Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

I’m going to play Devil’s advocate here and say that while Caldwell is old, he’s a proven, good coach. He won’t last through Fields’ career, but he’ll definitely last long enough to bring Fields along. And if Fields becomes a star under Caldwell, Bears will have no trouble finding a successor.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I’m going to play Devil’s advocate here and say that while Caldwell is old, he’s a proven, good coach. He won’t last through Fields’ career, but he’ll definitely last long enough to bring Fields along. And if Fields becomes a star under Caldwell, Bears will have no trouble finding a successor.

Totally agree with all of that.

But Daboll is the next Bears head coach...

12 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

But Daboll is the next Bears head coach...

As much as I would like it and wonder what his history is with a guy like Monti Ossenfort who apparently impressed during his interview I have a hard time seeing him come here with Schoen in NY...that's where I see him coaching next year due to the fact I don't believe a first year GM is going to run the risk of hiring Flores and getting into a power struggle with him.

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

As much as I would like it and wonder what his history is with a guy like Monti Ossenfort who apparently impressed during his interview I have a hard time seeing him come here with Schoen in NY...that's where I see him coaching next year due to the fact I don't believe a first year GM is going to run the risk of hiring Flores and getting into a power struggle with him.

If Daboll was accompanying Schoen...it would have been a double announcement. 

I've certainly been wrong on various predictions before, I'd be stunned if I was wrong on this. 

Daboll is the next Bears coach. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

I’ve seen some talk on Twitter connecting Josh McDaniels to the Raiders job in the last few days.  That’s the only teams I’ve seen him connected to at all.

I doubt McDaniels goes anywhere, based on his weird lack of presence in all the off-season discussion...

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Daboll is a guy who has connections to many different football people, including Bill Polian so I don't think he's necessarily tied to going to NY where Joe Schoen now is.

Although maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part lol. I totally get that people are going to assume that Giants are the favorite landing spot for him now

5 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Caldwell as an OC? I'll take him if we go with a defensive coach as there are not many great OC options out there.

As far as HC goes we could do worse but I'd rather go with someone who will possibly stick around long term 

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Whoa, #Ravens say defensive coordinator Wink Martindale is moving on.

This is a big surprise and if we went with an offensive guy hopefully he shares an agent with Wink.

Ya Wink would be a decent add..though I'd still prefer Fangio over anyone else.

Speaking of Vic Im calling it right now that unless Jim Harbuagh takes an NFL job then he will be joining John Harbaugh's staff as DC in Baltimore. 

If your Ravens I just don't see why you'd let go of Wink unless there is a much better option available ..and Fangio fits that bill 

6 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

If Daboll was accompanying Schoen...it would have been a double announcement. 

I've certainly been wrong on various predictions before, I'd be stunned if I was wrong on this. 

Daboll is the next Bears coach. 

The Giants didn't do a duel search though...Daboll will still need to interview and be signed off by top brass...if they didn't have a proper interview process and started the season 0-3 NY fans would want them both sacked there and then 😂

53 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ya Wink would be a decent add..though I'd still prefer Fangio over anyone else.

Speaking of Vic Im calling it right now that unless Jim Harbuagh takes an NFL job then he will be joining John Harbaugh's staff as DC in Baltimore. 

If your Ravens I just don't see why you'd let go of Wink unless there is a much better option available ..and Fangio fits that bill 

With an offensive HC Fangio would of course be the best choice...he makes for the best DC in football outside of maybe Pittsburgh...

I'm just not sure he would come back to Chicago when he would have the choice of basically anywhere.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Daboll is a guy who has connections to many different football people, including Bill Polian so I don't think he's necessarily tied to going to NY where Joe Schoen now is.

Although maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part lol. I totally get that people are going to assume that Giants are the favorite landing spot for him now

NYG wanting Daboll and Daboll wanting NYG if he has other potential HC options are two separate things though IMO. If Daboll believes Fields can be Allen or Russell Wilson under his tutelage and our job is available to him then a prior relationship isn’t necessarily needed - he will just need to be able to trust that the GM will be able to put the necessary pieces around him, and any of the guys on our list should be able to do that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

NYG wanting Daboll and Daboll wanting NYG if he has other potential HC options are two separate things though IMO. If Daboll believes Fields can be Allen or Russell Wilson under his tutelage and our job is available to him then a prior relationship isn’t necessarily needed - he will just need to be able to trust that the GM will be able to put the necessary pieces around him, and any of the guys on our list should be able to do that. 

My worry is more about how we view Daboll...nothing came out about his interview going well (or badly) Schoen was the clear favourite for the Giants job and the connection there is obvious...when we heard the Jags wanted Eberflus we were quick to put it out there that we were still interested in him and named him a finalist...we have sat on our hands here and it makes me wonder if George & co don't view Daboll as highly as we do.

I was having a look at tonight’s playoff games and it is truly amazing how good the Titans are…if you look at there roster outside of Derrick Henry, A.J Brown, Jeffery Simmons & Kevin Byard they have very view players who you could argue are top 10 guys at that’s position…Ben Jones, Taylor Lewan & Harold Landry are all good but probably not top 10 and outside of that they are doing it all with Tannehill at QB…they are 12-5…Vrabel in his 4 years there is 41-24 and has been to the playoffs 3 times…they play simple, smart, tough, fundamental football and very rarely if ever beat themselves…you have to wonder if this is the kind of team we want to put together but then have Fields in there to add an x-factor.