2022 Wildcard Play-off's Steelers vs. Chiefs

Steeler Hitman

Bouchette and ProFootballTalk are both reporting that Art Rooney II might fire Canada since Tomlin hasn’t yet, and rumor is a majority of the coaching staff “isn’t Tomlin guys” saying Matt Canada was one of the few “Tomlin hires” but his promotion wasn’t. 

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Bouchette and ProFootballTalk are both reporting that Art Rooney II might fire Canada since Tomlin hasn’t yet, and rumor is a majority of the coaching staff “isn’t Tomlin guys” saying Matt Canada was one of the few “Tomlin hires” but his promotion wasn’t. 

This would be welcome news….but also concerning as hell. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 43M said:

Whats so concerning?   I welcome it as long as they go outside the organization for the replacement OC.

Concerning that the owner would have to step in and do the HC’s job for him. 

I personally think Canada needs to go before we get in too deep. But if Tomlin needs to be told that by the owner, I would worry. 

Maybe it could be a good thing with there being some pressure pushed down to Tomlin about needing to find more urgency with his staff and not expecting things to get better because he thinks they’ll get better. But bypassing the coach usually signals the beginning of an end. 

25 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Concerning that the owner would have to step in and do the HC’s job for him. 

I personally think Canada needs to go before we get in too deep. But if Tomlin needs to be told that by the owner, I would worry. 

Maybe it could be a good thing with there being some pressure pushed down to Tomlin about needing to find more urgency with his staff and not expecting things to get better because he thinks they’ll get better. But bypassing the coach usually signals the beginning of an end. 

I’m concerned the opposite way that Tomlin doesn’t quite have the level of autonomy we thought he had, and that many of the issues from a staff standpoint are Art Rooney II things not Tomlin things. 

17 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Either Tomlin gets to make his assistant coaching choices and wins or loses on that or just let him go.  If the Owner is going to meddle in the coaching of the team then the Owner had better get a GM and a coach he can live with.

And the issue there is Dan made the hires of Tomlin and Colbert and didn’t meddle. 

They say that Tombert make the drafting and signings and if they disagree it’s Art’s decision, and Dan used to be that. Got to wonder if Art is interjecting himself too much. 

47 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’m concerned the opposite way that Tomlin doesn’t quite have the level of autonomy we thought he had, and that many of the issues from a staff standpoint are Art Rooney II things not Tomlin things. 

I have a hard time buying that the 5th highest paid coach in American sport is a puppet. Rooney could save a boatload of money to hire someone else to inject his will. 

Same with Tomlin staying in that environment when he could literally go anywhere he wanted for whatever dollar amount and whatever power he desired. 

None of us really know the dynamic, but Rooney forcing a hire, Tomlin defending that hire a year later, and then Rooney overruling the coach and firing the hire he forced doesn’t flow very well. Why would Tomlin defend a hire he didn’t make if the owner who made the hire wanted him fired? 

I can’t remember if it was Nate Tice or Kevin Clark talking about the Steelers front office being one of, if not the most, collaborative in football from people inside the room. I have no doubt Rooney had influence, but I struggle to see him as Jerry Jones. 

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I have a hard time buying that the 5th highest paid coach in American sport is a puppet. Rooney could save a boatload of money to hire someone else to inject his will. 

Not puppet rather doesn’t have the level of autonomy we thought he had.