2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

18 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I'm confused only because a Corner at 67% is deemed successful but a Post at 66.7% is not? 

That is factored in too the percentage of times he ran that route, so his corner % was only 1%, so 67% is successful, 2/3 times he won and he ran a post 6.2 % of the time, so 1/6 times is successful I think and my head hurts

• Like 1

Any stat can be twisted in a certain way.

Drake London for example doesn't get elite separation (I mean who does at 6'5" 220lbs). But he wins contested catches. As I'll continue to say... we don't want a WR room of nothing but Elijah Moore's out there. Who's winning jump balls at WR for us long term than? Who's boxing out CBs with a big frame in short yardage plays? Who's able to use their body for a back shoulder throw bc a CB has to respect that WR for a jump ball or quick slant? A bunch of 5'10" 190lb guys aren't offering that. Davis is that when healthy, but he's only here 2022 and 2023. 

Jameson Williams can take the top off of a defense. And his toughness is really getting downplayed. He needs to fill out that frame a bit more. But he doesn't play soft. Any defense that has to respect a WR that can beat you easily deep every play alters a game. I think I read a stat that he had some obscene amount of long plays this last season that was close to the most ever. 

Garrett Wilson is the most comparable to that of Moore. And I love Moore, one of my favorite draft picks for us over the last couple decades actually. But it's nice to have a WR room that has guys that offer different things.

Davis if he can stay healthy is legit we cant forget. Mims maybe is that guy that's just an injury away that needs that opportunity to show it's clicked for him. Berrios is a great depth guy that can be a QBs best friend in the slot.

We just still need that weapon that teams fear. Can Moore be that? Maybe, but he isn't yet. I think Williams, Wilson and London mixed in with Davis and Moore makes our WR legit and good for a long time. And it has guys that can do different things (outside of Wilson, but I still would welcome him).

Still ideally we go WR at 10 and have a room of...

Outside WR1: Davis

Outside WR2: Williams, London or Wilson hopefully

Slot WR: Moore

WR4: Berrios

WR5: Mims

Injury happens on the outside, we could always move Moore to the outside and let Berrios start in the slot.

Only 8 of the 19 guys JD has drafted as our GM haven't been captains. So that has to be something we think about when thinking about who we might draft. He also loves guys with a RAS over 9.0 Issue with this is pretty much no DEs fit both those criteria (Hutchinson is the only one).

I find it incredibly odd how many top prospects this year weren't captains. I mean it's A LOT less than most years.

Here's a list of some notable guys who were captains that we could target with our top 5-7 picks...

Aidan Hutchinson

Evan Neal

Kyle Hamilton

Drake London

Jordan Davis

Chris Olave

Devin Lloyd

Tyler Linderbaum

Nakobe Dean

Zion Johnson

Kenyon Green

Travis Jones

Jaquan Brisker

Tre McBride

Chad Muma

Daniel Faalele

Kingsley Enagbare

Alec Pierce

Phidarian Mathis

Myjai Sanders

Troy Anderson

Jamaree Salyer

Rasheed Walker

Justyn Ross

Coby Bryant

Khalil Shakir

Damone Clark

That's the guys who I have ranked in my top 100 or so that were captains. That's our top 5 picks. So based on history you can bet that at least 2-3 of them if not more will have to be on this list.

Don't think it's legit? Look how he operates in FA as well. He gets leaders. It's clearly a big thing he values. 

for some reason I really like Treylon Burks as the draft nears ... too bad he couldn't be someone we could get in the 2nd ... anyone think any of these top 6 receivers other than Olave fall into the start of the 2nd ? (I dont think Olave is an every down do everything WR)

As the AJ Brown rumors heat up, I'm wondering what are the odds of Jameson Williams or Wilson being better than AJ Brown? 

I honestly don't know how I would feel if we traded for Brown and one of them turned out to be better. Trading for Brown without using a 1st would make the draft easier though.  

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

As the AJ Brown rumors heat up, I'm wondering what are the odds of Jameson Williams or Wilson being better than AJ Brown? 

I honestly don't know how I would feel if we traded for Brown and one of them turned out to be better. Trading for Brown without using a 1st would make the draft easier though.  

I thought the recent rumours were him saying he didn’t want to join us and that Tennessee are close to an extension with him? 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'd gladly welcome AJ. But talks seem conflicting. AJ seems a tad frustrated, but TEN seems to stand by that they'll get a deal done. The Deebo and McLaurin situations on the other hand have been very quiet. I think something has to go south fast for any of these 3 to get traded. Another situation to keep an eye on is Hardman in KC. At this stage though, I'm just hoping we draft a guy at 4 or 10.

To the "odds" that Williams or Wilson ever are AJ good?..... they're actually all 3 very different WRs IMO. So it's hard to compare.

AJ is a more productive Corey Davis type WR. Big, physical and can move.

Williams is more of that Randy Moss lite type guy.

Wilson is a lot like Moore just a tad bigger.

All 3 styles of play are great. They just all offer something different. Since we already have Davis and Moore... that's why I tend to want Williams the most. I besides his play style, still think he's the best WR in the class FYI.

So AJ Brown has averaged in 3 seasons pretty much exactly 62rec 1,000yds and 8tds a season. And that's with him missing 6 games in his career (4 last season). So that's a great stat line. So to say if any of those 2 guys will be that good, is quite a feet.

In all honesty it comes down to the team they get drafted by and the opportunity they're given. 

As Jets fans we have to look at it from our perspective for us. I'm going to throw London into this conversation now as well. Are we confident that if we draft Wilson, Williams or London at WR that they're 100% starting on the outside for us? You'd think so. Pretty much they'd be battling Moore and Berrios for the starting job. Because the only way I see them not starting "if healthy" is if they can't beat out Moore and Berrios. Moore is starting regardless, it's just whether he's in the slot or outside. If the rookie can't win that outside spot, then we'd move Moore outside and start Berrios in the slot. Now the other main thing is the "if healthy" part. 2/3 of the guys linked to us at 4 or 10 are coming off injury. Williams just tore his ACL in early January, but every report has him way ahead of schedule in his rehab and there's videos of him moving already at a very high level. There's no reason to think he wont make a full recovery and might even be ready Week 1. That being said... he'd be missing a lot of practices and camp to make sure he's healthy. Does that put him back to where when he's healthy he just hasn't had enough on field work to be counted on even when healthy? It's a legit question. For me I don't think you skip on an elite talent bc they might take a few games longer to really get going when you have them for 5 years. But that's just me. Now to London. He broke his ankle and has been out since Halloween. So he should be recovered by the time camp and all starts. He's not 100% yet, but should be in the coming months. In his workout he looked very close to the guy you see on tape from USC. So there's no reason to think he wont be what you see. He will have 100% the opportunity of drafted to win that starting WR role Day 1. Wilson has no injuries carried with him so he will be a full go for anything and everything. So he has every opportunity to win the starting job with us as well.

What did we learn though from last year with Mims? If the player doesn't know the playbook, they wont play. As fans we don't know how smart these kids are in football IQ in picking up the playbook. That's on the staff to figure out. Especially now that we 100% have a system that we know we will run and can test guys in meetings. All 3 have the same advantage bc all 3 offenses these guys came from have some of our system in it. Only guy I give a slight advantage to in this is London. Why? Bc he was a captain and a leader. Something JD looks for.