Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 hour ago, G08 said:

I've been lukewarm on Quinn, but there are rumblings that he can put together a killer staff and, when asked what he would do differently from his time in Atlanta, he had impressive answers.

I mean... if he can get us the next Kyle Shanahan, sign me up.

Also has a history with Dirk Koetter... we could do worse!

As an ASU alum who lived through the HC Koetter years I still have some scars, but as an NFL OC he’s been pretty good, and he’s adapted to the talent he has well. He was the JAX OC when their offense was built around MJD, ran a more QB-centric offense in Atlanta and had TB operating at a top 10 level with Winston and Fitzpatrick. Also, the non-elite talent guys did well for him, like Mike Sims-Walker, Adam Humphries, etc. Uses TEs well too. And he’s not getting any HC gigs. I’d sign off on that. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I've been lukewarm on Quinn, but there are rumblings that he can put together a killer staff and, when asked what he would do differently from his time in Atlanta, he had impressive answers.

I mean... if he can get us the next Kyle Shanahan, sign me up.

Also has a history with Dirk Koetter... we could do worse!

How long did he keep Shanahan though?

I mean would Atlanta have been better off pulling a Tampa Bay and jetting Quinn and keeping Shanahan?   I think the answer is yes.

Quinn did nothing for Atlanta's D.   They were historically bad.   They were good offensively with Shanahan and bad without.

Then he goes to Dallas and turns their D around.  Go figure.  

7 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Also if it is Poles you have to go all in for Dan Quinn...pay him what it takes to convince him to come here...if that's that guy Poles wants then get him...don't just stick two guys together who have no interest in working with each other...it would be Pace and Fox all over again if we do.

Don’t you find it presumptuous that all the rumors are “This GM will hire that coach”? Schoen didn’t hire Daboll right away, and I wouldn’t expect Poles would hire Quinn right away either. Eberflus doesn’t necessarily mean Brown or vise versa either. 

Besides, if we hire a GM and he signs off on hiring a HC without even interviewing anyone else I would see it as a bad thing anyway, even if that guy is the guy I want as HC (Daboll). I would rather my GM be well researched and personally informed before chiming in with his opinion/recommendation/preference to George about the HC. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Besides, if we hire a GM and he signs off on hiring a HC without even interviewing anyone else I would see it as a bad thing anyway, even if that guy is the guy I want as HC (Daboll). I would rather my GM be well researched and personally informed before chiming in with his opinion/recommendation/preference to George about the HC. 

I think if you want to set your newly hired GM up for success, the second thing you give him after the front door key is all your info and tapes of the interviews for coach, say "I'm here if you want to know what I think" and then **** right off and let him do his job.  

As for coach, I really wanted an OC or offensively minded guy to develop Fields, but it seems like that's not as much of a priority. At this point I'm OK with any coach that will have game plans that make sense and can adapt on game day.  For all the talk of developing QBs, I think whether Fields is good or not is going to come down to Fields and hopefully a framework that makes some sense and has consistency.  If it's Elderfloss I will do my best to get over the fact that he's a dead ringer for a guy I went to high school with who owns a chain of car dealerships and whom I wouldn't trust with a nickel. I'll be OK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GOGRIESE said:

I can only imagine how disturbed Windy is right now with George's outfit while picking up Poles at the airport. 

LOL at the people complaining about this all over social media

Bears fans and Chicago media will find a way to criticize anything & everything when it comes to this team

Like some comments saying I can't believe the owner is not wearing a suit or didn't fly Poles in via private jet and picked up on the tarmac in a limo....😂

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

LOL at the people complaining about this all over social media

Bears fans and Chicago media will find a way to criticize anything & everything when it comes to this team

Like some comments saying I can't believe the owner is not wearing a suit or didn't fly Poles in via private jet and picked up on the tarmac in a limo....😂

Bet they flipped out when a certain president wore a tan suit too. 🤣

• Like 1

I wonder if hiring Poles would make Dave Toub a candidate for us.  Just throwing it out there as they know each other even dating back to Poles' time with the Bears.

The word is that the Bears will hire a GM first and then let him run the search for HC

17 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I think if you want to set your newly hired GM up for success, the second thing you give him after the front door key is all your info and tapes of the interviews for coach, say "I'm here if you want to know what I think" and then **** right off and let him do his job.  

Exactly this. Hire the football guy, then let the football guy do all the football things.

18 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

As for coach, I really wanted an OC or offensively minded guy to develop Fields, but it seems like that's not as much of a priority. At this point I'm OK with any coach that will have game plans that make sense and can adapt on game day.  For all the talk of developing QBs, I think whether Fields is good or not is going to come down to Fields and hopefully a framework that makes some sense and has consistency. 

It hasn’t been a priority for George and his legion of tenured football pretenders (whose jobs aren’t on the line) and for Polian (who really has nothing at stake in the outcome). The new GM’s reputation and likely career will be largely tied to whether or not Fields is successful though, so I’d expect them to be far more focused on that. I do agree that a framework of common sense and consistency better sets Fields up to succeed (hence my preference for an offensive HC which largely ensures that) but ultimately it will be him that has to progress. There is zero question about his desire to do so and willingness to work for it. 

The way Fields’ teammates talk about him says plenty to me about him being able to max out his potential. Almost all players publicly support their team’s rookie 1st round QB, but they never said things like “elite” or “gonna be a star” and the like about Mitch. Or Rex. We’re fans and see things from a fan perspective, but the guys in the locker room know, and for them to be that extolling in their praise of Fields even as he struggled through an up and down rookie year speaks volumes IMO. 

45 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Don’t you find it presumptuous that all the rumors are “This GM will hire that coach”? Schoen didn’t hire Daboll right away, and I wouldn’t expect Poles would hire Quinn right away either. Eberflus doesn’t necessarily mean Brown or vise versa either. 

I'm just basing it off rumors of who Poles apparently is high off...I agree I would like any GM to interview these guys and pick his guy.

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Mike McDaniel isn't going to, and probably can't, leave SF for a lateral move

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Matt lafleur leave an OC position to be an OC in Tennessee so he could get experience calling plays himself before getting hired as HC the following year?

11 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Matt lafleur leave an OC position to be an OC in Tennessee so he could get experience calling plays himself before getting hired as HC the following year?

If they go elsewhere as OC but also with an Asst HC title it’s considered promotional unless they already have an AHC title where they are now.