BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Not being able to trade 5th year extension players because they were "just signed" is really annoying. So you protect them for 1 year bc you need to keep your players because of roster limitations, but then you can't trade the guys in the middle of the next season, and maybe you can't afford any because you can't 3-up them and can only 3-up and over once per offseason. Can't rebuild either with draft picks because they can't be traded. Forced to cut or not resign anyone of value because they cost too much and get no compensation and get no picks to rebuild. The system is broken. And I'm leaving so this isn't even whining. It's like finishing mid-table in the NBA every year.

Edited by LAOJoe

1 hour ago, Blue said:

I was against allowing 3 Up and Over in the first place. That said, the point of 3 Ups is to ensure that free agency is meaningful and teams couldn't just resign all their players. It also forces teams to pay their cheap rookie talent for at least a year before trading them, so they can't just (effectively) tag and trade them after getting the full benefit of 4-5 years of cheap high-level talent.

It's bad enough certain teams have 3-4 top 16 picks every year in BDL as it is, it would be even worse if we allowed unlimited 3 Up and Overs. This system forces people to trade their young talent they can't/won't keep while they're still cheap, even if it's just for a season or even half a season.

It’s not unlimited. It is already limited by 3 because it counts against your 3up. Also each 3up and over counts for both the giving and receiving team, so with each one, another player enters the free agent pool. 

From still sort of an outside perspective because I’m still new, it seems overly restrictive. 

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It’s not unlimited. It is already limited by 3 because it counts against your 3up.

Poor choice of words by my part, meant unlimited in terms of how many of the 3 Ups you could use it for. Only having 3 of those is in the name so I didn't think to specify.

Special New Year's Announcement:

The Louisiana Superdome is going to be hosting BDL football again as one of the league's most storied franchises, the New Orleans Jazz, returns.

I'm back as GM but at some point a co-owner will need to be arranged to help out during the season. 

Let's get it. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, LAOJoe said:

Not being able to trade 5th year extension players because they were "just signed" is really annoying. So you protect them for 1 year bc you need to keep your players because of roster limitations, but then you can't trade the guys in the middle of the next season, and maybe you can't afford any because you can't 3-up them and can only 3-up and over once per offseason. Can't rebuild either with draft picks because they can't be traded. Forced to cut or not resign anyone of value because they cost too much and get no compensation and get no picks to rebuild. The system is broken. And I'm leaving so this isn't even whining. It's like finishing mid-table in the NBA every year.

The 5th year option was a compromise to let people keep control over those players for an extra year. Previously, you either had to negotiate with the contract committee (lol) or try to sign them in free agency if they hadn't signed a long-term deal yet.

27 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Special New Year's Announcement:

The Louisiana Superdome is going to be hosting BDL football again as one of the league's most storied franchises, the New Orleans Jazz, returns.

I'm back as GM but at some point a co-owner will need to be arranged to help out during the season. 

Let's get it. 

Are you taking back Flint or another team. Good to know LMAO.