Pat Mahomes v. Josh Allen: The modern answer to Brady-Manning?

notthatbluestuff

Idk Brady is so far ahead of Manning that it wasn't much of a rivarly and I am unsure of whether Josh Allen is even a top tier QB yet as he has the worse stats of all the QBs involved. Mahomes is a little worse off than Manning at this point I would think, and Manning is a lot worse off than Brady early in their careers.

4 hours ago, NeptunePenguins said:

Idk Brady is so far ahead of Manning that it wasn't much of a rivarly and I am unsure of whether Josh Allen is even a top tier QB yet as he has the worse stats of all the QBs involved. Mahomes is a little worse off than Manning at this point I would think, and Manning is a lot worse off than Brady early in their careers.

I don’t see how Manning was better off than Mahomes at this point in his career. Mahomes is in his 5th season in the NFL, and 4th as starter. MVP with a ring and 2 SB appearances

After Manning’s 5th season (2002), he had no MVPs and 0 playoff wins. He didn’t accomplish either until 2003

18 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Just to throw it out there (I still have Mahomes over Allen until/if Allen can win a SB, big if), in the past 2 season this is how they stack up :

• Total Yards 
    • Mahomes : 10,268
    • Allen : 10,135
  • Total Touchdowns 
    • Mahomes : 79
    • Allen : 88
  • Completion %
    • Mahomes : 66.3%
    • Allen : 66.1%
  • INTs 
    • Mahomes : 19
    • Allen : 25
  • Record
    • Mahomes : 26-7
    • Allen : 24-9

It's a lot closer than you'd think. Mahomes has slightly more yards, less INTs and a slightly better record. Allen has more touchdowns. Completion % about equal. 

I mean if you omit the best year of someone’s career and the worst year of another person’s, they often look closer than you think right?

21 hours ago, The BILLievers said:

Just to throw it out there (I still have Mahomes over Allen until/if Allen can win a SB, big if), in the past 2 season this is how they stack up :

• Total Yards 
    • Mahomes : 10,268
    • Allen : 10,135
  • Total Touchdowns 
    • Mahomes : 79
    • Allen : 88
  • Completion %
    • Mahomes : 66.3%
    • Allen : 66.1%
  • INTs 
    • Mahomes : 19
    • Allen : 25
  • Record
    • Mahomes : 26-7
    • Allen : 24-9

It's a lot closer than you'd think. Mahomes has slightly more yards, less INTs and a slightly better record. Allen has more touchdowns. Completion % about equal. 

If you’re gonna do total touchdowns you need to do total turnovers as well

Mahomes: 25

Allen: 34

Also playoff stats from the last 3 seasons would give a more complete picture. Overall it’s the area where Mahomes excels the most

Edited by Nightime

They've tried to paint every young QB in the AFC + Mahomes as the next big QB rivalry at some point. We've heard Jackson/Mahomes, we've heard Allen/Mahomes, we've heard Herbert/Mahomes, we've heard Burrow/Mahomes. Leading up to week one, there were articles about how Mayfield/Mahomes had already faced off in college. It's all just flavor of the week hype to drive clicks/views in the lead up to the games. It takes way more history than Mahomes currently has with anyone to reach Brady/Manning levels of hype. Like, Peyton played the Patriots 24 times, I think? Between regular season and post season. It was an annual meeting because those guys won their divisions basically every single year. There are so many things that could happen to prevent that kind of longevity between Mahomes and Allen. And for what we have so far between the two, you have only 3 matchups, and I would argue none of the three were good games. Late scores made a better look for what was really a blowout in the championship game last year. Buffalo had us handled without a problem this year. The regular season game last year was closer, but was more about our run game than Mahomes, while Allen struggled to complete half his passes. As good as the matchup does seem like it should be, so far they've all kind of been bad games. They haven't had any actually epic matchups so far. Maybe that can change this weekend. But point being, it's way too early to talk like this, IMO.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, Jakuvious said:

As good as the matchup does seem like it should be, so far they've all kind of been bad games. They haven't had any actually epic matchups so far. Maybe that can change this weekend.

You spoke it into existence.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, Jakuvious said:

They've tried to paint every young QB in the AFC + Mahomes as the next big QB rivalry at some point. We've heard Jackson/Mahomes, we've heard Allen/Mahomes, we've heard Herbert/Mahomes, we've heard Burrow/Mahomes. Leading up to week one, there were articles about how Mayfield/Mahomes had already faced off in college. It's all just flavor of the week hype to drive clicks/views in the lead up to the games. It takes way more history than Mahomes currently has with anyone to reach Brady/Manning levels of hype. Like, Peyton played the Patriots 24 times, I think? Between regular season and post season. It was an annual meeting because those guys won their divisions basically every single year. There are so many things that could happen to prevent that kind of longevity between Mahomes and Allen. And for what we have so far between the two, you have only 3 matchups, and I would argue none of the three were good games. Late scores made a better look for what was really a blowout in the championship game last year. Buffalo had us handled without a problem this year. The regular season game last year was closer, but was more about our run game than Mahomes, while Allen struggled to complete half his passes. As good as the matchup does seem like it should be, so far they've all kind of been bad games. They haven't had any actually epic matchups so far. Maybe that can change this weekend. But point being, it's way too early to talk like this, IMO.

This. Call me in 10 years if you want to say this is the new Brady vs Manning rivalry. Brady's first game was against Manning and Manning's second to last game was against Brady. 15 years either Manning or Brady were in the Super Bowl or you had to beat them to get in. 

2001: Brady wins SB

2003 Brady wins SB going through Manning

2004 Brady wins SB going through Manning

2005 Steelers go to and win SB going through Manning

2006 Manning wins SB going through Brady

2007 Brady goes to SB

2009 Manning goes to SB

2011 Brady goes to SB

2012 Ravens go to and win SB going through Manning and then Brady

2013 Manning goes to SB going through Brady

2014 Brady wins SB

2015 Manning wins SB going through Brady

From 2001 (Brady starts) to 2015 (Manning retires) those two impacted every SB but 3. And one of them you needed Brady to be injured all year. They were constantly jockying for AFC position their entire career. Those guys gatekeeped the AFC, were usually the 1 seed in the AFC and fighting over it, and also had 5 games that all determined who would represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. 4 of which determined the league champion.

That's without even getting into narratives, which Mahomes and Allen so far do not have. 

Brady vs Manning is the the Magic vs Bird of the NFL. It's probably the defining rivalry in league history between two players.  

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 3:53 PM, DoleINGout said:

No I think it will be Burrow versus Herbert if anyone.

Mahomes and Allen are like the Rodgers/Roethlisberger/Brees guys in the background of the Brady/Manning rivalry years.

Brady-Herbert

Manning-Burrow

Brees-Mahomes

Rodgers-Allen

Roethlisberger-Watson

Rivers-Prescott

Ryan-Lawrence

Favre-Fields

Warner-Mayfield

McNabb-Murray

Garcia-Lance

Palmer-Mills

Trent Green-Daniel Jones

Hasselbeck-Mac Jones

Eli-Wilson

Culpepper-Hurts

McNair-Tua

Vick-Jackson

Edited by DoleINGout

Their games are so different to the Brady/Manning games. Only one that comes to mind similar is the 24 point comeback from NE in Fox in 2013, but even then, plenty of running and slow methodical football, good defense.

Allen/Mahomes games are different. You really do feel it's up to only them how it goes. 

It's also kind of amazing that a 25 year old former MVP isn't even considered a top 4 QB (5 if you count Watson) in his own conference going forward (rightfully so btw). Goes to show how insane the talent is over there, and that the next decade is going to be wild.

• Like 1