Talent Acquisition and Separation

onejayhawk

58 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I'd expect a few minor moves if an OL they like becomes available,  but overall I really like this roster.

Agreed. The biggest changes from my final guess was cutting Fountain and Buechele. Although Fountain should be on the PS and Buechele was easy to guess as a keeper after the 3rd game. Seems like they want him to take over as the #2 QB next year.

I'm a little surprised they kept 9 OL and only 4 DT. Although, several of our 6 DE can play inside as well, which makes sense numbers wise.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Really didn't think we'd go 4 RB and just 5 WR. Thought Jones would get cut and Fountain would stay.

Other surprises are minor to me. Thought a 5th DT would be in play, but didn't think we'd keep 6 DEs.

I think Danna and Karlaftis will probably see a decent amount of snaps inside. Granted, it should be in obvious passing situations.

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

Fortson likely cancels out the need for the extra WR.   Worst comes to worst, I would rather him be on the field than any of the WR’s we cut 

I think this is exactly the case.  Better more explosive version of Gordon just not listed as WR.  Bigger than the rest.  Versatility at the end of the position group is key.

Here is a list of today's moves. More coming, eg Bushman re-signs and goes on IR.

Zayne Anderson (S – Brigham Young)
Dicaprio Bootle (CB – Nebraska)
Mike Caliendo (G – Western Michigan)
Jack Cochrane (LB – South Dakota)
Matt Dickerson, Matt (DT – UCLA)
Jerrion Ealy (RB – Mississippi)
Jordan Franks (TE – Central Florida)
Vitaliy Gurman (T – Toledo)
Nazeeh Johnson (S – Marshall)
Azur Kamara (DE – Kansas)
Devon Key (S – Western Kentucky)
Kehinde Oginni (DE – No College)
Cornell Powell (WR – Clemson)
Jermaine Carter (LB – Maryland)
Corey Coleman (WR – Baylor)
Daurice Fountain (WR – Northern Iowa)
Josh Gordon (WR – Baylor)
Elijah Lee (LB – Kansas State)
Austin Reiter (C – South Florida)
Danny Shelton (DT – Washington)
Taylor Stallworth (DT – South Carolina)
Matt Bushman (TE – Brigham Young) – Injured

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

It does, though I suspect he is in a similar arranged cut and re-sign. 

J

Do you mean similar to Elijah Lee? Because they took an $8M dead cap hit, with $4M more yet to come, from cutting Leatherwood. That's a straight up cut. If it was just transactional, they'd have cut someone on a one year or last year of a deal with a lower cap hit. No way he ever returns.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Do you mean similar to Elijah Lee? Because they took an $8M dead cap hit, with $4M more yet to come, from cutting Leatherwood. That's a straight up cut. If it was just transactional, they'd have cut someone on a one year or last year of a deal with a lower cap hit. No way he ever returns.

Plus reports are that the Raiders called all 31 other teams to try and trade him with no takers. I hope we stay away and stick with who we’ve got. 

10 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Plus reports are that the Raiders called all 31 other teams to try and trade him with no takers. I hope we stay away and stick with who we’ve got. 

That's more convincing.

I am leery of Alabama OL and DL. The unit and the scheme tend to make them look better than they are. 

This is an article hitting on some high points. I still think Danny Shelton has a future here but 6 DE and 4 DT is an interesting mix. Spags likes to slide his DE inside and Karlaftis is made to order for it. I am guessing that both Malik Herring and Joshua Kaindoh have shown enough that the team will not risk them to waivers. 
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-roster-cuts-2022-initial-53-man-roster-reactions/

Edited by onejayhawk

9 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'd be fine bringing him in, but I'd rather wait until he's inevitably available next offseason, and we don't burn a roster spot for him.

Practice squad will be forming. Here are the rules. PS has expanded from 10mto 16 players since COVID. Ten must have two or fewer years and six can have unlimited experience.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/lists/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-roster-cuts-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary/

Here is the initial roster. Elijah Lee is expected to move to the 53 when Blake Bell moves to IR.

S Zayne Anderson
G Mike Caliendo
LB Jack Cochrane
RB Jerrion Ealy
WR Daurice Fountain
TE Jordan Franks
S Nazeeh Johnson
DE Azur Kamara
LB Elijah Lee
QB Chris Oladokun
WR Cornell Powell
C Austin Reiter