2022 Raider Depth Chart

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

Very good point. Because if we’re Talking talent, it would be also worth pointing out that Brandon Parker is also talented from a measurables standpoint. So the real question is whether or not Alex Leatherwood will be Kolton Miller or Brandon Parker. 

Indeed. 

It seems the coaching staff is going to give Leatherwood a chance to win the RT spot.  It appears to be a competition between Leatherwood, Parker, and maybe Jermaine Eluemunor.

Yes, there is a lot of things Leatherwood needs to clean up.  There all fixable issues though.  We have a very talented OL coach so there is a possibility he’s able to help him.  Leatherwood was able to push possible #1 overall pick Evan Neal to RT and that was only 1 year ago.  

I understand those who want to just make AL a guard because there’s a much better chance he turns into a very solid starter there.  Even I have held or hold that belief.  But the value of a starting RT is far greater then G and given the hefty investment the last regime Invested in AL it seems like the new regime wants to at least see what AL looks like back at RT.  

Let’s not forget that the Patriots OL system is very advantageous towards its OT.  They’ve been successful starting much less talented players then AL.  

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Indeed. 

It seems the coaching staff is going to give Leatherwood a chance to win the RT spot.  It appears to be a competition between Leatherwood, Parker, and maybe Jermaine Eluemunor.

Yes, there is a lot of things Leatherwood needs to clean up.  There all fixable issues though.  We have a very talented OL coach so there is a possibility he’s able to help him.  Leatherwood was able to push possible #1 overall pick Evan Neal to RT and that was only 1 year ago.  

I understand those who want to just make AL a guard because there’s a much better chance he turns into a very solid starter there.  Even I have held or hold that belief.  But the value of a starting RT is far greater then G and given the hefty investment the last regime Invested in AL it seems like the new regime wants to at least see what AL looks like back at RT.  

Let’s not forget that the Patriots OL system is very advantageous towards its OT.  They’ve been successful starting much less talented players then AL.  

It all comes down to his ability to play from the right side.  He might be a better LT prospect but that does not mean he is a better RT prospect.  Just because you can play one side does not mean you can play the other.

• Like 1

If the season started or half way through the season Leatherwood didn’t start would it be all that surprising? 

New regime and I have a hard time seeing them big on him while they were at the Pats. The way he was talked about at the combine was not very encouraging. Just wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t start or gets benched during the season. 

48 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

If the season started or half way through the season Leatherwood didn’t start would it be all that surprising? 

New regime and I have a hard time seeing them big on him while they were at the Pats. The way he was talked about at the combine was not very encouraging. Just wouldn’t surprise me if he didn’t start or gets benched during the season. 

Who was taking about him at the combine?!  

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

The Leatherwood scouting report was spot on:

Leatherwood has projectable traits, solid athleticism and position versatility, but suffers from a failure to consistently execute at a high level due to issues that might be correctable. He sees the game well and works to stay balanced and composed in pass sets, but struggles with ranging and redirecting at the top of the rush. He doesn't have a very strong outside hand in pass pro, but his length could become a more formidable tool with a change in approach. He's a positional run blocker who lacks knock-back power but is capable of operating in any run scheme. Teams will need to determine if he's a guard or tackle, but an upgrade in aggressiveness is needed in order to become a good NFL lineman.

On 3/26/2022 at 6:52 PM, Jeremy408 said:

Very good point. Because if we’re Talking talent, it would be also worth pointing out that Brandon Parker is also talented from a measurables standpoint. So the real question is whether or not Alex Leatherwood will be Kolton Miller or Brandon Parker. 

Brandon Parker was a D3 player, Leatherwood at least had some good tape at Alabama.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He was All-SEC for 3 consecutive seasons and in his final year at Alabama he was a consensus All-American, won SEC OL of the year, and was the Outland Trophy winner. 

Sure I agree with you. But some would point to Clelin Ferrell accolades and say that doesn’t guarantee that they’ll be good on the league 

41 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I like how they’re not just giving him a starting spot. He showed nothing to gain that. Which brings up what I asked the other day. If the season started and he wasn’t a starter I wouldn’t be shocked 

Yup. It also helps that they didn’t draft him so ultimately they don’t care where he ends up

On 3/26/2022 at 8:29 PM, jimkelly02 said:

I just want to make a few points about Alex Leatherwood, for everyone here.

There’s this whole Kolton Miller comparison going on.  Both sides of the AL issue keep using it.  But, it’s such a bad comparison… it doesn’t even make sense besides their both Raiders and OT.  This whole “Kolton Miller: Year 1 bust, Year 2 All Pro” way of remembering things totally Ignores critical bits of information like: Miller didn’t get up a sack for first 4 weeks of the season, then he gets hurt but due to poor depth he plays Thru the injury and starts giving up sacks.  By the time he finally got healthy he started to return to playing like he did the first 4 weeks.  Yes he gave up 16 sacks but he did so playing injured.  I’m not saying he was at an all pro-level without the injury but the whole “16 sacks” thing is contextual inaccurate IMO.  
Leatherwood only have given 4? starts at RT before moving inside to RG.  That’s not enough time to evaluate a rookie.  It doesn’t  surprise me AL is being given a second chance to play RT.  
There is this idea/narrative that for Alex Leatherwood to become a good starting  RT that he needs to make a “Kolton Miller level” jump in play.  That’s ridiculous and honestly it’s a little disingenuous to make that argument.  The rise of Kolton Miller is being portrayed as this epic, nearly impossible transformation in play.  Thus, the idea Leatherwood can regain the RT job is cast as a improbable event.  

Alex Leatherwood just needs to improve and beat out the other contenders on the roster, which honestly isn’t much.  Am I saying it’s my opinion that Leatherwood will be the starting RT? No.  I’m of the wait and see approach.  But it’s not a ridiculous idea to say Leatherwood could become the starting RT.  Let’s let him work one offseason with a good OL Coach and try and fix his issues, then see how he plays in the preseason.  He Doesn’t need to be an All-Pro year 2.  If Alex Leatherwood can become an average starting RT that would be a huge boost to this team.  

why AL was shifted to RG had less to do with his ineffectiveness at RT and more to do with the lack of even a warm body at RG. It is about getting the 5 best OL on the field in a combination that is most successful. 

the drop from AL to Brandon Parker at RT was insignificant in comparison from the increased production from the warm body play RG to AL. 

The Kolten Miller year 2 jump will be eclipsed by AL year 2 jump.