the first place?

I'm not saying he has been perfect but I don't feel that any of those 'trick' plays were needlessly reckless considering the circumstances/situations.

1 minute ago, Typical_Lions said:

Does that take into account that nearly all of those plays were successful or do you just disagree that they were made in the first place?

I'm not saying he has been perfect but I don't feel that any of those 'trick' plays were needlessly reckless considering the circumstances/situations.

I just don't view him as much more than a corn ball, rah rah coach and doubt the Lions will ever be good while he's there.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I just don't view him as much more than a corn ball, rah rah coach and doubt the Lions will ever be good while he's there.

That's fair, just wanted to understand why you mentioned fake punts, etc. He may never be strategically great but I am hopeful he can get coordinators in place to shore up what he is lacking. The fact that this team is playing so hard despite how the season is going I think is fairly impressive regardless of his other shortcomings.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typical_Lions said:

The fact that this team is playing so hard despite how the season is going I think is fairly impressive regardless of his other shortcomings.

Agreed.
And if you go into every game knowing you are outmanned, you have to find a different way to win. Hence all the trick plays.  I've come around on Campbell, but he's got to do better than Anthony Lynn and I think he will. Campbell was an unknown- so I'm sure it was hard to lure the top assistants - but he has the team playing hard for him and he might have better choices during this hiring cycle.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Agreed.
And if you go into every game knowing you are outmanned, you have to find a different way to win. Hence all the trick plays.  I've come around on Campbell, but he's got to do better than Anthony Lynn and I think he will. Campbell was an unknown- so I'm sure it was hard to lure the top assistants - but he has the team playing hard for him and he might have better choices during this hiring cycle.

Yeah, Lynn was a regrettable hire as OC but he may not have had many reasonable options and Lynn does have some head coaching experience which was potentially useful. All in all, Campbell did take a pretty big gamble hiring 7 former players, many with little coaching experience, to the coaching staff but overall they seem mostly okay (though to be fair it is a hard season to evaluate a lot of aspects of a player or coach's performance as a fan). In the end, at least Matt Patricia and Bob Quinn are no longer in charge.