BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

Just now, rackcs said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a team try out Hill at outside corner too, I think there's enough to work with that it's a possibility for him.

Oh, I love him as a prospect.  Incredibly athletic.  I think if Michigan had put him at one place, he'd be projected higher.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

@RedGold, you did btw.  Daxton was the guy I was going to reach for at 16 as a NB/FS.

I am quite happy to land Garrett instead though.

Lmao.  I’m not thinking you’re too upset about landing Wilson.   I really liked Wilson also.

I struggled reading Hill’s stock,  he’s all over the map.  I liked him too much to risk dropping. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RedGold said:

Lmao.  I’m not thinking you’re too upset about landing Wilson.   I really liked Wilson also.

I struggled reading Hill’s stock,  he’s all over the map.  I liked him too much to risk dropping. 

Nah, you’re bang on. He was likely always going 1st round here and I’m guessing between 20-30 in the real deal. Too intelligent, very versatile and athletic.

1.1 -   Cancun:  Kayvon Thibodeaux / Edge / Oregon

Not going to spend much time talking about my own pick. Thibodeaux is an absolute monster with game-wrecking ability and the versatility to play in an odd front if needed. Only thing that is going to hold him back in the NFL is health. If he's not Myles Garrett, he's right below him as a 10-sack a year kinda guy.

1.2 - Anchorage: Aidan Hutchinson / Edge / Michigan

I really like Hutch personally. He seems like an awesome dude and I'm rooting for him to be successful. But when watching him, the short arms stand out. Georgia took his lunch and whooped his *** in the CFP semifinals. I think he's a high-floor player but I think he tops out as a complementary edge rusher. I would take him in the 20s and I think he's a reach in the top 10, especially given the depth of this Edge class.

1.3 - Gotham:  Ahmad Gardner / CB / Cincinnati

Gardner is an excellent corner, not much else to say. He needs to put on some weight to hold up against bigger receivers in the pros but this was a great pick, if not the one I would have made here.

1.4 - Antarctica: Travon Walker / Edge / Georgia

Walker has length, strength, and athleticism. We all wish he could have gotten more playing time at Georgia, because it's hard to project him in a full-time role and I think he doesn't have a lot in his toolbox right now as far as beating his man to the ball carrier if he doesn't win immediately with his athletic talent. He's my 14th ranked player overall but Edge2 and we would have taken him at 2 if Anchorage had traded up for Thibodeaux.

1.5 - Rome:  Kyle Hamilton / S / Notre Dame

Hamilton is an ideal strong safety who can take the tight end out of the game in coverage while still providing strong run defense. He was 3rd overall on my board, and while the 40 time isn't ideal, I hope no one was thinking he was a Cover 1 guy or a slot defender to begin with. I don't think he made much sense for Rome, who has bigger needs on the offensive line, but drafting talent first and filling needs later is a philosophy I can't argue with.

1.6 - Anchorage: Jordan Davis / INT / Georgia

Davis screams Vita Vea to me, with similar concerns to Travon Walker as far as limited playing time and not seeing what he can do over a full game. We've seen plenty of big men struggle to make an impact in the NFL because they lack endurance, but I absolutely would have taken the risk with Davis. We had a deal in place with MD4L to get him if he dropped past Anchorage. No. 4 player on my board.

1.7 - Anchorage: Derek Stingley Jr / CB / LSU

Stingley absolutely looks the part of a man cover corner...if you watch him from 2019. I've never been a fan of taking players who spent more time in the training room than on the field. That said, he's still a top-25 prospect on my board and one of the top corners in what I think is a pretty shallow corner class, at least if you're looking for a No. 1. Gotta hope he can stay healthier in the NFL than he did at LSU.

1.8 - Lancaster: Evan Neal / OT / Alabama 

Neal was the No. 2 prospect on my board and, every time I've seen him, has been nearly flawless. Such an easy projection to the pros and I think he's a worthy No. 1 overall pick type of talent. Alabama guys do tend to enter the league beat up and I don't know much about his personality, but in terms of ability he should have gone earlier than this.

1.9 - Anchorage: Ikem Ekwonu / OT / NC State 

Ekwonu is a guy I lamented to Mwil that we weren't going to be able to draft once I heard him interview. Such a smart guy with a great personality and head on his shoulders. I have no doubt he'll be a good left tackle, but I would start him at left guard as a rookie and slide him over to tackle after a year or two once he's developed better pass blocking technique. No. 12 on my board.

1.10 - Berlin:  Drake London / WR / USC

Yikes. Look, there's stuff to like about London. He's got a big frame and does a great job at coming down with contested balls, and I felt bad for him that he had Kedon Slovis at quarterback. But the red flags really pile up: he only really produced for one season. He didn't even finish that whole season because of an ankle injury, and then he tweaked a hamstring, so now you worry about his ability to stay healthy. You already had worries about his speed, how is the ankle injury going to affect that and is he going to stay healthy when his game is based on winning against contact? Then he never worked out before the draft, and there's a long and ugly history of guys who didn't work out prior to the draft not panning out (except for the Steelers!). I felt his route tree is pretty limited and had some drop issues. I have him right outside the top-50 players and WR10, which may speak more to the strength of this receiver class and my personal preferences at receiver.

1.11 - Raleigh: Jermaine Johnson / Edge / Florida State

Love Johnson's athletic ability, love his motor, feel like he needs a lot of refinement as a football player. The JUCO element scares me a little there, you worry that he's going to be a Takkarist McKinley type who never quite lives up to expectations. I'd love to see him in a 3-4 as a stand-up rusher, I think that's his best spot. No. 19 on my board.

1.12 - Seoul:  Trent McDuffie / CB / Washington

Gonna be honest, McDuffie was off my board due to a lack of length and small hands, which limits him to a zone scheme and possibly to the slot specifically in my mind. That said, he's going to go high in the real draft and it's entirely a preference thing with me, doesn't make this a bad pick.

1.13 - Camden: Treylon Burks / WR / Arkansas

I got to see Burks play live this season against Alabama and he utterly dominated (admittedly, a bad secondary this year). Guys that big aren't supposed to be deep threats like he is. No. 6 player on my board and WR1 by a double-digit margin. Total value pick by Camden, who has a disgustingly good track record at receiver.

1.14 - Rome: George Karlaftis / Edge - Purdue

Karlaftis struck me as a Brandon Graham type watching him. I don't think he has big sack numbers, but he'll generate a lot of pressure and be a plus in the locker room. I put him at 24, pretty much the same range as Hutchinson.

1.15 - Seoul: Daxton Hill / S / Michigan 

I don't love Daxton Hill as a prospect. He is not a top-3 safety on my board and comes in just inside the top-40 overall. He was essentially a slot corner for Michigan, but I see some hip tightness that will make it difficult for him to play the same role in the NFL against actual receivers. I think there's a lot of value here matching him up against the tight end or running back with his size and physicality, and I think he could be a competent traditional free safety in a Cover-1 system despite not really seeing him play there at Michigan. He's a bit of a projection as a safety in my book, so that's partly why I'm not high on this pick.

1.16 - Berlin: Garrett Wilson / WR / Ohio State

I have Wilson as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick IRL on my board, but that's a lot higher than Drake London. In my opinion, what both Wilson and London do really well, which Berlin's current receivers struggle with, is high-pointing the ball, which I'm sure Berlin's rookie QB will appreciate. Wilson is more of a technician than most of the other receivers in the class and I tend to value those guys less than the athletic or flashy receivers, so he could really outplay my expectations and I expect he produces as a rookie. The question is his ceiling, which I think is relatively low.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

Man, Mwil was getting excited at the prospect of Booth falling to us. Surprised Whicker is going CB back to back with the players he already has.

From what I remember, whicker has always been a pretty BPA and figure it out later kind of guy 

Definitely following in pheltz's footsteps in that sense too

Edited by rackcs
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Blue said:

Man, Mwil was getting excited at the prospect of Booth falling to us. Surprised Whicker is going CB back to back with the players he already has.

Yeah I had him as my dude at 2.4. Good pick Whicker…I wasn’t expecting that.

• Like 2