Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

14 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Nowhere in that article does it say he’s expected to sign.  I mean I would expect him to sign it eventually, but if he signs and holds out, he gets fined.  If he doesn’t sign they can’t fine him.

I agree. It was click bait.

I fully expect him to skip camp, but once the season starts he would start losing game checks. That's a beast of a different color.

This article has some insight into the behind the scenes from the chiefs side. OB Jr's agent has been vocal about their side but we may never know if it's just spin. As the article says, no one should be surprised with this outcome. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/19/kansas-city-chiefs-frustrated-disappointed-orlando-brown-jr-contract-talks/

Edited by onejayhawk

In other news, this article gives a nice rundown on all the transactions this offseason. There have been a lot. Below are just some of the players who are no longer with the team. 
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/reviewing_the_kansas_city_chiefs_2022_offseason/s1_14819_37691750

Notable losses (Starter

Austin Blythe, C
Tyreek Hill, WR (traded)
Anthony Hitchens, LB (released)
Mike Hughes, CB
Melvin Ingram, DE 
Kyle Long, G
Tyrann Mathieu, S
Ben Niemann, LB
Byron Pringle, WR
Jarran Reed, DT
Mike Remmers, T
Demarcus Robinson, WR
Daniel Sorensen, S
Charvarius Ward, CB
Darrel Williams, RB

Both sides are doing it's diligence using the media to get the other side to budge.    tbf,  I'm good either way with Brown.    His play on the field does not even deserve the contract he was offered,   but I get why they did it.   He is a solid player,   I would not hesitate to let him go if he wants to be the top played LT in AAV and guaranties.         He's not that type of talent.

4 hours ago, RedGold said:

Both sides are doing it's diligence using the media to get the other side to budge.    tbf,  I'm good either way with Brown.    His play on the field does not even deserve the contract he was offered,   but I get why they did it.   He is a solid player,   I would not hesitate to let him go if he wants to be the top played LT in AAV and guaranties.         He's not that type of talent.

Would KC get a comp pick if he walks? If he does ball out can’t they tag him again? 

33 minutes ago, chiefs82 said:

Would KC get a comp pick if he walks? If he does ball out can’t they tag him again? 

He would factor into the comp pick compensation.  I would assume if we lost him, Veach would go after a top FA though.       Yeah they can tag him again, it’d be around 21.5 Mil for the 2nd tag though.

I don’t have a worry either way,  either they work it out.  Or they move on.  Brown is a solid player, but he’s not irreplaceable by any means.  The only slight worry I would have is they give in to his demands. 

The model is to pick a full year ahead of the need and hope the player arrives early. That said, they have had success finding players through trades and off the street. Give the FO enough time they will find something useful if they haven't already.

Geron Christian may be that guy. He was a 3rd round pick and has 16 starts over four years. He is no star but he should be at least solid with strength leaning to pass-protection (PFF pass-pro grade 78.8). With the strength of the IOL, we can handle solid from the bookends especially if they can pass block. 
https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/07/15/geron-christian-solid-plan-b-chiefs-left-tackle/

Edited by onejayhawk

Per Adam Teicher, ESPN,

The Chiefs have several candidates to replace Brown, though none are as accomplished at left tackle. Coach Andy Reid suggested the Chiefs would look at left guard Joe Thuney, who filled in well at left tackle in one game last season in place of the injured Brown.

"We know Joe Thuney can do it in a heartbeat,'' Reid said. "If we need to go that direction, we'll go that direction.''

This is why we have camp. We try Thuney at LT with Allegretti at LG. We try Geron Christian at LT. 

Personally, I think Brown waits to sign the tag mostly because he doesn't want to go through another training camp. He signs about two weeks before the season starts and is ready for game #1. If not, Christian can pass block and Thuney can get some reps in during preseason.