Fire JDR !! or ??

RSkinGM

I think we should move on . I don't have a replcement in mind but he woefully underperformed, especially early before injuries and Covid. He's too "Old School" maybe . Doesn't seem to be able to adjust on the fly etc . Cowboys, Rams seem to send guys from all over . We play much more straight outta the 4-3 seems to me . Need some fresh air and looks .

I wonder if Steve Belichick could be hired away from his dad's team . Young mind . 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

If he’s one of Ron’s guys, and there’s no pressure on Ron’s job, I don’t see why he would. Coordinators normally only get the axe when they’re a scapegoat

I don’t think he really is one of Ron’s guys, honestly. Maybe he’s become one since they joined up here, but they’ve never worked together prior to coming to Washington, so they don’t have the long-term connection that he has with his real “guys” like Matsko and Hoener and Hurney. Even Scott Turner worked with him previously, as did his dad — that would probably be a tough button for Rivera to push too. And I’d assume it would be a lot more difficult for him to fire Sam Mills (not going to lie, until right now I thought it was his dad, who I had totally forgotten passed away from his fight) than JDR as well.

I was thinking today that if Mike Zimmer gets fired (as everyone seems to be assuming at this point), he would be a great get as a DC. He may be a little conservative as a HC, but the man can coach some defense.

I would fire him and a lot of his staff.  I just don't think they are getting through to the players.  He is either failing to teach his scheme or failing to adjust his scheme to the talent.  I also wonder if him and Rivera are on the same page.  Hard to explain the lack of alignment between the personnel acquisition and scheme match.

Replacing him shouldn't be hard.  Replacing a head coach is hard, but there are tons of coordinators and it doesn't hurt that Rivera is a defensive guy.

Really it seems like we either got to change the coaches or move on from some of the young talent we have.  I would rather replace the coaches.

What bothers me is that both JDR and RR played linebacker in the NFL, and we draft a first round linebacker and so far, seems very underdeveloped. I understand it's still early for Davis, but throughout a full year of games you'd think having the Head Coach and DC that both played linebacker in the league, they should be able to turn him into a stud, because he's obviously an athletic freak. This tells me they aren't doing enough to develop him, or they aren't putting him in positions to succeed. It's been the same story with JDR and RR, they try to make players play into their systems rather than make their system fit the players strengths. Trying to play Collins at safety when his strength is around the line of scrimmage, try to play a zone when WJ3's strength is press man coverage. Just because the system you had 15 years ago worked, doesn't mean it will work in today's NFL. I don't think he's able to adjust and for that reason I think he needs to go. 

• Like 1

Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, GUYS! Rivera is not going to fire JDR. He was absolutely clear of that when asked after the first month or so of the season. 

Like Scott said, it bothers me that Ron didn’t see the need to sign or trade for a real upgrade at MLB - Perryman & Schobert could’ve been had for a 6th rnd pick for example. They could’ve signed Josh Bynes who started for the Ravens & played Jamin at WLB since week 1. Also, letting Moreland go when they could’ve put him on IR for a few weeks and brought him back in Oct to play the slot or something remains a bad decision. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, guys, GUYS! Rivera is not going to fire JDR. He was absolutely clear of that when asked after the first month or so of the season. 

Like Scott said, it bothers me that Ron didn’t see the need to sign or trade for a real upgrade at MLB - Perryman & Schobert could’ve been had for a 6th rnd pick for example. They could’ve signed Josh Bynes who started for the Ravens & played Jamin at WLB since week 1. Also, letting Moreland go when they could’ve put him on IR for a few weeks and brought him back in Oct to play the slot or something remains a bad decision. 

Well he better do something.  I will be apalled if Rivera does the continuity thing and changes nothing significant.

Not really sure the point of keeping him anyways.  If the defense plays lights out, he probably will leave to be a head coach.  

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think he will be fired, but I would like to see them go in a different direction. Look at what Dan Quinn has done with the Dallas defense. He puts players in positions to make plays, granted they have just freak athletes on their team, but I would argue that we do too. On paper we have one of the best front four's in the NFL and our DB's have shown flashes of being very good, until this year. There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't have a top 10 defense. It's not all on the coaching, but at some point something has to change. 

Can anyone look at it honestly and say they believe we’re better off with JDR than Mike Zimmer? That he’s a better DC?

Coaches talk all the time about competition and always looking for potential upgrades when it comes to players. But shouldn’t that be the case with coaches themselves as well? Even if JDR is an okay coach, has done an okay job — if a guy like Zimmer, an elite NFL defensive mind for many, many years comes available, don’t you have to take a shot? 

Would they pass on a chance to land an elite FS or LG, just because Bobby McCain or Ereck Flowers have been fine and maybe don’t necessarily need to be replaced?

He may have absolutely no interest in coming here. In which case...cool. But I would think he’d regard Rivera highly, and how many teams have this much talent to play with and a DC that might actually be vulnerable?

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Well he better do something.  I will be apalled if Rivera does the continuity thing and changes nothing significant.

Not really sure the point of keeping him anyways.  If the defense plays lights out, he probably will leave to be a head coach.  

Well, be prepared to be appalled. I don't see anyone getting fired. I hope we upgrade the talent on this roster. We definitely need upgrades in several spots. I like Heinickie but we need an upgrade at QB, Heinickie & Allen are back up quality QBs. We obviously need an upgrade at MLB & an upgrade at depth for MLB & SLB, we need better competition at FS, we need an upgrade as a 3rd DE.

49 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Can anyone look at it honestly and say they believe we’re better off with JDR than Mike Zimmer? That he’s a better DC?

Coaches talk all the time about competition and always looking for potential upgrades when it comes to players. But shouldn’t that be the case with coaches themselves as well? Even if JDR is an okay coach, has done an okay job — if a guy like Zimmer, an elite NFL defensive mind for many, many years comes available, don’t you have to take a shot? 

Would they pass on a chance to land an elite FS or LG, just because Bobby McCain or Ereck Flowers have been fine and maybe don’t necessarily need to be replaced?

He may have absolutely no interest in coming here. In which case...cool. But I would think he’d regard Rivera highly, and how many teams have this much talent to play with and a DC that might actually be vulnerable?

JDR was 12-4 with the Raiders in 2016. He may have been 13-3 and won a playoff game if Derek Carr didn't break his leg and their D was awesome that year. Despite Rivera & Marty’s not selecting the LBs he wanted, not keeping Kerrigan nor improving MLB & depth JDR did have the defense playing better the 2nd half of the year w/ Chase & Sweat out for most of it until injuries & COVID took over. If not for JDR’s defense we don't beat Tampa, Seattle, Carolina and LV. His defense held all those teams to 21 (Carolina) or lower.

If Zimmer is such a great defensive mind, why can't he improve the Vikings defense? They sign all these DTs but don't have good depth at DE when Daniele Hunter went down.

Washington’s run D is 8th. The Vikings is 26th despite the DTs they have & the LBs they have and their LBs are way more talented than ours. The Washington pass D is 16th despite our injuries & how poorly they started the season. Vikings pass D is 32nd, not exactly a ringing endorsement for Zimmer.

Zimmer seems nothing but a name at this point.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1