Clearing Cap Space ('22)

Les Punting

5 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Maybe you guys can help me?  If just if the Packers need to clear space, if they traded David Bakhtiari, how much of his cap hit would stay on the Packers?

His current cap hit is $22.8M.  If they trade him, his dead cap is $26.3M.  They're not trading him.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 3:45 PM, Les Punting said:

With the inevitable reorganization of the roster in '22, it might be useful to explicitly identify the full universe of realistic cap-clearing moves. Estimating GB's maximum achievable cap space (MACS) will make clear what is and isn't possible in terms of '22 roster construction.

Cap relief in '22 depends almost entirely on a dozen premium contracts, adjustments to which generate the following approximate savings: 

22cs.jpg

(*Savings through extension are rough estimates)

If there are other notable moves that have been overlooked, or if the projected savings are inaccurate, please append. 

By most estimates, GB stands approximately $55m over the '22 cap. As can be seen, they're capable of clearing considerably more than that number. The obvious restructures (DB, Clark, Jones) clear $16m. All the potential extensions clear $40m. A few cuts (e.g. Cobb, ZSmith, Lowry, Crosby) clear $30m.

As an example, all the bolded moves above would leave GB more than $30m under the cap, with Rodgers still under center. That seems sufficient to re-up Adams (assuming a reasonable '22 cap figure) and several of their own free agents, pay their RFA's and fill out the rest of the roster. 

When viewed through the lens of achievable cap space, GB's '22 situation seems fine. If they can ink Rodgers to a cap-friendly number, they will, with a few exceptions, be able to mostly "run back" the '21 team if they so choose.

Reupping

The first 4 moves I expect to see are as follows:

Release Z Smith and P Smith

Restructure Clark

Extend Alexander.

Those 4 moves get us under the cap by the start of the league year

Depending on the confidence of Bahktiari’s knee, they could also restructure his deal.

Other cuts could be Cobb/Lewis/Lowry/Turner but those wouldn’t be the priority I’d say

If we resign Aaron and Davante, who does it likely mean we’d have to let go? Both Smiths and ? 

It’s a real interesting decision.

Do you roll the dice and see if we can win with Aaron/Davante but with a lesser team around them

or

Do you roll the dice with Love, keep more pieces and have a ton more draft capital?

27 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

If we resign Aaron and Davante, who does it likely mean we’d have to let go? Both Smiths and ? 

It’s a real interesting decision.

Do you roll the dice and see if we can win with Aaron/Davante but with a lesser team around them

or

Do you roll the dice with Love, keep more pieces and have a ton more draft capital?

I'm more inclined to only keep 1 of Rodgers or Adams.  

Both together just lead to a singular flow on offense that just got shut down 

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I'm more inclined to only keep 1 of Rodgers or Adams.  

Both together just lead to a singular flow on offense that just got shut down 

I think there’s little to no chance Aaron comes back without Davante.

I wouldn’t mind tagging Davante for a year to give Jordan the best opportunity to succeed. 

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Very possible for sure

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I wouldn’t mind tagging Davante for a year to give Jordan the best opportunity to succeed. 

Just worried Love would work through reads vs lock on Adams 

On 1/23/2022 at 6:17 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

I agree. But I also don't want that Aaron. He goes into 'lazy' mode where he just targets Davante and nobody else. I get it because Davante is a super star but good defensive teams will find a way to shut Davante down in the playoffs and Aaron seems to continue to still target him and miss other open players on the field.

Personally, I am just hoping that Aaron does NOT retire and we move him for some assets. I think the team loses a few core and depth pieces this off-season and is not going to be the same anyway. Build around the likes of Clark, Gary, Alexander, Stokes. Give Jordan a year as starter to see what he can do in a rebuild year. He won't have Rodgers looking down his shoulder and no pressure of being in win-now team.

On 1/23/2022 at 6:17 AM, Rainmaker90 said:

If Aaron leaves, I think the only way Adams stays is being tagged.  Why would he stay through the Love growing era when he can go to an established QB, probably get paid more and be in sunshine.  

Heck, he might take less to play with Herbert and his buddy Keenan Allen in LA.

Edited by NFLGURU

So according to Ken Ingalls we need to make around 71M in order to have enough space for picks, PS and have some in-season money without signing anyone except for ERFAs:

The space we can make with cuts/trades/restructures:

Cut/trade:

-Rodgers: -19.95

-Z Smith: -15.28

-Cobb: -6.86

-Crosby: -2.40

-Lewis: -2.45

Restructure:

-Bakhtiari: -8.19

-Clark: -9.54

-Jones: -2.88

That's 67.55M of cap space created. Then you can:

-Cut Preston Smith: 12.5M

-Extend Preston Smith: 6M aprox

-Extend Jaire: 7M aprox

-Cut Dean Lowry: 3.93M

I don't think we are cutting Billy Turner or Adrian Amos. Maybe we can extend Amos. I'd offer a 4Y/20M deal to Douglas and see if he bites. He could have a 2M cap hit, which is pretty affordable. It doesn't make sense to extend Elgton capwise as well.

• Like 1