Vic Fangio fired

Broncofan

Much needed.  Great DC, but awful HC, no way to keep him with a demotion.    Wish him well in his next gig.     

Paton made the right call - the big calls are the next HC/OC/DC, and obviously, the QB he pairs them with.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Good riddance.  Great DC and always put a great defensive product on the field but hes not the leader/CEO of a perennial contender. He tolerated poor performance at OC and STC, didn’t take ownership for failures, and the messaging internally and externally was disappointing.

Now he and Harbaugh will be a pain in our a** in LV. 

Edited by bMiller031

I’m surprised they’ve actually announced that Shurmur has been fired. Surely when the HC goes, you fire the entire coaching staff and let the new coach bring his guys in.

That tweet gives me the fear that McMahon and other incompetent coaches are being retained. 

Losing a game where  we were close, but Fangio opted for the FG and the D never got the ball back to give the O another chance, couldn't describe the Fangio era more accurately.    Those 14K+ no-shows also told the story.

Tried hard, played hard, played close games - but game management blunders, a limited O that couldn't come back once they got behind, and just painful football to watch on the O end.    And to be abundantly clear - we had the 2nd-easiest schedule this year, getting to face 4 bottom 5 teams.   3 years, 19-30.   The other part - going into the season, DEN spent the most on D than any other team at 95M (KC passed us by getting Melvin Ingram via trade), and had the highest or 2nd highest D/O ratio of cap allocation.    

Fangio's a great DC.   He should succeed in his next gig.   But anyone who suggests that Paton was premature here, or Fangio didn't get a fair shake, they aren't looking at the cold, hard facts.

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

I’m surprised they’ve actually announced that Shurmur has been fired. Surely when the HC goes, you fire the entire coaching staff and let the new coach bring his guys in.

That tweet gives me the fear that McMahon and other incompetent coaches are being retained. 

No, this is Klis deflecting ire from the fanbase.

I'm actually hoping we retain Kollar & Munchak.    That's going to be up to the new HC, though.   Like you said, the new HC gets to pick his staff.   This is just to appease the fanbase, who are irate that Shurmur wasn't fired sooner.    Of all the guys to get fired, Shurmur & McMahon deserved it the most (Fangio deserved it for sure, but his loyalty to Shurmur/McMahon and refusal to be accountable, were probably his 2nd / 3rd biggest weaknesses, although nothing can match his game management & challenge management combo skill set struggles).

17 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Good riddance.  Great DC and always put a great defensive product on the field but hes not the leader/CEO of a perennial contender. He tolerated poor performance at OC and STC, didn’t take ownership for failures, and the messaging internally and externally was disappointing.

Now he and Harbaugh will be a pain in our a** in LV. 

Don't count out Chicago for Harbaugh/Fangio.    Either way, if it happens, it happens.  Won't lose any sleep over it.

I know this was cited as a reason to reconsider Fangio's firing - it's a bad one.  If we can't beat a team with Fangio as DC, so be it.  It's not a reason to keep a liability as HC.   

Edited by Broncofan

Well this came a little earlier than I suspected, I thought they would wait until Monday morning. But good not to leave Vic twisting in the wind, the look on his face at the end of the game yesterday told you all you needed to know, he knew he was going to get the axe - I even said to the wife when we were watching the game, “Vic looks sad.” 

Now the hard part is finding the right candidates, conducting good interviews and background checks and making a good hire. The last good hire this team made was Kubiak in 2015, the last two have been bad hires, has have three of the last five. 

• Like 1