2022 Cowboys Offseason News and Notes

Matts4313

6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Calvin says he has “a feeling”, but this seems more like whispers from sources. Linebackers and edge rushers not on the visit list? Ebiketie, Mafe, Dean? Who else?

Thibodeaux? We've been hearing he may slide. 

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

He’s not sliding to #24. Maybe they’d trade up, but I don’t get the vibe that’s what Watkins is referring to here.

I’m not sure he’s been following the Cowboys’ draft history. Drafting top 30 guys has kinda been a staple

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

I’m not sure he’s been following the Cowboys’ draft history. Drafting top 30 guys has kinda been a staple

But maybe he’s hearing specific things this year?

I don’t know. A lot of smoke being thrown out there the last 48 hours, just trying to see through it. I still think the most likely scenario is they just sit tight and take Kenyon Green.

The man in charge of the Cowboys draft is tired but pleased with the work his staff was able to accomplish last weekend.

Will McClay, the Cowboys’ vice president of player personnel, knows the questions about first-round pick OL Tyler Smith and second-round selection DE Sam Williams won’t stop until they produce. That comes with the territory of putting the NFL draft board together for general manager Jerry Jones.

“I think we were prepared just as we were last year,” McClay told The Dallas Morning News on Tuesday afternoon. “When you go in the second round, when it wasn’t as — at least we deemed it — as much of a top-heavy starter level draft. [It was] more so a backup/compete-to-start [round]. You just had to find the right vision for a guy. I think our vision for what the guy could do and what are his areas of concern.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------

“We do have to take those [off-the-field] things into account. But we’re also not stupid. We take into account all of the things that he’s done since, where it came from and the reasoning why and trying to find out about the person more so than the story that’s going to grab headlines. We try and find out about the person that tells us about the player.”

The next phase is for McCarthy and the coaching staff to morph this talent into something that’s going to compete for a division title and push this franchise beyond the divisional round of the postseason.

It’s not a smooth task.

“I think like anything, I’ve always looked at the collection of talent as the starting line,” McCarthy said Saturday after the draft. “The connection of the talent among your football team is where the real money is at and what you’re focusing on.”

You can thank Will McClay and his staff for that.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2022/05/03/cowboys-vp-of-player-personnel-will-mcclay-on-how-dallas-found-right-vision-for-2022-draft-class/

35 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

We let it get to the wire on Tank, Amari, Dak, Gregory, Schultz, Gallup, Etc. 

Have to be smart about who you pay, but would love to get back to signing guys early. CeeDee and Diggs, come on down.

The only person on the roster that I think we can lock up right now on a seriously discounted deal is Steele. 

Diggs is coming off a 40 year old INT record. Lamb knows what we all do, he is going to be the crux of our passing game.

Schultz maybe? If he will negotiate for less than high end money.

46 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So many of you know who Tom House is? Right? Considered the QB whisperer. 

There is a guy named Duke Manweather. He is considered the OL whisperer. He just tweeted this:

I know he worked with Steele last off-season and really helped him. Is this him hinting at being hired by Dallas?

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

I know he worked with Steele last off-season and really helped him. Is this him hinting at being hired by Dallas?

From what I understand, he wont stick with one team. But I think we hired him for the offseason, maybe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

The only person on the roster that I think we can lock up right now on a seriously discounted deal is Steele. 

Diggs is coming off a 40 year old INT record. Lamb knows what we all do, he is going to be the crux of our passing game.

Schultz maybe? If he will negotiate for less than high end money.

There’s a lot of value to be had in negotiating a deal early, even if it doesn’t give you a huge discount on average annual value. Lower guarantees, for example, or longer contract length.

We can’t sign CeeDee or Diggs now anyway, so my example was bad. But next offseason, getting handed a $50M check a year early would definitely lead to getting beneficial contract terms for Dallas. Certainly better than when they are about to hit the open market and things have gotten ugly. Also, the contract will just keep going up. Market value today will be less than market value tomorrow.

For this offseason, Tony Pollard might be an interesting name, if you are planning to move on from Zeke next year. 

• Like 1