Clearing Cap Space ('22)

Les Punting

Now lets see what a "blow it up" situation might look like.  Idea is to go full reset and cut/trade as many assets that are not in the long term plan after the 2022/2023 season.  Certainly not all of these things would be needed or likely done, but I just don't see the benefit of trying to straddle a balance of moving on from Rodgers while retaining a few players for just the 2022 season.

The idea is to full reset the salary cap situation and move into a new chapter at QB post Rodgers, gain as much cap space as possible for 2023 and beyond.  Looking to trade as many assets as possible to add more draft picks to the stockpile as possible.  

blow it up cap space now (37 players) 40.1  
transactions cap saved cap cost balance
trade Rodgers 19.9   20.2
Cut Z Smith 15.28   4.92
Cut Cobb 6.85   1.93
cut Crosby 2.4   4.33
cut Preston Smith 12.5   16.83
Cut/trade Turner 4   20.83
Cut Lewis 2.4   23.23
Cut/trade Lowry 4   27.23
Cut/trade Amos 7.9   35.13
Extend Jaire 8   43.13

draft picks (9 picks)   9.5 33.63
ERFA (8 players)   5.6 28.03
RFA -- Lazard (2nd round )   3.9 24.13

Depth Chart -- obviously there are HUGE holes across several position groups.   WR, TE, EDGE, IDL, LB, safety

STARTER    
QB Aaron Rodgers Jordan Love  
RB Aaron Jones AJ Dillon Kylin Hill
FB Josiah Deguara    
WR Davante Adams    
WR Randall Cobb Malik Taylor  
WR Amari Rodgers    
TE Marcedes Lewis Dominque Dafney  
LT David Bahktiari Yosh Nijman  
LG Elgton Jenkins (22)    
C Josh Meyers    
RG Jon Runyan Royce Newman  
RT (Billy Turner ???)    

LDE (Dean Lowry ???) Chauncey Rivers  
NT Kenny Clark Tedarrel Slaton  
RDE   Jack Heflin  
WLB Rashan Gary (22) P Smith (22)  
LILB   Ty Summers  
RILB Krys Barnes Isaiah McDuffie  
SLB ZSmith (22) Jonathan Garvin Randy Ramsey
LCB Jaire Alexander    
SS Adrian Amos (22) Vernon Scott  
FS Darnell Savage (22) Henry Black  
RCB Eric Stokes    
Slot CB Shemar Jean-Charles    

PK Mason Crosby    

The end hope is that in trading as many assets as you can, you add draft picks and clear cap space

Draft capital 

• Rodgers nets a 2022 1st, 2022 2nd and 2023 1st
  • Adams nets a 2022 2nd and 2023 2nd (very well could be a 2022 1st if if is a late in the round ... LV???)
  • Amos a 4th??
  • Turner a 5th
  • Lowry a 5th/6th

Draft picks 2022 added 2023 trades
GB Original via trades  
1 Rodgers 1 Rodgers 1
2 Rodgers 2 Adams 2
3 Adams -2  
4 Amos -4  
4 (comp)    
5 Turner 5  
7 (Dal via Hou) Lowry 5/6  
7 (comp)    
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Looking at some options on how GB could play with the cap and salaries.  Certainly there are a lot of variations in any of the transactions with how an altered or new contract would be structured, how and where the money is put in signing bonus, roster bonus, etc and if voided years are involved.  

Lets start with a "run it back" type option.  Trying to get Rodgers and Adams back and retain as much of the upper tier talent as possible.  

run it back cap space now (37 players) 40.1  
extend Rodgers 15   25.1
Extend Jaire 8   17.1
Cut Z Smith 15.28   1.82
Cut Cobb 6.85   5.03
cut Crosby 2.4   7.43
cut Preston Smith 12.5   19.93

Restructure Clark 9.5   29.43
Extension Amos 5.1   34.53

Resign Adams   10 24.53
draft picks (9 picks)   9.5 15.03
ERFA (8 players)   5.6 9.43
RFA -- Lazard (2nd round )   3.9 5.53

Extra options to create more cap space

restructure Bahktiari 8.1    
restructure Turner 3.5    
restructure lowry 3.3    
Cut Lewis                    2.4    
Cut/trade Lowry 4    
Cut/trade Turner 4    

Depth chart -- Pretty big holes at EDGE, IDL, ILB and less so at WR

STARTER    
  FB Josiah Deguara    
  WR Davante Adams    
  WR Amari Rodgers    
  TE (Marcedes Lewis ???) Dominque Dafney  
  LG Elgton Jenkins (22)    
  C Josh Meyers    
  RT (Billy Turner ???)    

RDE   Jack Heflin  
  LILB   Ty Summers  
  LCB Jaire Alexander    
  RCB Eric Stokes    

PK Mason Crosby    

You might be able to keep one Smith if you cut Turner saving $4 million and restructure/extend Preston.  This is more feasible if you think Bakhtiari is coming back 100% and so is Jenkins.  The draft will probably supply one offensive lineman in the 4th or 5th round.

Just now, minnypackerfan said:

You might be able to keep one Smith if you cut Turner saving $4 million and restructure/extend Preston.  This is more feasible if you think Bakhtiari is coming back 100% and so is Jenkins.  The draft will probably supply one offensive lineman in the 4th or 5th round.

yeah, I was not necessarily saying what should or what I would like to happen, but putting out there how you can work the cap and move things around and where it creates holes.  

Jenkins is going to be hard pressed to be back by the start of 2022 given how long it took Bahktiari to return (yes I am going reverse psychology on this in hopes it is wrong).

5 hours ago, squire12 said:

GB is $40M over ( approximately)

Cut Z Smith 15.28
Cut Cobb 6.85
cut Crosby 2.4
Cut Lewis 2.4

extend Rodgers 19.6
extend Jaire 7
extend Amos 5
restructure Clark 8

total saved 66.53

Resign Adams 12

GB would be left with around $26M and Adams drops that to $14M

It get tight with draft picks and filling out the roster.  

Yea, idk if GB would run things that tight against the cap. I think filling the roster spots to get up to 51 will probably take like $0.7m a pop. Which could add up to like a $12m cap hit, given all the empty spots. Then tack on a $2.5m adder for draft picks.

and we’d have $0 left for margin for any in-season roster management, or to bring back FA’s. It wouldn’t really be “running it back” w/o Campbell and Douglas and , to a lesser extent, MVS. Alot of depth pieces (OL & DB’s) are also FA’s, though I guess we can hope GB can unearth some more hidden gems there.

I guess it depends what kind of magic they can do with “void” years. I still don’t fully understand how that trick works, or its limits. 

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:It wouldn’t really be “running it back” w/o Campbell and Douglas and , to a lesser extent, MVS. Alot of depth pieces (OL & DB’s) are also FA’s, though I guess we can hope GB can unearth some more hidden gems there.. 

Yea Campbell was such a huge part of this defense. Would be nice to figure out brining him back somehow but I can’t see it happening, especially if we want to try to keep one of the Smiths.

I do have faith in the front office’s draft-savvy to find some solid players to fill the gaps. Also wouldn’t be surprised to see them hit on another bargain FA or two when filling out the roster

6 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

Yea, idk if GB would run things that tight against the cap. I think filling the roster spots to get up to 51 will probably take like $0.7m a pop. Which could add up to like a $12m cap hit, given all the empty spots. Then tack on a $2.5m adder for draft picks.

and we’d have $0 left for margin for any in-season roster management, or to bring back FA’s. It wouldn’t really be “running it back” w/o Campbell and Douglas and , to a lesser extent, MVS. Alot of depth pieces (OL & DB’s) are also FA’s, though I guess we can hope GB can unearth some more hidden gems there.

I guess it depends what kind of magic they can do with “void” years. I still don’t fully understand how that trick works, or its limits. 

Agreed.  It was just a way to show how fitting Rodgers and Adams could happen

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

yeah, I was not necessarily saying what should or what I would like to happen, but putting out there how you can work the cap and move things around and where it creates holes.  

Jenkins is going to be hard pressed to be back by the start of 2022 given how long it took Bahktiari to return (yes I am going reverse psychology on this in hopes it is wrong).

I appreciate your work on this....helps inform me of the possibilities.

On 1/1/2022 at 7:43 AM, mikemike778 said:

Sensible to cross Z off the list - you can't give a significant 3rd contract to a guy coming off a major back injury. Maybe he signs a prove-it deal but he isn't getting a lot of new money.

If we could keep 2/3  then its about as clear cut as it gets Rodgers and Adams are back next year and Preston is elsewhere.  Think we will keep Rodgers or Adams though - both seems unfeasible. Preston will depend on how team friendly a deal you can strike.

It will be interesting to see what interest Z will draw from other teams after back surgery this past season.  Is there a chance he could return for a lot less than what he got before?

A few cap clearing approaches seem to be cutting/trading Amos.  I might be wrong here, but he seems to be one of those guys that does far more than we know for the defense, while also constantly coming up with big plays.  7.9 million in cap savings is tough to ignore but I'd be nervous about a safety duo of Savage/unknown.  

15 hours ago, squire12 said:

Now lets see what a "blow it up" situation might look like.  Idea is to go full reset and cut/trade as many assets that are not in the long term plan after the 2022/2023 season.  Certainly not all of these things would be needed or likely done, but I just don't see the benefit of trying to straddle a balance of moving on from Rodgers while retaining a few players for just the 2022 season.

The idea is to full reset the salary cap situation and move into a new chapter at QB post Rodgers, gain as much cap space as possible for 2023 and beyond.  Looking to trade as many assets as possible to add more draft picks to the stockpile as possible.  

blow it up cap space now (37 players) 40.1  
trade Rodgers 19.9   20.2
Cut Z Smith 15.28   4.92
Cut Cobb 6.85   1.93
cut Crosby 2.4   4.33
cut Preston Smith 12.5   16.83
Cut/trade Turner 4   20.83
Cut Lewis 2.4   23.23
Cut/trade Lowry 4   27.23
Cut/trade Amos 7.9   35.13
Extend Jaire 8   43.13

draft picks (9 picks)   9.5 33.63
ERFA (8 players)   5.6 28.03
RFA -- Lazard (2nd round )   3.9 24.13

Depth Chart -- obviously there are HUGE holes across several position groups.   WR, TE, EDGE, IDL, LB, safety

STARTER    
FB Josiah Deguara    
WR Davante Adams    
WR Amari Rodgers    
TE Marcedes Lewis Dominque Dafney  
LG Elgton Jenkins (22)    
C Josh Meyers    
RT (Billy Turner ???)    

RDE   Jack Heflin  
LILB   Ty Summers  
LCB Jaire Alexander    
RCB Eric Stokes    

PK Mason Crosby    

The end hope is that in trading as many assets as you can, you add draft picks and clear cap space

Draft capital 

• Rodgers nets a 2022 1st, 2022 2nd and 2023 1st
  • Adams nets a 2022 2nd and 2023 2nd (very well could be a 2022 1st if if is a late in the round ... LV???)
  • Amos a 4th??
  • Turner a 5th
  • Lowry a 5th/6th

Draft picks 2022 added 2023 trades
GB Original via trades  
1 Rodgers 1 Rodgers 1
2 Rodgers 2 Adams 2
3 Adams -2  
4 Amos -4  
4 (comp)    
5 Turner 5  
7 (Dal via Hou) Lowry 5/6  
7 (comp)    

What's the estimated projection on this for 2023 cap space ? Has to be over 70m doesn't it? 

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just a small note, the draft picks should cost ~$3.2M in more money.  Not the $9M+ you have them listed at.

that is when you are pushing a player off the top 51.   GB has 37 players signed, so every draft pick will count in the top 51

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What's the estimated projection on this for 2023 cap space ? Has to be over 70m doesn't it? 

I didn't look into that at all.   Over the cap has GB at $118M in cap space for 2023 based on a projected $225M in cap space (without rollover)

• Like 1