2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

Still think he's too similar to JFM.  If we knew 100% we were getting the real full blown Carl Lawson back then MAYBE I would be okay.  But even watching his highlights I don't love him.  His name alone is bust-worthy.

I'm personally hoping we drop down a few spots to see where the board is.  Then I'm feeling better about picks like Stingley, Hamilton, Gardner, Ikem...or maybe a guy like Ojabo or JJ shoot up top 10.

I hear ya. But here's the thing that we have to stay optimistic about. The majority on here were done with Mosley after an injury and sitting out a year. He came back in the best shape of his life and looked great this year. Hard working dedicated players make it work. Carl Lawson is an incredibly high character guy that is known for his work ethic. You better believe he'll be in the best shape of his life come TC (actually a positive thing for us that he got hurt early to be ready for TC). His game is finesse. That burst, bend and speed around the edge. So we have that in him. So Karlaftis on the other side isn't as quick and agile, but is still 100% an edge that does everything good. Where JFM is more of a hybrid DLineman. We take Karlaftis at 4 and have a DL of Lawson, Q, JFM, Karlaftis... that's a lot of talent that can get after the passer. And all incredibly young or hitting their prime.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I hear ya. But here's the thing that we have to stay optimistic about. The majority on here were done with Mosley after an injury and sitting out a year. He came back in the best shape of his life and looked great this year. Hard working dedicated players make it work. Carl Lawson is an incredibly high character guy that is known for his work ethic. You better believe he'll be in the best shape of his life come TC (actually a positive thing for us that he got hurt early to be ready for TC). His game is finesse. That burst, bend and speed around the edge. So we have that in him. So Karlaftis on the other side isn't as quick and agile, but is still 100% an edge that does everything good. Where JFM is more of a hybrid DLineman. We take Karlaftis at 4 and have a DL of Lawson, Q, JFM, Karlaftis... that's a lot of talent that can get after the passer. And all incredibly young or hitting their prime.

I believe in Lawson, just unsure about how athletes perform after an Achilles.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'd love it! I would much rather get him than use a 2nd on an older WR, although I get the reasoning.

The more I think about him at 10 the more it makes sense. If we resign Berrios (hard to imagine we don't), do we really see us using a big chunk of cap on another WR? I don't. But that still leaves us needing a starting outside WR. And man does Burks fit that perfectly for us. And he's a perfect fit for this system as well. I think if we go into draft day with the only starting move being resigning Berrios and we didn't trade a 2nd for a top WR (like a Ridley) then I think this is a route we for sure prioritize. Moore and Burks for young weapons to groom with Wilson sounds fun. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The more I think about him at 10 the more it makes sense. If we resign Berrios (hard to imagine we don't), do we really see us using a big chunk of cap on another WR? I don't. But that still leaves us needing a starting outside WR. And man does Burks fit that perfectly for us. And he's a perfect fit for this system as well. I think if we go into draft day with the only starting move being resigning Berrios and we didn't trade a 2nd for a top WR (like a Ridley) then I think this is a route we for sure prioritize. Moore and Burks for young weapons to groom with Wilson sounds fun. 

I think LaFleur would have an absolute field day coming up with plays for Moore, Berrios and Burks since they can all run the ball too.  Seems like a perfect fit for me.  

Edge-trade down for Edge and grab a 2/3

Burks

Patterson/OL

LB

I'm good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Since we're discussing draft here, I just thought of something.  JD probably realizes he made a few mistakes 2020.  By the end of camp, heck maybe even by the beginning of camp, it's totally possible we only have Becton, Hall and Mann on the roster.  Even Becton is being questioned.  We know how well last year teaming up with Saleh, the coaches and scouts has produced one of our most promising draft classes.  With the way the board looks to break, would JD trade down from 4 to get another pick or two because he knows he has to replace his 2020 draft class?

I would keep my eye on this. Especially if Kenny Pickett rises up draft boards. A team like Denver, Atlanta or New Orleans(Michael Thomas + picks?) could look to trade up.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

With the way the board looks to break, would JD trade down from 4 to get another pick or two because he knows he has to replace his 2020 draft class?

If Hutch and Thibs are gone, I absolutely think JD would entertain the idea of trading down.  The only problem is finding a trade partner and getting fair value.  With the lack of a top end QB this year, trading down may be more difficult.

24 minutes ago, Jetfan66 said:

I would keep my eye on this. Especially if Kenny Pickett rises up draft boards. A team like Denver, Atlanta or New Orleans(Michael Thomas + picks?) could look to trade up.

Thing is is teams generally only want to pay to move up for a QB. And at this stage I don't see a team falling in love with a QB enough to give up a huge package. We also are a team that needs talent. We cant just keep accumulating picks and not getting top players. I loved the aggressive move to go get AVT. Get sure fire talented guys. Don't get cute and keep trying to get more picks. Trading Adams with him forcing his way out pretty much and us moving on from Darnold were relatively easy moves. The haul he got was great. But don't get too cute and keep accumulating picks. We cant keep saying its a process and pushing it back. Eventually we have to start winning, not just look forward to the next class and adding picks. Stay put at 4 and 10.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We cant just keep accumulating picks and not getting top players. I loved the aggressive move to go get AVT. Get sure fire talented guys. Don't get cute and keep trying to get more picks.

Would we really miss out on talent if we move from 4 to say 8-12?  Assuming Thibs, Hutch and Neal are gone by 4, what are missing out on that we can't get at 8-12?  Stingley, Ikem, WR?  A good argument can be made that there is not a drop off between those choices and the next guys.  Unless they are targeting Hamilton, getting a CB, OT or WR can be had with our next two picks.  One caveat, if they feel Becton is not going to make it, they would probably be targeting OT at 4 (Ikem?)  If they want to give Becton another shot, I don't see OT in round one at all.  Unless they get rid of Fant which would be a foolish move.

I typically agree with get the best player with your highest picks, but this year I don't see a clear cut difference between the top 5 and the next, except for S.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, xrade said:

Would we really miss out on talent if we move from 4 to say 8-12?  Assuming Thibs, Hutch and Neal are gone by 4, what are missing out on that we can't get at 8-12?  Stingley, Ikem, WR?  A good argument can be made that there is not a drop off between those choices and the next guys.  Unless they are targeting Hamilton, getting a CB, OT or WR can be had with our next two picks.  One caveat, if they feel Becton is not going to make it, they would probably be targeting OT at 4 (Ikem?)  If they want to give Becton another shot, I don't see OT in round one at all.  Unless they get rid of Fant which would be a foolish move.

I typically agree with get the best player with your highest picks, but this year I don't see a clear cut difference between the top 5 and the next, except for S.

Agreed.  I think we could draft anyone in the 4-12 range and be happy.  Guys like Stingley and Hamilton will have higher ceilings but have been injured.  We need guys who will stay on the field.  We also have the 10th pick too so we are landing two good players.  We could then package a 2 and 3 to grab a falling talent to keep him under control for 5 years.  With the way the board looks we would get much better value dropping a few spots.

I know what Bobby is saying adding elite talent.  But Karlaftis is not an elite talent.  Stingley has been hurt and I like Gardner, CB isn't even an issue.  Neal and Ikem would be playing RG. etc.

Do we really want Neal at 6'7" playing OG?  Maybe its me, but Zach had enough trouble getting balls batted down at the line.  I'd hate seeing him hit his own OL in the back of the head.  Now Ikem at 6'4" would be good.  In fact, he may be projected as a quality OG in the NFL.  Kind of like Q. Nelson.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

If Hutch and Thibs are gone, I absolutely think JD would entertain the idea of trading down.  The only problem is finding a trade partner and getting fair value.  With the lack of a top end QB this year, trading down may be more difficult.

I don't think it will be that hard to trade down. We are in the perfect spot for the first QB to go off the board. I think Pickett is a top 5 pick. 

I think if this teams goes WR in the first round JD has no idea what he is doing. WR are not that bad on this team. The WR class is also not that special. You don't have that great big fast WR that can dominate. You have a bunch of guys in this draft class for WR that are middle fo the road and the ones that could be good have injury history. 

8 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't think it will be that hard to trade down. We are in the perfect spot for the first QB to go off the board. I think Pickett is a top 5 pick. 

Possible, I guess.  About the only team I see doing so would be Denver at 9.  I don't think JD would entertain dropping too much further than that.  Denver also has the draft picks (2 2's and 2 3's)  It would only take their second 2 (#59) and second 3 (#91) to move up to 4.  If Den. really wants first choice at QB, they would need to get ahead of the Giants at 5 and Carolina at 6.  A more likely take is that they will stay at 9 and draft whoever Carolina doesn't and maybe the Giants.

It would be nice having 3 SRP's and 7 in the top 100.

Trading down in this draft is ideal but that's why it would be hard to do. With no one to come up for why would anyone reach their arms out especially to get fleeced by Joey D. 

With so many veteran Quarterbacks switching teams this off-season and no top end prospects its gonna be hard to move back out of 4. 10 is probably easier to move out of. I'd love a Giants/Bears like trade for us. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Thing is is teams generally only want to pay to move up for a QB. And at this stage I don't see a team falling in love with a QB enough to give up a huge package. We also are a team that needs talent. We cant just keep accumulating picks and not getting top players. I loved the aggressive move to go get AVT. Get sure fire talented guys. Don't get cute and keep trying to get more picks. Trading Adams with him forcing his way out pretty much and us moving on from Darnold were relatively easy moves. The haul he got was great. But don't get too cute and keep accumulating picks. We cant keep saying its a process and pushing it back. Eventually we have to start winning, not just look forward to the next class and adding picks. Stay put at 4 and 10.

There is a lot of time for a team to fall in love with a QB. Right now, outside the top 2, is there much of a drop off between 3 and 12? In my evaluation, I don't see it. And keep in mind, we can use those picks we acquire in a tradedown to use for a veteran player who can help us win next year. Falcons want to trade up for a QB, cool include Calvin Ridley and your 1st.