My First Mock Offseason of the Year

DaWg_LB.

Hotep Good Brothers….I’m going to Jump right into this offseason, because there is plenty to read. First with my FA moves I am not going to suggest contracts, I don’t want to get that granular with this thing at this point, maybe on my final offseason. I am also not going to project trades in the draft. And this one I will include my First draft I did with a very WR centric draft (Boom or Bust type of situation). So with that. If you don’t see him on the Let walk or cuts list then the player has been retained.

Let Walk/Cuts: Landry (save 15M), Anthony Walker Jr., Ronnie Harrison, Porter Gustin, I. Odengibo, Malik Jackson, Malcom Smith, Eli Lee, Case Kenum (save 7M), Chris Hubbard, Rashard Higgins, (on the fence about Janovich FB, Johhny Stanton looks like a good FB ready to play and takk Mckinley, can he make it back from a late season Achilles tear, with the same explosiveness?)

Resign/Tender (-T): #1 CLOWNEY, #2DAVID NJOKU, D’Enrest Johnson -T, M.J Stewart, Mack Wilson -T (he was not horrific this year and was good on special teams), Sione taki-taki -T (he’s our best Run stopping OLB and good on special teams), Malik McDowell -T, Resign Denzel Ward.

Free Agent Signees:

Tim Settle DT 6’3 308 WFT – Our new Starting NT (24 years old)

Allen Robinson  WR 6’3 216  Chicago – Our new #1 Wr

Josh Rosen QB 6’4 228 Atlanta – Our yearly reclamation project. He was one of my top rated qbs coming out the year he did. I think bouncing around has humbled him and he’s ready to learn.

NFL Draft:

1rst Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame
Height: 6-4. Weight: 220 (
I wanted a WR, but when one of the top 3 defenders drops to you…)

2nd David Bell, WR, Purdue
Height: 6-2. Weight: 208 (
Our new Competition for #2 Wr with DPJ, looser is #4)

3rd Kingsley Engabare, DE, South Carolina
Height: 6-4. Weight: 265
(going back to SC for a DE)

4th Wan'Dale Robinson, WR, Kentucky
Height: 5-11. Weight: 185 (
Our new competition for the Slot Wr. With Schwartz, looser is #5)

4th Justyn Ross, WR, Clemson
Height: 6-4. Weight: 205. (
we swing for the fences here, if healthy would be a 1rst round pick)

5th Chad Muma, ILB, Wyoming
Height: 6-3. Weight: 242

6th Obinna Eze, OT, TCU
Height: 6-6. Weight: 329

7th Parker White, K, South Carolina
Height: 6-4. Weight: 205

Top UDFA’s (each one gets a protected Practice Squad Spot)

Baily Zappee, QB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220

Isaiah Chambers, DE, McNeese State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 255

Ali Fayed, DE, Western Michigan
Height: 6-2. Weight: 256

Tayland Humphry, NT, Univ. Louisiana
Height: 6-4 1/2. Weight: 353

Depth Chart:

QB: Baker “F’ing” Mayfield/ Rosen / (ps)Zappee

RB: Chubb/Hunt/Johnson/Felton jr.

FB: Stanton IV

WR: Robinson/DPJ/Ross

WR: Bell/DPJ/Ross

Slot: Schwartz/W. Robinson

TE: Hooper/Njoku/Bryant

LT: Wills/Bintonio/Eze

LG: Bintonio/Hance

😄 Tretter/Harris

RG: Teller/(winner of Dunn vs Forbes)

RT: Concklin/Hudson III/Eze

DE: Garrett/Engabare/(winner of Jackson vs Weaver vs the two UDFA’s)

DE: Clowney/Engabare/(winner of Jackson vs Weaver vs the two UDFA’s)

DT: Settle/Tongia

DT: McDowell/Elliot (make or break year SON!!!)

WOLB: JOK/Fields

MLB: Phillips/Muma

SOLB: Taki-Taki/Wilson

CB: Ward\Greedy\AJ Green

CB: Newsome III\Greedy\AJ Green

$.05 CB: Hill\Newsome III\AJ Green

FS: Hamilton\LeCount

SS: Johnson III\Stewart

Slot Safety: Delpit\Stewart

Ok Good Brothers have at, tear away.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

2022 Off-season 

Cut

Juice: I love a lot of what he brings, but he’s a slot only guy with no top end speed.  You simply can’t pay 15 million for that skill set. No dead money.

Hooper: Post June 1st  he saves 9.5 with a 3.75 dead cap.  Bad deal by AB, it’s time to get out of it.

Conklin: I’d obviously rather he continue playing here, but if he’s actually done, 3 million dead cap with 12 million in savings.

Keenum: 1.3 dead cap, saves 6.5.  We’re not going to play him unless the QB is on his deathbed, so use the cash elsewhere.

Cutting those guys costs us about 8 million in dead cap and saves us about 43 million (net).

Let walk

Malik Jackson, Ronnie Harrison, Hubbard, Higgins, Malcolm Smith: none of these guys move the needle or are simply not worth investing more time and resources into developing.  

Resign (all contract numbers based on Spotrac/Over The Cap projections if available)

Ward: 5/94.  You can’t let elite players at premium positions walk.  Simply can’t.

Njoku: He’s not great, but he’s a starting caliber player imo and one of the few guys who could be confused with a weapon at times. 4 years/28 million 

Clowney: Can’t let him walk. I think they have him undervalued at like 9 million, so I’d go so far as something like 1/16.

MJ Stewart: Looks like a versatile piece that could be our FS. 2 years/6 million.

D’Earnest: 2nd round tender, 3.4 million/1 year.  A lot for a 3rd RB, but he’s been solid af when called upon and this offense starts and ends with the run game.  No reason to let him walk.

Anthony Walker: not an ideal starter, but a decent depth player.  Same deal as last year 1/3 million.

Colquitt: league minimum 

The kicker: league minimum.

McDowell: whatever ERFA contract he’s due 

Free Agents

WR DJ Chark: 4/48.  Not going to be anyone’s ideal signing, but if we’re being honest the top guys aren’t going to come here, so we overpay for a decent #2 who can stretch the field.

DT Tim Settle: Underrated player buried on a deep DL.  Would be an instant upgrade over Jackson.  Still young at just 24 and adds some needed size inside while still being a capable rusher.  4/24 million

Obviously they’d need to sign a rando here or there, but that’s all I’m really looking for in FA.  Not a fan of spending a ton on guys who produced on other teams in other schemes (See the list of guys I’ve got us cutting if you’re wondering why).

Draft

R1: Garrett Wilson.  Because tOSU prospect and FF Browns forum, name a more iconic duo.  He’s everything we need at WR.

R2: Travon Walker, DE; Even with Garrett and Clowney we still need another pass rusher.  Dude is a physical specimen.

R3: Zion Nelson, G.  Three year starter at LT and just turned 21.  He moves inside for us (I’ll get to that in a bit).

R4: Darrian Beavers, LB: Not what I’d honestly expect our FO to do, but he can play inside/outside and on the edge.  Zaven Collins/Simmons type of player.  Could add versatility we currently don’t have.

R4: Jelani Woods: Huge TE who was productive in the pass game.  

R5: Tre Sterling, S: Keeping adding talent at S 

R6: no clue

R7: some dude.  Preferably a good one.

The plan: Offense 

Roll with Baker year 5 and see how that plays out.

Return all 3 talented backs.

Woods becomes the 2nd/3rd TE and Njoku is the starter with Hooper gone.

Chark and Wilson are the starters, DPJ is your 3rd.  Schwartz is the deep threat.  Felton becomes your slot/gadget guy.

The OL is where things change up a bit. At this point I’m ready to move Bitonio to LT and Wills to RT. Tackle play was an issue all season, and it can’t continue. Nelson takes over at LG with Teller obv at RG.  I chose to keep Tretter one more year as he’s still effective and we’d be starting a rookie next to him.

The plan: Defense

The secondary remains unchanged with just the addition of Sterling as a depth player. 

Id like to see Beavers, Phillips and JOK as the 3 primary LBs with Fields, Takitaki, and Walker as the reserves.

At DT Settle and McDowell and hopefully either Elliot or Togiai develop a bit.

DE starters are unchanged, but Walker takes Takk’s role and then some. Beavers can take some reps here as well if they wanted to, but I would never expect a Browns DC to be that creative.

The plan: Teams (they’re not special)

Bring back the kicker as he’s fine.  Cleveland is a tricky place to kick and other than Dawson everyone else has been different versions of the same dude.  Meh.

Colquitt isn’t great, but he’s a reliable vet.  He’s not gotten to lose us games.

Returner: Hopefully Felton can figure things out.

Ok chumps, have at it.

🤔

Well done!

I still think Hubbard and Janovich should be signed.  Landry would need a steep pay cut if Berry thinks he is ultimate professional who can help tutor rookie WR’s.  Jordan Davis is my choice for 1st pick.  I suggest just two draft picks on WR.  Punter and kicker need to be given competition as both current veterans are average.  As for money and cap space, I am sure Berry and staff will continue to act wisely.

• Like 1

Hotep Good Brothers, the sky is not falling, but due to our PCP incident, I have made adjustments to a couple of my original sections….or course there is no tender for McDowell (unless its somehow proven that a random maid in the hotel where he was staying slipped him some Ayahuasca without his knowledge)….but I have 2 Free agent additions and some draft modifications.  

Free Agent Signees:

Tim Settle DT 6’3 308 WFT – Our new Starting NT (24 years old) (unchanged)

Allen Robinson  WR 6’3 216  Chicago – Our new #1 Wr (unchanged)

Josh Rosen QB 6’4 228 Atlanta – Our yearly reclamation project…….(unchanged)

Auden Tate 6’5 228lbs Cinn – (like Tim Settle, we grab a talented kid who’s stuck as a backup)

(Thinking about Giving Olivier Vernon a call…….last Dance?)

NFL Draft:

1rst Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 225 (my #1 WR since pre-season…..I start talking about him last season)

2nd Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 262 (we need DE’s for the rotation and injury insurance)

3rd Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama
Height: 6-4. Weight: 320 (we go to the Crimson tide to shore up the DT position)

4th Jerreth Sterns, WR, W. Kentucky
Height: 5-10. Weight: 195 (Led the nation in receiving, Strong Blood lines)

4th Sam Williams, DE, Ole Miss
Height: 6-3. Weight: 256 (Alternate pick to Kinglsey Engabare S.C.)

5th Obinna Eze, OT, TCU
Height: 6-6. Weight: 329 (3 year Starter at LT)

6th Chad Muma, ILB, Wyoming
Height: 6-3. Weight: 242

7th Markquese Bell, FS, Florida A&M
Height: 6-3. Weight: 205 (Poor mans Kyle Hamilton…big buzz in the HBCU community)

Top UDFA’s (each one gets a protected Practice Squad Spot)

Baily Zappee, QB, Western Kentucky
Height: 6-1. Weight: 220

Parker White, K, South Carolina
Height: 6-4. Weight: 205

Ali Fayed, DE, Western Michigan
Height: 6-2. Weight: 256

Tayland Humphry, NT, Univ. Louisiana
Height: 6-4 1/2. Weight: 353

Depth Chart:

QB: Baker “F’ing” Mayfield/ Rosen / (ps)Zappee

RB: Chubb/Hunt/Johnson/Felton jr.

FB: Stanton IV

WR: Robinson/DPJ/Ross

WR: Burks/DPJ/Ross

Slot: Schwartz/Sterns

TE: Hooper/Njoku/Bryant

LT: Wills/Bintonio/Eze

LG: Bintonio/Hance

😄 Tretter/Harris

RG: Teller/(winner of Dunn vs Forbes)

RT: Concklin/Hudson III/Eze

DE: Garrett/Johnson

DE: Clowney/Williams

DT: Settle/Tongia

DT: Mathis/Elliot (make or break year SON!!!)

WOLB: JOK/Fields

MLB: Walker/Phillips/Muma

SOLB: Taki-Taki/Wilson

CB: Ward\Greedy\AJ Green

CB: Newsome III\Greedy\AJ Green

$.05 CB: Hill\Newsome III\AJ Green

FS: Johnson III/LeCount/Bell

SS: Delpit\Bell

Slot Safety: Stewart\Delpit

Ok Good Brothers have at, tear away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

NFL Draft:

1rst Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 225 (my #1 WR since pre-season…..I start talking about him last season)

2nd Jermaine Johnson, DE, Florida State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 262 (we need DE’s for the rotation and injury insurance)

3rd Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama
Height: 6-4. Weight: 320 (we go to the Crimson tide to shore up the DT position)

This would be fantastic 

Two things I wanted to add.....the First...I started thinking about this about 2-3 days ago.....when our Dline coach and Asst. dline coach both left to go back to the College rank and be coordinators...I get it....but we do have a gaping hole there in coaching....and loosing both starting DT's from last year....Now we could put coach Bloom in charge who has coached a Dlne on the College and Pro levels...but we can NEVER have too many smart People in the Room.....I would like to see Joe Woods get Promoted to Assistant HC Defense, and then we Steal Patrick Graham away from the Giants, bring him in as DC/Dline Coach (Wood retains play calling). Let Coach Phipher concentrate on getting special teams sorted.

If Stefanski misses a game, Woods goes to HC and Graham calls the defense, of course Van Pelt calls the offense.....

I see that Baltimore is parting ways with Martendale, and I bet you the Ravens didnt do that for nothing....if I was the Browns I would explore that move....(WATCH these Sneaky Bastards)

Also an Alternative to my 3rd round pick.....as kid I didint think was coming out till next year., Ive been watching him ever since he was a commitment to Miss St...then he vanished.....Luther Ellis Kid...his pops played for the lions for a bunch of years....kids got good bloodlines and is a STOUT run Stuffer....his dad coached him at Idaho...I wondered what happened to Ole'Luther....

3rd Noah Ellis, DT, Idaho
Height: 6-4. Weight: 366

There is also a TE who should be a Soph...I think is last stop was Georgia but he keeps getting in Trouble.....his name escapes me at the moment...he was supposed to be as good as Kyle Pitts when HE was coming outta HS.....gotta find that kid. Also on the TE front....look for Hunter Henry's little Brother to start making noise at Arkansas Next year...TE.....and Njoku got two kid Brothers one who's a TE (was at UCLA transferred to Nevada and one who's a WR I think still at UCLA....

Edited by DaWg_LB.

On 1/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Me walking to the podium if Kyle Hamilton is there at 13

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

Bell and Ross?  

bell-ross-br-03-92-diver-orange-br0392-d

I’m in.

Robinson and Settle are instant upgrades.

Rosen on the cheap is intriguing.

Overall I like it and would be very pleased.

nice thought just looked at 6 different mock drafts nobody had us picking the same guy.

Berry has done a great job at being secretive.

• Like 1