Wild Card Weekend: Cardinals vs. Rams

BStanRamFan

Trying to move on quickly from last night's loss. We finish as the 4seed and get our friends, the Arizona Cardinals, in round 1. Rams opened as -4 point favorites. O/U is at 50.5.

Hopkins should still be out. James Conner returned yesterday and will be key to stopping that offense from getting going. I would have preferred drawing the Eagle in Round 1, but this was my 2nd preferred opponent. What do we think guys?

I think having Floyd and Miller on the edge was the key in the last meeting. Those guys are great at keeping Kyler in the pocket and letting Donald wreck the game from the inside. Then getting Jalen back to not play practice squad corners should be enough for the defense to have a solid day.

On offense, just need Stafford to play clean. I thought he did yesterday besides the last ball. Protected the ball when the pocket collapsed and his first pick is on a 3rd and long situation. Never mind taking a chance there when it suffices as a punt. 

My preferred opponent was the Saints which we would have gotten with a win yesterday. I like our chances against Arizona but Kyler having a monster game or Stafford melting down is the worry. If neither of those things happen then it should be a win.

The Rams went from playing the opponent that owns them to now playing the opponent that they own. Tbh the Rams playing the Cards is the equivalent of the Cowboys had they played the Eagles which we know the Cowboys feast off of NFC East teams. The Rams feast off of the Cards.

Now Im not taking the Cards lightly. They are talented and plus they beat us earlier in the season in LA pretty good. I do think when the spotlight got bright and the stakes got high we see Kingsbury meltdown. The Cards have lost 4 out of their last 5 games. They had the division in their hands had they won yesterday but they lost before the Rams game was over. Having no D-Hop is going to hurt them greatly. I really like their weapons but D-Hop is what makes this offense go bc when they need a play to be made Kyler can go to him and he can make things happen. Similar to the Rams offense with Kupp. 

I think the Cards inability to stop the run is going to help Michel and Akers get going. The Rams are going to come in locked in focus knowing that they blew the big lead against the Niners thus no lead is safe. I dont think McVay is going to be conservative like he was against the Niners in certain situations. Im extremely confident the Rams win this game and go back to the divisional round as I predicted. I said the Rams will at least get back to the divisional round then we will see if Stafford can be the difference in us getting back to the NFCCG.

The thing I want to see is how Stafford looks early. The pressure will be on him to finally win a playoff game. We know McVay has won playoff games. We know McVay and the Rams own the Cards. If the Rams struggle and lose everything is going to be on Stafford. I said I only trust four QBs in these playoffs bc when the game is tight in the 4th quarter I know these guys will deliver. Those QBs are Brady, Mahomes, ARod, and Stafford. I want to see Stafford continue to be excellent in the 4th quarter bc I do think the Cards are going to battle till the end. Stafford just has to be clutch like he was in the 4th quarter against the Niners and like he has been all season long in the 4th quarter being the best 4th quarter QB in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

Forgot, but the Cards are very good on road.......it makes me anxious a little bit more

Yeah they got beat by the Lions in Detroit. I’m not concerned. A lot of there success was before the pressure really got put on them. After Thanksgiving they haven’t been good outside of the Dallas game and I think that had a lot to do with Dallas being Dallas than the Cards being great. They are dangerous don’t get me wrong but I don’t trust Kingsbury in the big spots. No D-Hop hurts this team alot and McVay has the confidence against this town like Kyle has against the Rams. The Rams just own the Cards and I expect it to be no different on Monday. 

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Yeah they got beat by the Lions in Detroit. I’m not concerned. A lot of there success was before the pressure really got put on them. After Thanksgiving they haven’t been good outside of the Dallas game and I think that had a lot to do with Dallas being Dallas than the Cards being great. They are dangerous don’t get me wrong but I don’t trust Kingsbury in the big spots. No D-Hop hurts this team alot and McVay has the confidence against this town like Kyle has against the Rams. The Rams just own the Cards and I expect it to be no different on Monday. 

Goff owns the Cardinals. Have to throw that one out. 

• Like 1

LA has had Arizonas number for a while now. I think a big advantage the Rams have in this game is playoff experience. It’s crazy when Mcvay started we lost to Atlanta and had just about 0 playoff experience. We’ve come a long way. That said, Arizona is getting healthier aside from Nuke. 

I just want turnover free football from the offense. Stafford and these bad INTs need to stop if the rams will have any chance at all at making a run. We all know that. The Defense imo will be fine, although I’m nervous about the safeties and how they’ll do in the first game without fuller. 

I think LA comes out on top and probably has to go to Lambo next week. 

Prediction: Cards 24 Rams 33

• Like 1

Defensively I think Arizona is going to put up points. Ideally not as much as the first meeting but their offense is too good even without Hopkins to get stomped on. The number I am hoping the defense can keep them under is 24. That should be good enough to win because I love the running game against Arizona and McVay/Stafford should have a good day against Vance Joseph. 

• Like 1

Feels weird but in the last 24 hours, I became pretty confident in the game tomorrow (specifically Mcvay).

I feel like after that poor empty set choice and not going for it at the end, something has to click. That could have been the worst loss of his career because we should have been able to close it out twice in a division clinching game. If that's not going to get him to take a hard look in the mirror, nothing will. 

Hopefully we get a large dose of Sony and whatever Akers can handle. I'd also like to see OBJ used more like Woods used to be. Safford actually played well last week so if our line gives him a pocket to step into, I think he's going to play great.