Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

Bushman to IR. He was waived with an injury designation, then moved to IR. This means he cannot return from IR this season but there is a workaround. He would be released with an injury settlement then re--signed. See also RB Derriick Gore.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/31/kansas-city-chiefs-matt-bushman-injured-reserve-waived-injured-designation/

The last two PS signees are Kendal Blanton, son of former Chiefs LB Jerry Blanton. This is a player that the team has been after for a while. The lst spot goes to LB Cole Christiansen who went to West Point and is now an Army Reservist. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/9/1/23333255/chiefs-sign-te-kendall-blanton-and-lb-cole-christiansen-to-practice-squad

Edited by onejayhawk

• 2 weeks later...

The Chiefs poach a PS player from the Rams--Benton Whitley.

Under current practice-squad rules, this means that Whitley must remain on Kansas City’s active roster for at least three weeks. He currently occupies the roster spot vacated by LB Willie Gay's suspension.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/9/21/23365446/chiefs-sign-de-benton-whitley-from-rams-practice-squad

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Don’t hate it. He knows the system and can obviously help on ST. Plus the WR FA pool is pretty thin.

Spekaing of, anyone know why Dede Westbrook is still unsigned?

Probably just done at this point. Didn't really do much of anything for Minnesota last year coming off the ACL tear. Couldn't get open on offense, fumbled twice in 22 returns on special teams. Wasn't getting touches even when his snap count went up with Thielen hurt towards the end of the year. I assume the consensus is just that there's no value there anymore. He got a couple of workouts, but the Vikings didn't want him back, and San Fran opted to sign Willie Snead instead. Which I think speaks volumes.

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

A familiar name returns as we sign Chris Conley to PS. He was drafted third round in 2015 and had 5 TD in 2018, Mahomes' MVP year.
https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/chiefs_sign_wr_chris_conley_to_practice_squad/s1_14819_37964715

I'm guessing there may be some unhappiness with the revamped WR room. Maybe some of the new guys don't have the playbook down so we're bringing back former guys in Kemp and Conley? I know I've been disappointed with that group.

Conley had 5 TD in 2019 for Jax and 2 TD in 2020, both as a starter. In 2021 he started 10 games in Houston but was only targeted 37 times. This season he was not starting and had only two targets, one a drop. Weeks 3 and 4 he DNP. Clearly there was a rift. 

With us there are 4 WR the injury report and Mahomes knows him. If he's in shape, he could play pretty quickly.

44 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Conley had 5 TD in 2019 for Jax and 2 TD in 2020, both as a starter. In 2021 he started 10 games in Houston but was only targeted 37 times. This season he was not starting and had only two targets, one a drop. Weeks 3 and 4 he DNP. Clearly there was a rift. 

With us there are 4 WR the injury report and Mahomes knows him. If he's in shape, he could play pretty quickly.

I'd think Kemp gets the nod first since he's been in the system more recently. Conley would likely need a few weeks to get the playbook down. I'd bet that we see our TE and RB running those WR routes if it came down to it.