BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

58 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

So I'm curious to hear people's opinions on how much weight we put into how we structure our teams in BDL vs real life. For example, it's been called out that we've leveraged Trevon Diggs as our other safety opposite Dugger due to injuries wiping out the rest of our safeties (3 on IR, with another out with injury lately). In reality he's still a corner on the Cowboys, but in BDL he would have been practicing and playing at safety for 2 weeks now, potentially 3 this coming weekend. Would he still be viewed as much of a duck out of water, or would it make some sense that he's had 'practice time' and 'playing time' at the position?

For me, it depends on what that specific player is being asked to do.  I can buy Diggs sitting in a deep middle zone in Cover 1 or Cover 3, reading the QB, and reacting.  I can buy Diggs playing deep half in Cover 2.  I have issues buying him playing up in the box covering a TE in man coverage.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

It also kinda depends on the defense you're running.  If you're assigning him to just cover a TE and not do safety things, that is obviously less disadvantagous to him than having him do other safety tasks 

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

For me, it depends on what that specific player is being asked to do.  I can buy Diggs sitting in a deep middle zone in Cover 1 or Cover 3, reading the QB, and reacting.  I can buy Diggs playing deep half in Cover 2.  I have issues buying him playing up in the box covering a TE in man coverage.

See, this is why I love this league.

• Like 1

Those of you who participate in other parts of the forum just  a heads up we're likely looking at needing two new owners so feel free to ask around and feel out some interest. I realized I don't do anything on this site but this forum, so my reach is limited I guess.  RT doesn't have the time and Laojoe seems to have some conflicting things as well. WW has been removed from the league as an owner as well. 

Luckily those are two very good rosters. Offseason is a great time to get people acclimated to the rosters, the moves needed and such. 

For me it's player based. Diggs goes on first moves so playing in a zone would be bad for him, in my opinion.  He's on the taller side for a corner and has the speed of to catch up to the any TE moves and obviously has ball skills which would make him successful there imo.  He'd be dreadful as a box tackler though 

22 minutes ago, Blue said:

Voting system DOES account for that. If you think it doesn't, your problem is with the voters, not the system. Case in point:

The voters are the system.

like I said, I’m down to play with  whatever, I can appreciate either for their pros and cons. Nothing will ever be perfect. That was just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jlash said:

Those of you who participate in other parts of the forum just  a heads up we're likely looking at needing two new owners so feel free to ask around and feel out some interest. I realized I don't do anything on this site but this forum, so my reach is limited I guess.  RT doesn't have the time and Laojoe seems to have some conflicting things as well. WW has been removed from the league as an owner as well. 

Luckily those are two very good rosters. Offseason is a great time to get people acclimated to the rosters, the moves needed and such. 

You're going to end up getting three owners easier if you SIM it, just saying. It's hard to get people to commit to this at this point, and those that do end up hating the writing contingent. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PR said:

You're going to end up getting three owners easier if you SIM it, just saying. It's hard to get people to commit to this at this point, and those that do end up hating the writing contingent. 

We'll get 3 owners easier and lose probably 4-5 more who don't want to sim. 

5 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Nacho has a sim league I’m in already. Mike is working on a sim keeper thing. If BDL goes to SIM I’ll also walk away. I don’t want to be part of three Sims.

I think a sim would reduce the amount of time bdl asks of its members but doing so would change the base structure of what makes it unique and that's a big ask.

I can't see there being enough votes to push changing it, while I'd love to see the workload reduced a sim isn't an option.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I think a sim would reduce the amount of time bdl asks of its members but doing so would change the base structure of what makes it unique and that's a big ask.

I can't see there being enough votes to push changing it, while I'd love to see the workload reduced a sim isn't an option.

The only real option to cut workload is to cut the number of gameplans.  Right now, its 12 weeks of gameplanning.  Which isn't that much.

I think cutting out the infighting on the back end and working on providing constructive criticism will make everything more enjoyable.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

The only real option to cut workload is to cut the number of gameplans.  Right now, its 12 weeks of gameplanning.  Which isn't that much.

Call me lazy...lol.

I think cutting out the infighting on the back end and working on providing constructive criticism will make everything more enjoyable.  

Can't argue with that.  

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

Call me lazy...lol.

Can't argue with that.  

No one can love excel as much as you and be lazy.  I've also been doing this for over a decade and have a system in place, so game plans typically don't take me very long.  Especially after the 3rd week or so when I know the offensive and defensive schemes I'm gonna run that year.

• Like 1

To me there is already a sim league here on the site, I tried it and didn't like it. Felt like I didn't have as much control as when I wrote my gameplans. When I was losing in the sim I just felt like there was little I did to lead to that outcome or to change it. I like having to think and work at it to try to put my players in the best possible positions. 

I also agree that there should likely be less fighting about votes going forward now which means people will feel more free to actually share their thoughts and opinions. I appreciate when people leave actual feedback about their votes because it allows me to try to adjust as needed. I think many of us, myself included, have been hesitant to share our thoughts on some matchups this year and perhaps the last couple of years. I think if we can have more feedback and discussion as a part of this league, it will help build ourselves up as a BDL community.

• Like 3

No one can love excel as much as you and be lazy.

Yes and no.  I don't mind putting the hours in excel if it allows me to automate it so that I can throw my feet up later.

I've also been doing this for over a decade and have a system in place, so game plans typically don't take me very long.  Especially after the 3rd week or so when I know the offensive and defensive schemes I'm gonna run that year.

You should create a, "how to guide" to help the newer members out.  I know I could definitely benefit from it.  I enjoy creative writing and all of that but after doing it for a bit I get burnt out.  However, I'm not in the best of health.

I'm also one of those people that is constantly looking for ways to make improvements and to create things to increase retention and to bring new members to the forum.  One of the reasons, I'm looking to add another mock draft to the forum using this "sim" I've created.  I'm interested in seeing how it'll work out and if I can keep it up to be honest.  My standard mock draft keeps me pretty busy as is. 

4 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Yes and no.  I don't mind putting the hours in excel if it allows me to automate it so that I can throw my feet up later.

You should create a, "how to guide" to help the newer members out.  I know I could definitely benefit from it.  I enjoy creative writing and all of that but after doing it for a bit I get burnt out.  However, I'm not in the best of health.

I'm also one of those people that is constantly looking for ways to make improvements and to create things to increase retention and to bring new members to the forum.  One of the reasons, I'm looking to add another mock draft to the forum using this "sim" I've created.  I'm interested in seeing how it'll work out and if I can keep it up to be honest.  My standard mock draft keeps me pretty busy as is. 

I'd be happy to go over how I approach gameplanning.  I treat it like a chess match which I enjoy