Clearing Cap Space ('22)

Les Punting

4 hours ago, StartBarr said:

Anyone else get sad thinking about the fact that we hardly got to see this defense play with all the pieces healthy this year?

And now we are gonna lose so many key pieces due to the cap…one or both Smiths, DeVondre, Rasul Douglas…woulda been nice to see them on the field together a lot more. That defense had Top 5 potential with a healthy Jaire & ZaDarius 😢

Yeah not going to lie. I shedded a little water from my eyes.

8 hours ago, StartBarr said:

Anyone else get sad thinking about the fact that we hardly got to see this defense play with all the pieces healthy this year?

And now we are gonna lose so many key pieces due to the cap…one or both Smiths, DeVondre, Rasul Douglas…woulda been nice to see them on the field together a lot more. That defense had Top 5 potential with a healthy Jaire & ZaDarius 😢

Run it back

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gravedigger93 said:

If 3 mediocre 1st round picks is all what we'd get out of Adams AND Rodgers, I'm joining the Fire Gute Bandwagon (which I'm absolutely not on right now). That would be just terrible when you look at the value. Plus, they still would be in the NFC.

I'll drive Rodgers and Adams to the airport myself for the 15, 16 and 19 pick. Gute has hit on every 1st rd pick(jury still out on Love). This would be the perfect scenario 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

If Rodgers offers to stay for a very reasonable, maybe even well below market deal, do we welcome him back with open arms?

Definitely. He gives them the best chance to get a high seed in the tournament. Then you hope he snaps out of his playoff tendency to be passive.

But if he insists on being paid as the highest or near highest QB, it's sayonara. If he does insist on that, it's the equivalent of saying he wants to be traded. That's based on everyone's clear knowledge of what it means for the rest of the roster and his open declaration that he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild. If Rodgers wants $50 million, then the rest of the roster would be in a rebuild.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

100%.

I keep/build this defense and re-tool the passing game.

Yea that’s what I’ve been thinking as of late also. If allowing Rodgers & Davante to move on means we can figure out how to keep this defense largely as-is with some cap maneuvering, I’m all for it.

But if we trade Rodgers aren’t we still on the hook for a large % of his salary? So I think extending him is probably Green Bay’s best bet if he allows them to structure the first few years in a team-friendly way, right?

Also - I don’t see us keeping ZaDarius Smith regardless, just with the way his deal is set up & the back/health concerns… would be nice to keep him somehow. Major restructure could do it but I don’t know if he’s gonna be willing to take a massive pay cut. Loved the fact that he sacked Jimmy G on his first snap back. I jumped off the couch and went completely nuts.

Edited by StartBarr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, StartBarr said:

Yea that’s what I’ve been thinking as of late also. If allowing Rodgers & Davante to move on means we can figure out how to keep this defense largely as-is with some cap maneuvering, I’m all for it.

But if we trade Rodgers aren’t we still on the hook for a large % of his salary? So I think extending him is probably Green Bay’s best bet if he allows them to structure the first few years in a team-friendly way, right?

Us being on the hook for 20-25m of his salary adds value to whatever team he's traded to. Even if he wanted to come back at a team friendly discount, I believe the right move is to trade him while we can still get a decent haul. If Eagles offer us their 3 1sts this year or Broncos offer us 9, a 1st next year and either Jeudy/Fant, we have to jump on the opportunity. Gute has shown he's one of, if not the best drafting GMs in the league. Load up on assets, see what we got in Love. If he's the guy, great. If he's not, draft one of the QBs high in the 2023 draft with a ton of young talent and cap space.

If we couldn't get it done with Rodgers with the 2020 and 2021 rosters, we're not gonna get it done with him with a gutted roster.

Edited by NavyGuy
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

Rodgers, Adams, and a Smith?  Unless everyone restructures very generously, how on earth is that possible?

GB is $40M over ( approximately)

Cut Z Smith 15.28
Cut Cobb 6.85
cut Crosby 2.4
Cut Lewis 2.4

extend Rodgers 19.6
extend Jaire 7
extend Amos 5
restructure Clark 8

total saved 66.53

Resign Adams 12

GB would be left with around $26M and Adams drops that to $14M

It get tight with draft picks and filling out the roster.  

Looking at some options on how GB could play with the cap and salaries.  Certainly there are a lot of variations in any of the transactions with how an altered or new contract would be structured, how and where the money is put in signing bonus, roster bonus, etc and if voided years are involved.  

Lets start with a "run it back" type option.  Trying to get Rodgers and Adams back and retain as much of the upper tier talent as possible.  

run it back cap space now (37 players) 40.1  
transactions cap saved cap cost balance
extend Rodgers 15   25.1
Extend Jaire 8   17.1
Cut Z Smith 15.28   1.82
Cut Cobb 6.85   5.03
cut Crosby 2.4   7.43
cut Preston Smith 12.5   19.93

Restructure Clark 9.5   29.43
Extension Amos 5.1   34.53

Resign Adams   10 24.53
draft picks (9 picks)   9.5 15.03