2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

12 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

So I think I just had a dream we had a WR that made this incredible over the shoulder catch. We were wearing all black. He almost looked like Chris Godwin. 

I drunk a lot of wine last night and this is the dream I had. I'm mad at myself.  Lol

Hate to break it to ya…. But if you’re dreaming about the Jets, those are nightmares not dreams. 😉 

When it comes to building this team, we just have to get the talent where we can and building a team that can compete. We can't over think where to get the talent and we can't force position picks if the talent isn't there. I've said this before, we're facing Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herb, Carr, Jackson, Jones, and others for years. So trying to force Wilson to be one of them to build a high powered offense and mediocre defense isn't going to get us anywhere. The top-2 defenses in the league are in our division. The parts you take from other teams is something like needing a #1 WR or a general threat. You don't do things like not picking [insert position] early because a team like the [insert team] didn't. 

I will say this though, if I could have picked a team to follow up, it probably would have been the 2015 Vikings. Diggs was just a rookie, but if they had a ready #1 WR that year, they have beaten the Seahawks and possibly the Panthers in the division matchup. That team feels like the perfect match up for some of our top teams in the AFC right now. 

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there’s absolutely nothing wrong with copying what other teams do that have success. I totally agree that you need a QB to make it work. But it sure helps if you get that QB help to make it work. That’s all I’m saying. I’d hate to see us spend most our assets (FA money and top draft picks) on defense this year bc we invested in the offense the last couple off seasons. Keep the throttle down to help Wilson. Get him another OLineman or 2. Get 2 TEs. Get another WR. Get a backup RB better than Coleman or Johnson. Keep building to put Wilson in the best possible situation. There’s nearly no young QBs who succeed without some serious weapons around them.

That's what I'm saying but it doesnt have to be a Chase or a Diggs or any of that for him to be successful, we just cant go years without adding anything like we did before which I dont think Joe will do, he's shown that so far. 

I just read a pretty decent article on the problem with the Jets D.  Specifically the front 4.  The gist of the article was the one gap scheme we play as opposed to a two gap scheme.  I mentioned previously that I am not a fan of the one gap.  But the revelation to me was how to fix what we have and it would only take one player to do so.  In short, Q needs to be replaced.  In the article, it mentions with proof the need to stop the run up the middle.  For that we need two big DT's playing over the OG's.  We need an EDGE and a DE to play contain and collapse the pocket.  We have three of those, Lawson, JFM and Fats.  We need a big body to replace Q.  It does not need to be a high draft pick, in fact getting a big DT on Day 3 would be the best use of our resources.

The next step would be to get LB that can fill the gaps.  Mosley isn't too bad at that but he may need to put the weight back on.  Quincy would be OK if he can play with some discipline.  We would nee a third LB that can cover better than those two.  CJ's and Quicy's numbers in pass D were not good.

In short, we would be mimicking the TB D.  The other thing it mentions that some of you will particularly find interesting (Bobby) is that it supports your current notions about DT's. A smaller, penetrating DT like Donald is a pipe dream.  There is only one A-Aaron so selecting a penetrating DT in round one is not a great idea.

Trade Q, draft a big bodied DT on day 3 and a cover LB (Muma?), resign Fats and switch the DT's to a 2-gap alignment.  Even if we don't want to get rid of Q, switch to a two gap where he played much better and see what happens.  I grantee the run D will move up in the rankings quite a bit.  This will at least force an O to be more one dimensional which will be easier to game plan for.

On 1/17/2022 at 12:42 PM, NYJets4716 said:

What is annoying is the fact that so many teams got good WRs in the 2020 draft. We ended up getting absolute bum in Denzel Mims. Never trust Baylor WRs. 

I knew this guy was going to be a bum just like the rest of the GM knew. He fell for a reason. When everyone was saying what a great move by JD to trade down and still get Mims. I was happy about the trade down but hated the Mims pick. He is a bust and will be out of the league in the next few years. I also would like to add that I don't believe a word the media spun about JD getting offers for Mims and he turned them down. That was a false leak or the media made it up. 

15 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Latest rumor is JD wants to move pick 10.  Whether that's for a star player or trading back to grab a 1st next year is not known.

If we are targeting WR or OL I have no problem dropping a few picks.  Also depends on what we do at 4.

I think the trade down from 10 to 20 with Pitts will happen. I think Pitts will get the 10 pick and the Jets will get Pitts 20 and their 3rd round pick along with next years first round pick. Then Pitts takes Pickett from their home town. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think the trade down from 10 to 20 with Pitts will happen. I think Pitts will get the 10 pick and the Jets will get Pitts 20 and their 3rd round pick along with next years first round pick. Then Pitts takes Pickett from their home town. 

I would do that trade in a heartbeat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm going to wait until after the combine to decide if I want us to trade back or not. As of right now, I'm not really interested in trading back. 

Yeah I always find myself thinking of certain draft ranges for guys come the end of our season but that all goes out the window by Early/Mid April. 

I wouldn’t want to make any rash decisions now as the expected qb boom always gets started after the SB and the 4th and 10th pick could become very valuable both in trade down situations and also the ability to select a blue chip player. 

• Like 1