2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

37 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Bye

Cutting 2 of our top 7 players seems…like a huge step backwards for Dallas. 

Hope they have a good plan. But it seems wasteful to waste good rosters with young talent. 

But I guess if it leads to mm being fired it would be a costly victory. 

• Like 2

Steven Jones should be fired from his position as Director of Player Personnel. Cause he sucks managing the CAP and waits till player have leverage over him during contract negotiations or gives bad contracts to aging players or over values current players

• Like 1

11 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Overpaid and underproduces. I don’t care how “loved” he is in the locker room. If you don’t live up to your contract, then you should be cut.

I agree whole heartedly this is why all professional sports is called a business. If a normal guy or woman went to work and continually under performed they find a way to get rid of you. Playing in the NFL is a privledge not something you take granted for. It's called put up or shut up on the sports field.

The D-Law thing could be an ongoing saga, unlike Amari who’s staying or most likely going by the 20th. Since Lawrence would (probably) be a post-June 1 cut anyway, we could threaten to hold onto him through the draft and into the summer when the market’s theoretically cooler and get the revised deal done then. 

1 minute ago, matt79511 said:

The D-Law thing could be an ongoing saga, unlike Amari who’s staying or most likely going by the 20th. Since Lawrence would (probably) be a post-June 1 cut anyway, we could threaten to hold onto him through the draft and into the summer when the market’s theoretically cooler and get the revised deal done then. 

It would really depend on how much cap space we’ll have to begin the new year. If we’re serious about retaining Gallup, Gregory, and Schultz, then having ample cap space is vital. If we’re neutral on them, then we have the luxury of additional time.

13 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Overpaid and underproduces. I don’t care how “loved” he is in the locker room. If you don’t live up to your contract, then you should be cut.

DLaw has minimum leverage because the 2022 edge crop is stronger than any I have ever seen. And I have been watching the Draft for a long long time.

http://draftscout.com/combine.php?GenPos=DE&DraftYear=2022&sortorder=LastName&order=ASC

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/positions/DE/1/2022

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

It would really depend on how much cap space we’ll have to begin the new year. If we’re serious about retaining Gallup, Gregory, and Schultz, then having ample cap space is vital. If we’re neutral on them, then we have the luxury of additional time.

It’s pretty rare that this FO does a straight release on player whose dead cap number ($19M) exceeds the immediate savings ($8M) so drastically, they seem to prefer to split it over two years. I suppose if they are that desperate for the guys you named it’s conceivable, $8M isn’t nothing. But you could also get that by, say, restructuring Martin with void years.