Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

On 5/15/2022 at 4:52 PM, Chiefs_5627 said:

Doh 

That's probaby another comp pick for us. We already get one for Poles and probably one for Jarran Reed. Add a 4th and 6th from the Hill trade and our pick count is up to 12. 

Update: We have some confirmation. There are details of what picks and why.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/16/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-draft-pick-projections-melvin-ingram-compensatory/

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

That's probaby another comp pick for us. We already get one for Poles and probably one for Jarran Reed. Add a 4th and 6th from the Hill trade and our pick count is up to 12. 

Update: We have some confirmation. There are details of what picks and why.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/05/16/kansas-city-chiefs-2023-nfl-draft-pick-projections-melvin-ingram-compensatory/

Well, are we going to chase Clowney?

Do we want Clowney at all? Well, sort of. He had nine sacks last season.

However, he has been with four different teams in four years, meaning we would be the fifth. Why? One reason is health. He has only played 16 games once. Another reason is money His 2021 contract was $8 MM which was considered a bargain. Reportedly, the Browns offered two years and $24 MM. That's a deal breaker for me. Add the age, 29, and the mileage, and I am not confident he would be able to reproduce 2021. 

If he was a generic DE who could had for a year at $4 MM or $5 MM, then maybe. At twice that and more, count me out. We already have Joshua Kaindoh who has significant similarities, is younger and MUCH cheaper.

22 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

However, he has been with four different teams in four years, meaning we would be the fifth. Why? One reason is health. He has only played 16 games once. Another reason is money His 2021 contract was $8 MM which was considered a bargain. Reportedly, the Browns offered two years and $24 MM. That's a deal breaker for me. Add the age, 29, and the mileage, and I am not confident he would be able to reproduce 2021. 

Clowney was better and cheaper than Clark in every statistical category outside of FF last year and in that they were tied.  They both played in 14 games.  I think if there’sa way to add Clowney at a similar price to last year, we should do it.  Clark isn’t exactly the pinnacle of durability, so with GK being an unknown a guy that you know can produce in the rotation of three seems like a no-brainer.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Clowney was better and cheaper than Clark in every statistical category outside of FF last year and in that they were tied.  They both played in 14 games.  I think if there’sa way to add Clowney at a similar price to last year, we should do it.  Clark isn’t exactly the pinnacle of durability, so with GK being an unknown a guy that you know can produce in the rotation of three seems like a no-brainer.

It's not a clear cut preference, much less a no-brainer. Clowney does not have Clark's reputation against run and we already have Clark, so it's a moot point. Compared to Clowney, Clark is the picture of of durability.

The biggest advantage Clowney has is that Clark would have to leave and some people want that. We probably cannot pay both and also re-sign OB Jr. I'll take a good LT over Clowney any day and double on game day.

Regardless, the signs point to Cleveland re-signing JC. 

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

It's not a clear cut preference, much less a no-brainer. Clowney does not have Clark's reputation against run and we already have Clark, so it's a moot point. Compared to Clowney, Clark is the picture of of durability.

The biggest advantage Clowney has is that Clark would have to leave and some people want that. We probably cannot pay both and also re-sign OB Jr. I'll take a good LT over Clowney any day and double on game day.

Regardless, the signs point to Cleveland re-signing JC. 

Clowney is actually very good against the run, from everything ive heard from Browns fans

but you really shouldn’t be paying a 43 DE for his run defense abilities

Clowney is more a run defender than pass rusher.   Not to say he’s a bad pass rusher,  or a super high caliber run defender.     I’d actually prefer to go after more of a situational rusher,     We already have a similar player in Clowney with Danna (skillwise).    I’d probably Carlos Dunlap to Clowney anyways,  though it’s not by much. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

Clowney is actually very good against the run, from everything ive heard from Browns fans but you really shouldn’t be paying a 43 DE for his run defense abilities

That is as it may be. We are paying Clark for what he brings, meaning we cannot afford both Clowney and Orlando Brown. That choice is no contest.

I am not thrilled with DE but Clark, Karlaftis, Danna, are a lot better than we had this time last year. Coming off injuries are Jason Kaindoh and Malik Herrrring whose value is unknown. Add Chenal, a blitzer playing SOLB, and we have pass rush. There are still veteran DE and DT to sort through, eg Carlos Dunlap or Jason Pierre-Paul, who are a lot less expensive than Clowney.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

This is the best way to do it. It's probably already clear that Dieter was not even going to make practice squad. 

J

Could end up as a guy, if he wants to, that ends up in our around the team doing something.  As well like as he is.

• Like 1