(Discussion) Designing The 2022 and Beyond Leadership & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Exactly. I think Pederson could do well with an established vet like Cousins, but if the plan is to trade Cousins and draft a young QB then Pederson would be off my radar. 

Exactly. The only way I really wanted Pederson is if he sticks with Cousins. Idc either way if he wants to try and find a rookie also. Honestly if we do go with Cousins I want an extension, and ride the ship down with him. If it doesn't work, we have our full rebuild coming in 3 years anyway.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I just don’t see where the team is “loaded”. 

Weve got great skill position players, a young OL and a fringe top 10 QB. On defense, it’s a different story. We have maybe two starters going forward that we can have any confidence in. The rest are free agents or have some injury concerns. In terms of depth, not confident there’s much of that, especially on defense, it’s abysmal. 

So looking at talent that we can be confident in... Cousins (maybe), Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, Osborn, Darrisaw, Cleveland, O’Neill, Kendricks, Smith. It’s honestly a short list at this point and probably near middle of the pack in terms of long term core players. 

I tend to believe the offense is set and strong at 10 of 11 positions.   As we all know, RG was a problem this year; however, Cole could return, Davis could be ready and Udoh could improve.   It think between Cole and Bradbury, C is locked down.   The RB room is stocked.   The TE room is foggy, but if Smith and Conklin both are full go, I like the tandem.   The WR room ? . . . Make Adam #3 and promote Osborn?   Draft a new RZ target in Rd 3?   

Defensively, I have to agree the cupboard's a bit bare.   I think there were too many opinions, chiefs in the kitchen this year.   It was a bad recipe that started with great ingredients.    If Hunter's chasing money, let him go.   If he's been pushing for a coaching change by finding ways not to play, let him go.   We all see how young D-Lines grow similarly to O-Lines.   I think thos one is very close, and replacing a coach or two can put these guys into lore-land.   The LBs . . . . Hmmmmph.  Barr needs to go, I think.   And, they need a nut bag psychopath back there . . . Ray Lewis/Mike Singletary/Derrick Brooks type.  

Safeties are good.    CBs need all the help they can get.    Whiffing on Gladney and Hughes set that unit back 3 years.   The only way to respectability is burn more high draft picks until we get an All-Pro.

At the NFL coaching carousel prepares to start spinning, Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh may end up taking a spin.

Via SI.com, Harbaugh reportedly told the father of a Michigan recruit that he will indeed consider NFL opportunities.

“He said that he’ll entertain it,” Larry Clemons, the father of Darrius Clemons, told 247sports.com. “He was up front with us about that. I had Coach Harbaugh speak to my pastor. They had a good conversation. Our pastor asked him about that, and that’s just that’s the [reply] that he gave him.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/08/jim-harbaugh-reportedly-told-recruit-hell-entertain-nfl-opportunities/

Amazing how a GM who has been apart of multiple coaching regimes, little playoff success, and has never really found that franchise QB continues to keep his job. Unless there is a plan for Spielman to be back in a different capacity, just don’t see how MN actually builds a team that can be a serious super bowl contender. But again, if the goal is to not be a basement dweller, Spielman is the guy. 

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Amazing how a GM who has been apart of multiple coaching regimes, little playoff success, and has never really found that franchise QB continues to keep his job. Unless there is a plan for Spielman to be back in a different capacity, just don’t see how MN actually builds a team that can be a serious super bowl contender. But again, if the goal is to not be a basement dweller, Spielman is the guy. 

None of the reports are specifically suggesting that Spielman is staying as the GM. Most of these reports are piggybacking on the idea that he gets elevated. 

Edited by SemperFeist

I think Common and Rosie were talking about that on KFAN yesterday, specifically the idea that Spielman stays with the organization but not necessarily at GM. Not that it has any bearing on what the Vikings do but has that happened before with a general manager for another team where they stay with their current organization but are re-titled/re-assigned to a different role?

I guess I could have read the article before posting. It points out that the Broncos did that with Elway. 

Edited by skywindO2

20 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I think Common and Rosie were talking about that on KFAN yesterday, specifically the idea that Spielman stays with the organization but not necessarily at GM. Not that it has any bearing on what the Vikings do but has that happened before with a general manager for another team where they stay with their current organization but are re-titled/re-assigned to a different role?

I guess I could have read the article before posting. It points out that the Broncos did that with Elway. 

Elway with Denver, and Ted Thompson with Green Bay. 

Spielman has been with this organization almost as long as the Wilfs have owned the team. Spielman was hired one year, almost to the day, after the Wilfs gained final approval for the sale. 

So, it’s very obvious that Spielman and the Wilfs have a close relationship. I have zero issue with Spielman being kept in the organization. He’s done a lot of good things. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Spielman has been with this organization almost as long as the Wilfs have owned the team. Spielman was hired one year, almost to the day, after the Wilfs gained final approval for the sale. 

So, it’s very obvious that Spielman and the Wilfs have a close relationship. I have zero issue with Spielman being kept in the organization. He’s done a lot of good things. 

I’m fine if they have another position for him. Like others who have gotten elevated roles rather than firings like Elway and Thompson, at some I think you’ve got to realize that the roster management side needs to change when it becomes stale. And it’s beyond stale at this point.

Edited by vikingsrule

What about Jim Caldwell? If we're just going to roll forward with Spielman and Cousins a Caldwell type hiring makes sense. I can't see us bringing in a big flashy hire without giving him some sort of roster and qb control.

Caldwell would bring in a fresh new offensive perspective and is well respected around the league. 

44 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

What about Jim Caldwell? If we're just going to roll forward with Spielman and Cousins a Caldwell type hiring makes sense. I can't see us bringing in a big flashy hire without giving him some sort of roster and qb control.

Caldwell would bring in a fresh new offensive perspective and is well respected around the league. 

I’m honestly not all that interested in looking at a 66 year old “new” head coach unless he has some all star staff behind him that can eventually take over. 

• Like 1