Clearing Cap Space ('22)

Les Punting

1 hour ago, KFP7 said:

A few cap clearing approaches seem to be cutting/trading Amos.  I might be wrong here, but he seems to be one of those guys that does far more than we know for the defense, while also constantly coming up with big plays.  7.9 million in cap savings is tough to ignore but I'd be nervous about a safety duo of Savage/unknown.  

Yeah that move makes zero sense to me. He's as much of a staple as Kenny Clark going forward.

2 hours ago, KFP7 said:

A few cap clearing approaches seem to be cutting/trading Amos.  I might be wrong here, but he seems to be one of those guys that does far more than we know for the defense, while also constantly coming up with big plays.  7.9 million in cap savings is tough to ignore but I'd be nervous about a safety duo of Savage/unknown.  

18 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah that move makes zero sense to me. He's as much of a staple as Kenny Clark going forward.

I don't think cutting/trading Amos is the best move, but if the plan is to go rebuild and Amos is not in the plans long term after his current deal runs out, getting the cap savings and possible draft pick is not a far fetched concept.  

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I don't think cutting/trading Amos is the best move, but if the plan is to go rebuild and Amos is not in the plans long term after his current deal runs out, getting the cap savings and possible draft pick is not a far fetched concept.  

that's fair, if we move on from Rodgers I can see cutting/trading Amos.  If we are cutting Amos to make room for Rodgers I'm not sure I see it.  What we really need is a year of injury luck like 2019.  If our luck from that year could have been moved to 2020 or 2021....super bowl.

6 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

that's fair, if we move on from Rodgers I can see cutting/trading Amos.  If we are cutting Amos to make room for Rodgers I'm not sure I see it.  What we really need is a year of injury luck like 2019.  If our luck from that year could have been moved to 2020 or 2021....super bowl.

We were ridiculously healthy for 2021 playoffs. Probably the most healthy team in the league.

We should expect we won't be as healthy for playoffs next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

We were ridiculously healthy for 2021 playoffs. Probably the most healthy team in the league.

You talking this years playoffs or last years? I agree it's rare to be as healthy as we were for the 20-21 season, as evidenced by...this year. We got guys back sure, but on a heavy pitch count and were without our two best OL, and our TE. 

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

the only caveat to this is if you think Z/JA/Mercilus weren't healthy

Bak wasn't healthy, and Tonyan wasn't healthy.  THose were really the only two missing important pieces

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You talking this years playoffs or last years? I agree it's rare to be as healthy as we were for the 20-21 season, as evidenced by...this year. We got guys back sure, but on a heavy pitch count and were without our two best OL, and our TE. 

This year. Missing only 3 preferred starters from beginning of season is exceptionally healthy.

Just now, incognito_man said:

This year. Missing only 3 preferred starters from beginning of season is exceptionally healthy.

Eh I disagree, just because we "activated" those guys doesn't really mean anything. Jaire barely played, Z only played on 3rd downs, Mercilus I barely saw. It was more a façade than anything. I'd say you can confidently expect to be in a similar boat each year to where we are this year....so long as the NFL keeps its IR rule and lets more than a couple guys come back.

13 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we were more ridiculously healthy for 2019 playoffs.  This year had a low overall number of players, but it seemed like they were all pro-bowl or all-pro players. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

we were more ridiculously healthy for 2019 playoffs.  This year had a low overall number of players, but it seemed like they were all pro-bowl or all-pro players. 

But regular season didn't matter. We still got #1 seed and those guys (mostly) back.

Just saying...VERY unlikely we'll be that healthy again.

15 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

But regular season didn't matter. We still got #1 seed and those guys (mostly) back.

Just saying...VERY unlikely we'll be that healthy again.

agreed, except for the o-line.  Bakh/Jenkins are big deals.  I think we win that last game if those two play and Z/Jaire don't.  But as you said, chances are we will have a lot more guys out next year. 

43 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Jaire played like 8 snaps.   not sure how that constitutes him being healthy