Playoffs vs Titans

Beck Bristow

Shelvin is interesting. Obviously was a healthy scratch most of the year. Apparently was not very well graded against Cleveland when he did get a chance. With the injuries you would think this is his time, but the beat guys and everyone is assuming they will sign someone off PS or waiver wire rather than activate Shelvin. Brutal start for him if that's the case for his career. 

46 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I imagine with the injuries we see Shelvin active for this game.  I wouldn't expect any sort of pass rush help from him (maybe kick Cam Sample inside on obvious pass downs?) but stopping the run is Shelvin's jam, and could give Reader much needed breaks

Fingers crossed the reason Shelvin never came up this year is because they were healthy, and not because he sucks.  But from what Dehner said, it's probably the latter.

I imagine we'll see a FA pickup this week too to help cover the line.  And they'll probably play significant snaps.  Which, given it's the playoffs, is not great.  

All that said, the Bengals have a decent shot here.  If the passing attack is on point, i imagine it'll be a test of wills on game pace.  Bengals trying to speed it up, and Titans trying to slow it down with the run game.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, theJ said:

All that said, the Bengals have a decent shot here.  If the passing attack is on point, i imagine it'll be a test of wills on game pace.  Bengals trying to speed it up, and Titans trying to slow it down with the run game.

Absolutely. This seems like it is more of a game where the ball should be in Joey B's hands for the majority and attack their pass defense which isn't highly ranked (in yards at least). I felt good about our run D, but watching Jacobs get big chunks on Saturday worried me. 

I saw a stat yesterday that stood out and could be the downfall of this team and we say it a bit on Saturday. 

Bengals offensive rank in the redzone:

Weeks 1-6: 2nd

Rest of season: 28th

We have to get into the endzone when we get the redzone. 

Just now, ochocinco4pres said:

Absolutely. This seems like it is more of a game where the ball should be in Joey B's hands for the majority and attack their pass defense which isn't highly ranked (in yards at least). I felt good about our run D, but watching Jacobs get big chunks on Saturday worried me. 

I saw a stat yesterday that stood out and could be the downfall of this team and we say it a bit on Saturday. 

Bengals offensive rank in the redzone:

Weeks 1-6: 2nd

Rest of season: 28th

We have to get into the endzone when we get the redzone. 

Oof yeah that's a problem.  Not being able to run the ball for even a yard when the opponent sees it coming is probably the predominate reason.  Good reason to score from 20+ yards out :) 

Does anyone know what the deal with Geno Atkins is? He wasn't his best the last time he played but still a viable DT for a team. I read reports about how he was ready to visit teams, but nothing about why he never signed anywhere.

Seems like he would have been a good pickup for depth somewhere. Especially late in the season when teams had injuries and could bring in a well rested player. Thought he might be able to pick a contender and be a tool for them to use. But he's unsigned despite not being retired while showing interest in playing. I've not read anything saying that X, Y, or Z is the problem.

Wondered that all season because I would have liked to see him go somewhere and succeed. Out of appreciation for what he did for us here. Like Whitworth who we ran out of town. I liked seeing him playing well with his new family despite the sting of seeing how wrong our office was.

Bates is hollering for him to come in though it's not going to happen. But I've found nothing about why he shouldn't be on an NFL team.

I honestly dont know what happened with Geno. I think it is safe to say over the last few years his on field play declined. Part of that is age but I think injuries caught up to him quite a bit. He has never been a guy to talk a lot so it doesn't shock me that he hasn't come out and said anything. But the beat guys for the Bengals made it very clear on the podcast this week that Geno is not coming back. Whether that is his choice, the Bengals choice or what. 

12 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Team should be signing another DT to take Ogunjobi's place. I'll guess the rotation for the game in Nashville is Reader and Hill backed up by Toupou and Shelvin with the new guy not active. If we get Hendrickson back at full speed that would help a lot.

According to Twitter Hendrickson was suited up on the side doing stretches and whatnot and positively progressing through the concussion protocol.  We'll see what happens, but just him being out there is a pretty big sign.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

If we win this game and go to the afc championship game, you gotta think Mike Brown goes all in next year for a super bowl run 

You'd think that is already the case. Thus window is opening and better protection for Joe and better pass rush can put this team over the top. Do it while Joe is cheap!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Nix said:

If we win this game and go to the afc championship game, you gotta think Mike Brown goes all in next year for a super bowl run 

Malik Wright has already said this season to “expect the unexpected” when it comes to the offseason.

This team has a ton of cap and is a good offensive line away from multiple years of SB runs.