Vic Fangio fired

Broncofan

19 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I don't want any part of Dan Quinn

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

A lot of people in the know seem to think he is a very serious contender for the job. The one I want no part of is Kellan Moore and, of course, anyone with ties to New England. 

Quinn's a bad hire if he's not learned from his game management mistakes in ATL.   But I'd almost grill him for 30+ minutes with lessons learned and different scenarios.  If he clears that, then it's about who he pairs with - Klint Kubiak or Mike McDaniel, I'm all on-board with.  Quinn had 1 shot as a HC, and was probably too soon.   While his game management was an issue then (along with Shanny), everyone else speaks nothing but positively of their time with him.      I want no part of guys who've been around as HC long enough to see they're not likely changing.   Quinn's not in that group yet.  

Kellen Moore I have no problem with - if he can show in interviews he gets the HC job is different.  Brandon Staley killed it last year during interviews, and if Moore did that, I'd be all over it as well - provided he can pair up with an excellent DC.    There's nothing to suggest he'd be as unprepared as Vance Joseph was, or as arrogant as Josh McDaniels was.   Rather than draw the conclusion that first-time HC with no real experience = do not consider, I'd want to see the candidates' entire body of work, and I'd want to drill down for hours how they'd tackle the different aspects of HC (like Staley apparently did).   If they can do that, and convince Paton, then I'm totally OK with that.

I'm not going to be absolute on a "no" to any candidates -  other than pure retreads, or ppl who show they can't be trusted / are completely inept (like Matt Nagy / Darrell Bevell as incompetent, BOB / McDaniels HC can't-trust candidates).   Don't want guys who aren't going to change, I can't trust, and/or on the retread / nepotism / familiarity-is-better-than-unknown cycle.    

Edited by Broncofan

Klis listed 9 candidates - Doug Pederson, Nathaniel Hackett, Dan Quinn, Jerod Mayo, Brian Callahan, Eric Bieniemy, Brian Daboll, Byron Leftwich and Kellan Moore. 

I could get on board with Quinn, Hackett and Pederson. Callahan, Mayo and Daboll all have the New England stink I don’t want. Bieniemy was a disaster at CU and is riding the Andy Reid/Patrick Maholmes gravy train, I see another Matt Nagy, at best. He will have huge support from the media and some corners of the fanbase, however. Leftwich and Moore haven’t done it for long enough. 

I’m surprised Dennis Allen isn’t on the list. But this is just Klis speculating - I doubt Mayo gets a look from Paton, Klis just loves him some Patriots so it’s no surprise 1/3 of his list has ties to Belichick and his boy McDaniels. 

https://www.9news.com/article/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/nine-candidates-for-denver-broncos-vacant-head-coach-position/73-0dfc0430-b677-49ba-8d7b-2cfdd0e7efa1

36 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

For the interviews, I want Paton to spend an hour showing clips of questionable on field decisions and asking the candidate whether they’d throw the red challenge flag or not. 

Or spend replay decisions for 15 mins, and 45 mins on how they'd tackle game management decisions like 4th and 3 at the team's 43 in the 1Q/2Q/4Q, and 4th and 9 down 7 with 7 minutes to go with a team that's converted 70+ percent of 3rd downs against us.    With Quinn, I'd want an hour on the latter at a minimum.  

1 minute ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Not sure how you can say Callahan has New England stink. Yes he was an assistant under mcD but he was also an assistant under fox and Kubiak (spent longer under each of them in fact) and has never worked for either BB or Sabin…

Plus Daboll has made his bones in Buffalo under McDermott.  

To be clear, I'm not as high on Daboll, because I think he's regressed this year (and man, he's so pass happy - which I get partly with Josh Allen there, but it's also worrisome that BUF has never been able to develop a good run game - for all of my despair that we had an archaic and impotent pass game, balance is still required, you can't be as pass-heavy as BUF depends on long-term).   But I don't think he earns the BB tree / disciple concern as much as a guy like Mayo would.

The guys who've never left BB's shadow, no thanks.   Pretty clear they're not full-on autonomous coordinators.   

My problem with Leftwich & Bienemy - they're not full-on autonomous OC's with full play calling duties (let's face it, not only Arians, but TB12 runs that show in Tampa, and we know it's Reid in KC).   Again, I don't have nearly as much of a problem with Kellen Moore - but I want likely 2 extensive interviews on how he'd be in the other HC roles.   

25 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Not sure how you can say Callahan has New England stink. Yes he was an assistant under mcD but he was also an assistant under fox and Kubiak (spent longer under each of them in fact) and has never worked for either BB or Sabin…

You’re right I looked through Callahan’s career. He was McDaniels lackey here but we kept him around and he’s since coached under others. I jumped the gun there. 

And @Broncofan, Daboll has coached football for 25 years, since 1997, and has spent 19 of those years under Saban, Belichick, Mangini, Crennel and Pioli. I don’t care if he’s worked for McDermott in Buffalo for the last few. That’s way too much Patriot stink. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You’re right I looked through Callahan’s career. He was McDaniels lackey here but we kept him around and he’s since coached under others. I jumped the gun there. 

And @Broncofan, Daboll has coached football for 25 years, since 1997, and has spent 19 of those years under Saban, Belichick, Mangini and Pioli. I don’t care if he’s worked for McDermott in Buffalo for the last few. That’s way too much Patriot stink. 

I get the BB tree doubt/aversion, it's well earned - but if we look a little deeper, it's pretty clear they were mostly just lackeys in the BB system, and he ran the show.   If they have success elsewhere, have to think it's more there.   

Again, I'm not really on Daboll per se, but I'm a lot more open to guys who succeed elsewhere.    Guys like Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, who've never had success on their own, yeah, I get it.   Stay away.

FTR, I think Quinn is the leading guy for good reason.   Game management and who his OC will be are the only 2 Q's.   Allbright sums it up best, I'd add that the reason why his players love him is he believes in an attacking style, we're-better-than-you-are, play-to-win mentality.   Puts the game into the players' hands to win.  Not "don't lose" as the foundation. 

Edited by Broncofan

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I get the BB tree doubt/aversion, it's well earned - but if we look a little deeper, it's pretty clear they were mostly just lackeys in the BB system, and he ran the show.   If they have success elsewhere, have to think it's more there.   

Again, I'm not really on Daboll per se, but I'm a lot more open to guys who succeed elsewhere.    Guys like Matt Patricia and Joe Judge, who've never had success on their own, yeah, I get it.   Stay away.

FTR, I think Quinn is the leading guy for good reason.   Game management and who his OC will be are the only 2 Q's.   Allbright sums it up best, I'd add that the reason why his players love him is he believes in an attacking style, we're-better-than-you-are, play-to-win mentality.   Puts the game into the players' hands to win.  Not "don't lose" as the foundation. 

And considering his most successful seasons came with Kyle has his OC, he likely has a measure of affinity for that scheme/style and, given what the insiders have said, the preference is for a Shanahan/McVay tree OC. Seems like the most likely and, IMO, preferred, scenario is Quinn + new WCO OC. 

18 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

If Quinn is hired, goodbye 3-4 defense (although, doesn't he have a scheme that uses a modified 3-4 at times or something?).

We have personnel that could play in either scheme. This isn't a big deal. Our nickel defense probably wouldn't even change which is the defense we spend most of our time in anyway

• Like 1